Note to New Members ×

Po folks have po ways

photodad2001

I can ride one with no issues (6 ft 260)

get the f3 flex for sure.

they are narrow but seriously make the best of a small hill, most versitile board under 170 I can think of as far as a dedicated carver goes. What I mean by that is you can make both long turns and comma sized turns with it easily.

the learning curve on it will be steep, there are easier boards you could get to learn to ride alpine on but this board might be worth learning on if you're willing to put in the time. It really requires correct input to work, would teach you good habits but would also not be a choice for the meek. you'd really be jumping in with that board.

Since you have and love a softboot setup I'm assuming you're not looking for a carver that would be to do anything other than rip turns like a mad man.

I'm a 20 year (I can officially say that now) snowboarder, 24 year surfer, 26 year skimboarder, and 30 year skateboarder. I've put in the time just not the equipment. I'd surprise you on softboot set up and even on outdated gear. What I want to know is can a rider as big as I am lay a 158 out flat with control. I'm not looking at races or competitions, I want to put on the preverbial snow deorderant on my armpits. Raised by Sims, Kemper, and Burton I want to know if I buy a short...er Madd it's going to put it to the ground. Also, with my foot size and prefered angles, 19.5 is my minimum width.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6'3"/200lbs, riding for 22 years(19 in hardboots), and you would never see me on a board that short. I like layin' em out too, and 167 is my lower limit. A 158 would be rideable, but I seriously doubt you would enjoy it.

On the other hand I understand what they're saying about using a shorter board to get more turns in, but I think 158 is overdoing it a bit(quite a bit).

if you haven't tried a Madd 158, stop your naysaying.

I am 6' 225lbs, 27 years on boards, Hardboots on and off since the late 80's and never ride anything under 170cm - except for a Madd 158. That board is unique. You can ride it like a wiggly quick slalom board or arc it out like a GS - I don't know how the sidecut works, but it is an all around great board. the only complaint I had with mine was that it does have speed limit. It gets a little squirrelly at high speeds, but as fun as this thing is to turn, you won't find that limit unless you are trying.

(edit: the one time I found the top speed was by straightlining the bottom half of the gondola liftline at Stowe - pretty steep pitch - where they set the race course - and didn't really have a problem till I hit the cross-ruts at the bottom - if you were at EcEs you'll remember that section)

I think 158 is overdoing it a bit(quite a bit).

I had sworn off boards shorter than 170 until I tried a Madd 158. I'm 6', 175. I don't think it's suited to big 'n tall types (prove me wrong, dea!), but not for a lack of stiffness. It requires very dynamic, aggressive, agile moves. Don't underestimate this board.

h1.jpg

image.php?u=5&dateline=1225724621&type=profile

I had sworn off boards shorter than 170 until I tried a Madd 158. I'm 6', 175. I don't think it's suited to big 'n tall types (prove me wrong, dea!), but not for a lack of stiffness. It requires very dynamic, aggressive, agile moves. Don't underestimate this board.

+1

don't get me wrong, I don't rip on it but the board is hot.

I'm just fat, otherwise not much bigger than jack.

Been on more than one SL deck from other vendors under 165 that rip too.

my biggest gripe with the Madd is the width, on the 170 it bothers me more for whatever reason though.

I don't have many pictures of me riding, never really felt the need. allegedly there's video of me getting stuffed in the bumps at steamboat but I've not seen it.

I rode a Crazy Creek 151 on a small hill at 220lbs, I don't find the concept of a heavy guy on a short stiff board to be all that foreign...I have on more than one occasion, thought very seriously about running a Madd158 on my local hill. Funding has been my problem

has it started snowing yet?

top poster called out by mod, n00b talking sh!t about boards he doesn't know, and me responding in a photodad post...you'd think it was the middle of summer

Just get out and riiiiiiiiiiide maaaaan!!!;) Back on topic, The classifieds so totally rock, one of my favorite rides right now is GeoffV's old jbird, for less than 2 bills. The great thing about this forum is the fact that you can find boards you are interested in trying, sort out what you like, pass them on to others and go in as an educated consumer when you are ready to buy new

mario

I've got all 3 Madds, 158, 170 and 180 and I love all three of them, but they all serve up different options for riding. Don't get me wrong Matt and Bob, the 158 is da bomb and one of my favorite boards I own. It is an absolute blast to ride, have the F3 and all never get rid of it. Plus it is pretty much impossible to buy a used let alone a new F3 158. Any one that owns one generally will not sell it.

But with that being said the 58 does have it's limits. The sweet spot on the board is very narrow, so for new riders it can be a difficult board to ride. Yes it is by far the best board I've ridden on the steeps and really does live up to its reputation as an Ice Piranha on the East Coast icy slopes, but it is specifically designed for that and does have a narrow margin for what conditions it can perform on. I know Jack will agree with my me as we share the same feelings about this board. For riders that can afford quiver, a 58 should definitely be part of it but if your are limited to 1 board I would not own just a 58.

Given that I have all 3 Madds I find myself using the 170 F2 more often because it is more versatile in various conditions, it's easier to ride, still carves the shiznet out of ice and performs amazing on the steeps. If you can only afford one board right now get a board that is more versatile in all conditions. Something like a Donek Axxess, Coiler AM or Prior 4x4. There are plenty of used ones that will pop up in the classifieds. Another board that has had great reviews is the Donek 171 and is I believe Sean's top selling board.

Jim's right about the 58 for the West, the board is way to stiff and will not live up to it's expectations in soft snow. Hell you can lay anything over out West and it will carve.

For riders that can afford quiver, a 58 should definitely be part of it but if your are limited to 1 board I would not own just a 58.

agreed.

If you can only afford one board right now get a board that is more versatile in all conditions. Something like a Donek Axxess, Coiler AM or Prior 4x4.

Bah. Coiler Schtubby.

I stay away for a day and miss out on all the great debating. I might be able to be talked into something as short as a 165 max, but unless I had a chance to ride it first, I'm going to have to pass on the 158. I haven't even started the job yet so I've got about a month left to figure out what I'm going to get. If anyone out there has a used Swoard that you were unhappy with because it was too wide and want to get rid of for a bargin basement price, or any other boards with a waist of 19.5-23.

GeoffV can't carve, pay no attention to his opinion.

your right and Jason and here is proof I suck:lol:

sgu8hk.jpg.small

Don't ask me WTF I'm doing, let's just call it the gay transition dance :freak3: (and not that there is anything wrong with that)

Here's video footage courtesy of Bob J shot at Sunapee 2 years ago

http://bjphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/6540252_ZFkoQ#415916069_yfSB5

Nice video. Is rider in red jacket Jack?

+1 on the nice vid from Bob. That was an awesome looking run and not look so much like the ice coast.??? You guys pulling our legs to keep us away?

BTW Gecko what is your photo job? Not to continue the thread jack but I will unless I become banned. Besides photodad is a togopher. So am I.

Curious.

Just get out and riiiiiiiiiiide maaaaan!!!;) Back on topic, The classifieds so totally rock, one of my favorite rides right now is GeoffV's old jbird, for less than 2 bills. The great thing about this forum is the fact that you can find boards you are interested in trying, sort out what you like, pass them on to others and go in as an educated consumer when you are ready to buy new

mario

What he said.

For a small mountain, I highly reccommend an F2 SL. They're amazing boards that hold on anything. Some of the most fun I've had while carving has been on that board.

I recommend an SL board for riding small hills. They are such a blast. I too, enjoy the F2, but I have tried others and the bottom line is that I prefer to be on an SL stick on small hills (unless there is a GS course or light traffic).

I would love to ride a MADD, but I cannot see having a 158. Like Jack said, they are probably not for the big and tall - which I am both. The shortest board I have had in recent memory is a 163 SL - both Volkl and F2. I was ecstatic when F2 came out with the 166 and now they don't make it anymore. :( A 163 SL would be a blast on your hills. I have also found them very fun to play on - I know that you hit up the park from time to time - very easy to jump and hit rails on *if you are already comfy on that stuff*.

My $.02

sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread...

I will bet you could make anything work with your experience!

Your local hill with 8 turns max would require a board that turns

right out of the gate? so the longer the stick, the longer it takes to get

to that first turn?

Only you know your hill and what equipment you have used there so just

maybe you need to make the final guess?:biggthump

Thanks first off, and second, my hill has a run called "The Face" that takes that 300 ft of vert and puts it into a nice wide, steep run. You very rarely see todays snowboarders on it as it doesn't offer any hits or rails, but since they cleared out the trees seperating the original TWO runs and made it even wider by taking out some trees on the right hand side it's the only run worth taking as an alpine snowboarder. Last year I actually saw 2 other guys there carving.

Where the heck do you ride.. Snow Trails.. Boston Mills,, Brandywine, Alpine Valley.. Peek and Peak..

Seems like you should ask what do people in your area ride? that weigh 200 plus.....

Wait..... that would be me, Helmut Karvelow, Mellow Yellow and Cuban Carving Jr..:freak3::smashfrea;)

Right said Shred

I've been at all those places, but since I worked as an instructor at Mad River Mountain in Bellefoutain from 88 to 95 I get some left over "perks". Highest point in Ohio with the most acreage and highest verticle drop within a 3 hour drive of Dayton Ohio. I'd love to meet up with you at MRM sometime. My other "local" hill is Perfect North in Indiana. I know Samantha, the "Manager of the mountain". She used to run MRM till 2004 then got a better offer. I could use a skilled carver to ride with. I find I learn more from riding with others that push me.