Note to New Members ×

Woohoo - just got my Stubby!

kjl

Hopping on the Stuebie bandwagon! Can't wait for some fricken snow to fall so I can test it out; if it rides anything like the Stubby I testdrove at last year's session I will not be disappointed! Thanks again, Bruce, for paying attention to my super picky graphic placement requests.

CoilerFull.JPG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats a masterpiece.. hat's off to Bruce for making what I think is one of the coolest new boards with a great graphics package. Boards that look like that should attract new people to carving.

I have to assume kjl's graphics are custom. A lot of us are using snowboardmaterials.com. For like $60 shipped for a topsheet, why the heck not?? I'll never have stock graphics again! :biggthump

Nice graphics! Kinda has an Atari look. Did you go X2 or M-spec or custom?

Thanks! I'm not sure which version of the Stubby it is; I basically just asked Bruce for a clone of the 171 13.x scr board with the crazy concentric circle graphics that I hogged... er... "demoed" at the session, except 2 cm longer (173).

Yes, it's really hard to pass up a custom topsheet when it's so cheap. I never noticed the Atari thing, but you're right :D I meant it to be just an abstract group of strong graphic shapes with a definite forward direction to it (that board really wants to be ridden forwards, not backwards, so now I can use that as an excuse to not know how to ride switch). Near the nose, I threw in a subtle super geeky movie joke; there's the solar sailer from Tron riding one of the light beams. Pathetic, I know ;)

tron_solar_sailer.jpg

CoilerNose.JPG

Thanks! I'm not sure which version of the Stubby it is; I basically just asked Bruce for a clone of the 171 13.x scr board with the crazy concentric circle graphics that I hogged... er... "demoed" at the session, except 2 cm longer (173).

Cool, so it's an X2+2!

nice tron reference. nerd! ;)

Anyone carve the stubby fakie? I should have mine this week some time and hope that it does a better job riding back words than the fc did.

On the one had the Schtubby is tapered and the FC is not, so that will make it tougher to ride switch. On the other hand Coilers have a flex pattern that is more balanced and that should make it easier to ride switch. My prediction: overall it will be easier.

What does a custom top sheet from these guys cost?? looks like pretty good DPI.

The DPI is OK - you can see some jaggies on angled high contrast edges (but it's on a snowboard, so who's going to be looking at it from 2" away? Also, the dark blue/purple -> bright yellow is a worst case scenario for high contrast), but the vibrancy of the color is just really great - the colors on the board are really bold and saturated; the pictures from my old digital camera don't do it justice. Also, there is no quantization or banding or anything else bad in the subtle color gradients - overall it is a really, really nice print. Definitely highly recommended.

Well basically I first asked for the exact spec you had on your board, but changed my mind halfway through..

I downgraded the radius to 13.2 because I never rode that big of a radius... and I think that Bruce only does 171 nowadays, no 170.

Everything should be the same (including the width you stated for your board)

After all I guess it doesnt make it a spec M anymore :)

Nope, mine is 170cm, 14.2m radius, 21cm waist. X2 is 171cm, 13.2m, 20cm.

Billy Bordy has designed a board and Prior has built it to his specs. We had a run done and believe it to be a nice version of the stubby, in which he also had a hand in laying out.

The B squared get's 160cm of running length out of a 175cm total with a 21.5 cm waiste and has a radius that averages around 15.5.

...and it's made to ride fakie all day long, if you prefer...