Note to New Members ×

Cracked heel on boots

bobble

anyone besides me run into cracked heels are their boots?

i have cracks in both boots (suzukas). i just discovered it today while warming up in the chalet.

i suspect my bindings are (or were) too tight. beginning of the season they felt too loose so i adjusted the bindings.

how do you know if the bindings are too tight or too loose?

post-1112-141842268044_thumb.jpg

Wow, that looks like a huge accident waiting to happen. I'd say those are trashed.

I keep mine just tight enough that I occasionally need to use my other hand to assist. Not much help I know, but that's all I got for you. BTW, they always feel too loose to me in the house, I wait till they get to operating temp before adjusting them.

some nice boot rep going to come to the rescue since the unfortunate owner didn't come out and trash their product in open forum ?????:flamethro

not trashing... most likely will buy another pair of deeluxe boots.

just curious to know if others have experienced this problem with any boots.

its happened to me before with UPZ.

A little superglue and your GTG!

Rick

(that's why you disappeared today, huh?)

i went down warners down where its mild and fell on a heelside.

thought maybe i was tired. in retrospect the whole day seemed off. it felt like it was taking longer for heelside turns. i went into the chalet to warm my feet. i pulled the liners out. saw this light inside the boot near the heel. flipped the boot over and saw the crack. a new flex feature that i don't want.

bobble,

I used to do this to approximately one pair of boots per year. The boot is toast, chuck it. I went through 4 pair of boots, tried tighter bindings, looser bindings, didn't matter. Only thing that stopped it from happening:

Switching to Intec heels

I switched over about 4-5 years ago now and haven't broken a pair sense. Personally, for me, not being in intec heels I Am gambling with a chance of a bad crash.

Good luck!

bobble,

I used to do this to approximately one pair of boots per year. The boot is toast, chuck it. I went through 4 pair of boots, tried tighter bindings, looser bindings, didn't matter. Only thing that stopped it from happening:

Switching to Intec heels

I switched over about 4-5 years ago now and haven't broken a pair sense. Personally, for me, not being in intec heels I Am gambling with a chance of a bad crash.

Good luck!

holy crap... seriously?!? once a year! i had about 2.5 years on my suzukas.

i figured my boots are destroyed. it sucks but on the other hand i am extremely fortunate i didn't pop out of the bindings going down a run.

this has happened to me before on UPS (before UPZ) boots but only on the rear boot. had them for about four years. i popped out of the binding but was going really slow. my binding felt super loose so i went home. i discovered the crack in the boot when i got home. i had problems with the boot with buckles breaking, tongue cracking. i thought the heel cracking was due to riding in cold weather and age of the boot.

i have cateks. i'm about 210 lbs. not sure if i would classify my self as super aggressive when it comes to riding. where i ride the hills are very short so i'm always opening/closing the bales more frequently than those blessed with long runs or live near mountains. yes, another reason for intecs.

a couple local guys ride with intecs and i've seen them come out of the rear binding. its for that reason i've shied away from intecs. i thought the standard bindings were less prone to accidentally releasing the boot.

i had recently adjusted my bindings because the bale felt too loose. i moved the rear bale closer. it took some effort to close the bindings on cold days (around 0F). on those days i had to use my freehand to push it or slap it down. is that too tight?

thanks for everyone's input.

a couple local guys ride with intecs and i've seen them come out of the rear binding. its for that reason i've shied away from intecs. i thought the standard bindings were less prone to accidentally releasing the boot.

Im not trying to discount these riders at all . . . but they must not be putting their boot into the binding correctly. If the pins are properly engaged, the only way the boot would release would be from a catastrophic failure of the heel or the binding.

5 years on intecs. . . not one un-intentional release.

Good luck!

a couple local guys ride with intecs and i've seen them come out of the rear binding.

If you mean me, I use FAST, not Intecs. Rather common my holes get filled with snow and I'm too lazy to dig it out, thus my "boot click" on the chair ride up. Once I click in, I get it a lil tension and I'm good to go.....but 3x or so per year, I'm not. :)

IMO, the # of crashes I've had on Intecs are far below the number of broken Intec cables I've seen....although a simply upgrade could cure that.

My foot is a size 10 and wear 25.5 boots...and have a few extra pair if you wanna squeeze your foot in them.

K

If you mean me, I use FAST, not Intecs. Rather common my holes get filled with snow and I'm too lazy to dig it out, thus my "boot click" on the chair ride up. Once I click in, I get it a lil tension and I'm good to go.....but 3x or so per year, I'm not. :)

IMO, the # of crashes I've had on Intecs are far below the number of broken Intec cables I've seen....although a simply upgrade could cure that.

My foot is a size 10 and wear 25.5 boots...and have a few extra pair if you wanna squeeze your foot in them.

K

yeah, i have that video of you where your rear boot popped out. i thought they were intecs.

i know i've seen mark s. pop out more than once (a long time ago). i think joe d. has too.

maybe next season i'll try intecs.

• 1 year later...

I have heard of such things but I never thought it would happen to me. I dont know if this is from bindings being too tight or just old.

boots cracked above mounting point leading me to think it was not bindings?

Any opnions?

First day on used boots, what are the chances?

post-8525-141842297379_thumb.jpg

post-8525-141842297382_thumb.jpg

bobble,

Switching to Intec heels

Good luck!

This has always made sense to me, see my post here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=274908#post274908

some nice boot rep going to come to the rescue since the unfortunate owner didn't come out and trash their product in open forum ?????:flamethro

People on this forum need to stop looking for drama where there is none, and stop whining about it when somebody posts a photo of a failed product. Nowhere did the OP suggest this failure was a result of shoddy quality or workmanship by the boot maker. If they didn't say it: don't put words in their mouths. In this case the OP even suggested he thinks it is his own fault for over tightening his boots.

This kind of thread is helpful: eg: [don't overtighten your boots or you may crack your heels]/[intec heels reduce boot heel stress]. That is good, useful information that can help other users on this forum avoid the same fate. It is not bashing anyone's product.

If he had come out and said "deeluxe boots suck ... bla bla bla" that would be one thing, but he didn't.

Roy,

Thanks for the kind words. My put here is, we as a community I think have identified a real flaw in the equipment and I am wondering what manufactures are going to do about it.

I think that maybe we have become too used to having boots crack.

It seems like UPZ a lot but others also are suffering from the exact type and area of product failure.

Ok maybe this amounts to venting but I think that maybe the word will get back to them even if it is for product that is out of manufacture warranty

post-8525-141842297411_thumb.jpg

post-8525-141842297416_thumb.jpg