Note to New Members ×

TD3 - few questions

BlueB

Congrats Fin & the crew, new bindings look great!

Just a few tech questions:

1) Would the bindings work with ski boots? My concern is the hard stops on the bails - would the bail go that tiny bit lower that's required for lower DIN lips of a ski boot?

2) Hard stops have also eliminated the option of flipping the blocks around for better fit to smaller boot sizes. Does that mean, with a boot size under 26, the blocks could end up sitting over the one of the 3 plate mounting bolts?

3) Is there any other parts interchangable with TD2s? For instance, could one use the TD3 blocks or new toe bail on the TD2s, or other way round?

Keeping the cant plates uniform with TD2 is really neat.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some others:

4) when will TD3 and Intecfinheel spare parts be coming in the website for sale?

5) how about snow and ice in the hole? makes the totalbinding interface heavier instead of lighter.

and last but not least: products looks great, anxious to hear how they perform. Some one must have tested them!

Glad you guys like what you see! Let me see if I can answer some questions:

Yes, the TD3 will work with DIN standard ski boots. The small height difference does not effect the hard stops.

You can still flip the sole blocks to get a smaller boot fit. However, you cannot move them all the way inward as there are now "channels" cut into the Base Plate to clear the Lugs. So even flipped you can only move them in so far. And, yes, you might end up covering one of the base plate to cant disk screws, just depends on your settings.

We are getting a ton of question on comaptibility of parts of TD2 and TD3. Hold tight and I will come up with a list or chart to address this.

Also hold tight on spare parts for the TD3 and Fin-Tecs. Plan to have up on the site in next few weeks. But parts will be available.

Yes, you will gain some weight in the cavity in the Base Plate now. How much? Put about a palm full amount of power in your palm and weight it. That much ;)

Sorry, remove the bottle opener due to California Law.

TD4 launches next week.

1) If you use the outer holes in the center disk to attach the binding to your board, are the screws still accessible without removing the base plate? It looks like the inner lip of the center hole in the base plate overhangs the center disk screws just a tad.

Congratulations Fin, it really is impressive how you listen to the Bomber mob and keep the improvements coming. Did Bob have his hand in this version of the TD?

My questions regard the heel bails on the standard model and the movement delivered by the thicker e-ring center disk combo:

1) Is the material used in the TD3 bails more resistant to bending than the TD2?

2) How much movement or deflection does the TD3 center disk and e-ring combination allow?

IE-In 2003 Bob explained to me that the TD2 had the following movement:

“the Elastomer Ring (No matter which durometer) under full compression to one side, only deflects .23 degrees from center. (.46 degrees inclusive.)”

Thanks in advance for your time!

Would it be possible to use the TD2 suspension kit (plus appropriately longer screws to account for the height of the full setup) with TD3s for super dooper suspension?

you'd have to you really long screws I'd think. there's a point at which that becomes a bad idea

If there will be TD3 spareparts coming up in the webstore you will need seperate TD3 urethanerings and TD3 centerdisks.

If I am not mistaken, I thought I read that the TD2 cant disks are exactly the same as the TD3's. So interchangable. But the screws might need to be longer.

D.:biggthump

If I am not mistaken, I thought I read that the TD2 cant disks are exactly the same as the TD3's. So interchangable. But the screws might need to be longer.

D.:biggthump

you are right:

- cantdisks same

- change erings (they are higher/thicker)

- change the centerdisks (also higher then of course)

- change the screws (must be longer)

Than you will have a TD3 base.

Have the base plate outer dimensions changed? i.e. was the outer ring of material strengthened at all to compensate for the material removed in the middle?

Also; if the toe/heel blocks were made 4mm lower, it seems like it would be a good idea to put a 4mm shim under the TD3 steel heel Intec receiver (with the appropriate longer bolts) when putting them on a TD2.

does the front bail/back bail on non step in matches that of the TD2?

Yes, they are the same bails we have been using for over 15 years.

Have the base plate outer dimensions changed? i.e. was the outer ring of material strengthened at all to compensate for the material removed in the middle?

Yes, the base plate is slightly larger on the outside. However, the material removal on the inside does not really effect the strength of the Base Plate. Look at the mount pattern of the big M8 screws into the Cant Disk, everything "inside" of that pattern is somewhat isolated. Even the TD2 Base Plate had most of the material removed, we just left a thin amount for engraving.

Also; if the toe/heel blocks were made 4mm lower, it seems like it would be a good idea to put a 4mm shim under the TD3 steel heel Intec receiver (with the appropriate longer bolts) when putting them on a TD2.

You could but the height difference equals about a .5 degree lift/drop so not a lot. We are still deciding if this is enough to warrant a spacer as aretro fit item.

Hi! Can you use the new hardend steel heel recivers from the td3 on the td2? Is it the same distance between the screws?

Yes, same distance (50mm center to center) on the screws for the steel heel receiver.