Note to New Members ×

Riding or Gear

JJFluff

Riding or Gear, where does the money go.  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Riding or Gear, where does the money go.

• I spend more money on gear.
    • I spend more money on riding.

I voted gear - season pass is $800, I'll spend $400 in gas... I'll probably have neat gear expenditures in the range of $1500 this season. That includes soft goods in addition to hard goods, ski-gees, the whole deal.

Last season I spent negative $$$ on gear though, as I sold much more than I bought.

Gear. I've been updating both my hard and soft set ups over the past couple of years to the tune of about a grand a season. Last year boots, this year bindings.

With the recent unveiling of the TD3s I'm glad everyone was sold out of TD2s when I started looking for end of season sales last April.

Riding for sure.

About $75-$100 (depending on prices) on gas each "local" turn around trip to the mountains, which easily turns into $1500 or more. $350 season pass.

Add in any other trips to bigger mountains (probably 3 of these a year), and the added expense of lodging, tickets, travel, food, etc. and the price goes north from there.

So far for the '08-'09 season, i'm about dead even on expense.

0 trips up = $0

Tanker 192 = $400

Season pass = $350

We drive 2.5 hours plus customs clearing (could be 2 or 30 minutes depending on the US guards feeling that day) to the closest 'good' ski hill. Most of my money goes to gas over the season. I can't even buy the cheap US gas while I'm down there as the small town near the hill doesn't have premium. :(

It's about $150/day for my wife and I to hit the hill; that's including gas, lifts, food. We typically get between 5 and 15 days a season on the boards.

We do a couple trips a year to another resort that's about a 4-hour drive away but much better with some decent steeps and wider runs.

My gear costs have stabilized over the past 4 years.

I have upgraded for 2 pairs of used Raichle boots over the past year, and sold a freeride board to get Mike T's orange Coiler "Charlie Brown".

Once your basic quiver is established, I figure the best use of your money is to snowboard as often as possible.

The majority of my disposable cash now goes to riding costs, luckily BC has a lot of resorts and my work allows me to travel the Province.

I expect it will be riding this year that gets top $. Last year it was the other way around.

Not much planned for gear - fintec heels and mayber BTS.

Riding at my local mountain is free in return for some of my time, but I drive 20 miles each way. At current gas prices, that's about $4 per day x 40 or so days. I may make a couple of trips to other areas too.

Considering my season usually consists of one trip to the US, two trips to switzerland and austria, and then the highway fees to get to the resorts in Japan, and buying new tankers every year and even with my tinkler and tanker purchases for this season, I will still spend more on getting to the mountains and riding than on my gear.

Considering I have ridden in North America for the last 6 seasons but lived in either Australia or the UK, I think that it is safe to say I couldn't possibly spend more on gear than I do on riding without single handedly bringing the world economy back from the brink of recession.