Note to New Members ×

Mmmmm, I dont think I can ride soft boots any more :-( Rant inside! (tm)

DiveBomber

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, question following from my "head boots with NT liners hurt my shins" thread: how do you suck up hits in hardboots without banging your legs up? I love the lateral power hardboots give me, but the flip-side of that is when riding low angles (say, sub-50), it's tough to absorb impact along the long axis of your board, which sucks for riding chop or hitting kickers. In softies, I'd flex my boot forward and sideways, but in hardboots, the forward flex is truncated significantly, and the sideways flex is eliminated. I use my knees as much as I can, but I'm still having problems. Any solutions?

I freeride in older raichle's with the cuff cants left open,and the xbones (flexy) at 25/35. I will be enhancing this flex with BTS. This gives me almost as much flex as a very stiff soft setup but with bombproof intec convenience & durability. I have no need for laces or straps. I do not try to freeride w/low angles in my 4 buckle blax w/out cuff cant, those are for hard carving & laterally stiff.:argue:

Maybe i just need to get used to the slop again. Hard going back to a subaru when you're used to a Porsche.

Those first few toe side turns I couldn't belive how little response I had on the rear foot. SO yeah maybe im not used to using my ankles any more.

I used to ride Softies a lot better(i think :o ).

The other thing was I had the burton universal cant and set it up at home, felt right... pull the board out of the car and the binding on the cant moves! WTH?? so I had to pull it off and didnt have time to readjust my stance to counter act the lack of cant now.

Im using the Co2's and Malamutes maybe 5 days total on both.

Heelsides were ok But toe sides Just felt like I was riding in barefeet.

Why do I feel like im breaking my ankles on toe sides turns and landing jumps??

Oh I DO have some switch N-type set ups.

something whack about your stance?

if I ride a big wide stance I have ankle and knee issues, 22 inches is my max, happiest at 21

I'm 6 ft so if you're fairly close and you ride 19 or 25 maybe there is a issue?

could just be you're not used to the slop though, it happens.

Guest woodworkmoney

I can ride any soft boot just as hard as a hard boot. My soft boot/board set up is clicker nitro=libtech dough boy 193. A well made rad-air can be ridden with soft boots not problem. Carving is about using the board and your muscles not your boots. Skiing is the magic behind carving. learn to ski first.

AH HA!!

I just tried something, I put my spare Head tounges under the laces of the the malamutes... MUCH better!

I do the same thing on groomers. the stiff set of head tongues fits perfect under the laces. on powder and chowder days though I soften up and ride loose. thats definitely developed over time though, ankle strength etc.

Carving is about using the board and your muscles not your boots.

First to avoid knee jerk reactions I will say that a softboot cannot carve as hard as a hardboot... but you should only really notice the difference at the top end (i.e. carving deeper on steeper slopes at high speeds). Taking that into account, you should easily be able to rip some big carves at medium speed (~35 mph). It could be people are talking about screaming down a slope at GS race speeds... but I seem to doubt that.

Ignoring the other things woodworkmoney said... I agree with his comment that if you NEED stiffer boots to carve (especially stiffening up a pair of Malamutes)... then you need to work on better leg strength and technique because you are depending too much on the stiffness of the boot to do the work for you.

Carving is about using the board and your muscles not your boots. Skiing is the magic behind carving. learn to ski first.

Well put woodworkmoney. I rode hard decks from 1991 to 2005 and didn't really develope what I would call a good carve until I started to watch GS ski racing. I learned more about carving from USSA highschool aged ski racers than I did from other snowboarders (with a few exceptions). I learned how to really drive my knees throughout a turn and correct body position from them. You can learn alot from a quality ski racer.

Embrace the slop!

I have less edge control, the arches of my feet catch on fire, I lose feeling on the tops of my toes, I have a hard time getting off the lift, getting the boots tight enough results in bloody hands, my left foot hurts like the devil on the lift, and it takes longer to strap in, with softboots compared to hardboots.

But I'd still rather ride softboots in soft or cruddy conditions.

You can still rail carves on the less steep terrain at lower speeds if you need to get your carving fix out, but meanwhile you get to enjoy cruising around in trees and bumps and crud without having to really be totally 100% focused. Yeah, I'm sure there are people on this site riding hardboots in powder that can charge it harder, carve the valleys in between the trees and moguls, etc., but sometimes it's nice to just slide around, check out that tree over there, hey, what's on the other side of that rock? while drifting and fishtailing around.

I got the catek freerides and by cranking the heel lift on the back foot and putting a more surfy stance (39/21) I can carve it pretty reasonably when I get dumped back out onto the groomer at the end of a tree run.

Carving is about using the board and your muscles not your boots. Skiing is the magic behind carving. learn to ski first.

I disagree. Carving is about using your whole setup towards your advantage. Sure people can carve on soft setups, but having hardboots makes it easier.

Carving on skis is also about the boots. Stiff ski boots help racers carve the hell out of the mountain, so its not only about muscle and skis/board.

i do believe that by people can learn alot about carving on boards from watching skiers. We both have similar movement from the waist up.

I've learned to skid and carve snowboard directly from my ski knowledge. Then I went back to skis and learned how to really carve them from my snowboard knowledge!?!

As for the setup, you dont see too many skiers on leather lace-up boots. Even the tele guys gave up on those while ago.

I dont see any real reason, except marketing/money, why a real (read plastic shels, no laces, no straps) boot/binding system would be impossible to develop for freeriding and jibbing. Hell, even a system so adjustable that would be really the ONE to rulle them all, carving included, unless you are a pro competing in a particular discipline...

I've learned to skid and carve snowboard directly from my ski knowledge. Then I went back to skis and learned how to really carve them from my snowboard knowledge!?!

As for the setup, you dont see too many skiers on leather lace-up boots. Even the tele guys gave up on those while ago.

I dont see any real reason, except marketing/money, why a real (read plastic shels, no laces, no straps) boot/binding system would be impossible to develop for freeriding and jibbing. Hell, even a system so adjustable that would be really the ONE to rulle them all, carving included, unless you are a pro competing in a particular discipline...

Thank you for clarifying my thoughts exactly :biggthump and

AMEN BRUDDA:ices_ange