Note to New Members ×

Hardboots and Tankers

davekempmeister

Anyone with experience that would like to offer advice, please do. I'm coupling a new Tanker 187 with Catek OS1 (long) and if anyone knows of any helpful hints, trial and error type experiences or the like, please be forthcoming. Any nuances at all? Don't be afraid to state the obvious - for me sometimes the most elusive. Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with experience that would like to offer advice, please do. I'm coupling a new Tanker 187 with Catek OS1 (long) and if anyone knows of any helpful hints, trial and error type experiences or the like, please be forthcoming. Any nuances at all? Don't be afraid to state the obvious - for me sometimes the most elusive. Thanks.
big mario runs that set-up. I'll have him check this post when he return from vacation in a couple weeks. He absolutely loves that set-up!

When I do ride mine (which is not often), I use whatever plate binding is not currently mounted to some other board. More often than not, it's a pair of CATEK OS1. I use a wider than normal stance with some inward cant on both feet to relax my ankles/legs/hips and no lift. Binding angle somewhere around 40 front and 35 rear. Standard 5cm back recommendation from the manufacturer. Boots locked fully upright to enable toe/heel pressure.

Something I've noticed about the Tanker 200cm I have (not sure of year, white topsheet with blue highlight curves): On really hardpacked surfaces it carves very well up to a point and then... WHAM! Down I go.

Not sure if it's just my poor riding or the build up of energy from too much decambering (is that a word?) that let's loose.

Regardless, I hit the ground and then usually pop right back up due to the board's overall length (despite the rather short running length).

on my 192, at least so far. Because of my stance width, I ride it a little forward on the insert pattern for hardpack/carving. Plan on running it the same width, but setback one set of inserts for powder riding. The insert pack is already set back a fair amount in Tankers. Riding it @45f/40r, 19.75 inch stance width.

I tried various things with mine... TD2s, Snowpros, wide stance, normal stance, referrence stance (2" setvback), forward stance. Hell, I even tried mounting it with tail forward to experience reversed taper!

So, I figured it rode the best (for me) at the ref. setback, with my normal stance width and lift/cant options, 45/40 angles. TD2s and Snowpros worked equally well, but I feel that it's safer to run wide/long base binding (snowpro, burton, f2) on wide boards to reduce chance of vertical delam of the core.

It carves like a beast on all but bullet proof ice. Ref. setback should be enough for float in pow.

Boris

Currently running all my Tankers with TD2s, occasionally mount up the Catek FRs and Salomon Malmutes, quickly change back most of the time. Even though I still think firm soft boots are sweet in the pow. Just too many other conviences (like SI) that tip the balance to plates. I think the 192cm is pretty close to ideal for plates (and forward stance angles). Works great until it get over 8-12" deep and then the 200cm RULE!

I would love to build a Tankeresk shape and flex in a 225ish cm with a 19.5cm waist and high radius nose with an approx 14-16 Progressive SCR

When I free up a couple grand I will have that conversation with Mike Tinkler and make the dream a reality. A big pow/ carver.

Guess it wouldn't be very Tanker like then would it? :smashfrea

I think Eric's "Head Hunter" is about as close as I have seen to these specs.

Jim BOL (PO6781) and I playing with Tankers and TD2s. On a "Tweener" day at MHM

post-198-141842240618_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184224062_thumb.jpg

Dave, here are a few pics of my hardboot setup on one of my 07-08 tankers to show the low angle over hang (which isn't much). I went with AT boots for hiking and they are a lot softer flexing than most SB hardboots. I like the setup very much and thanks to great support and help from Fin, Laura, and Michelle, I got wider toe bails that fit the wider AT boot front so the setup rocks. I am running the same angles as my softboot setup (30 front and 15 back), and I am running a 3 degree cant on the front as well as a 6 on the rear. I ordered a suspension kit to try as well and will post a report after I get to ride it with the suspension kit.

cheers

post-420-141842240635_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842240636_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842240637_thumb.jpg

I just ordered a NOS 02/03 Tanker 192. I plan to mount snowpros race plates.

I will eventually get a ptc tune done, but would like to just ride her as delivered this year...

How are the the rad air factory tunes?

Dano, that was when they were still being built at Volkl (SVR , please correct me if I am wrong), so, they come with a good tune. You will enjoy the ride right out of the box. Keep in mind all boards and their materials tend to change slightly over time. I have ridden mine out of the wrapper and been pleased. However, I prefer to hand tune them first and given the quality of the PTC tunes, it would be an advantage.

I know what you mean though, some boards are really VERY poor from the factory. I love this 02/03 192cm and I think you will too.

Bryan

Hey Dan,

She's being packaged as I write. Thanks for the business.

You can ride her straight out of the wrapper, but I recommend slathering on some extra wax first for better results.

Since she hasn't been ridden a PTC tune would be a stellar welcoming gift for her, but you could certainly hold off and make it her Christmas present. :)

Some people just have their boards sent to PTC directly, let me know ASAP if you want me to do that.

Thanks Jon, will definately let you know how it works. If you are going to use your dynafits, I would strongly recommend getting the wider toe bails and the longer shoulder bolts (the ones for springs). The standard bails work, but it is a super tight fit and closing the bail can be tricky.

Bryan,

Haven't given up on soft boots yet, so am still looking at upgrading my softboot mod for the TD2 base plates I made.

Dano,

the older ones were pretty much good to go right out of the plastic, but as RJ stated I would definately give it a good wax before use and as for the new ones, it is really not an option as the need a really good wax before first use and you cannot go wrong with a PTC tune no matter what board you are using.

cheers and hope it is snowing near all of you.

SVR, are you using approach skis? I would be interested to see what you have for a set up. Forgive me if you have already posted the info.

Yep, storage wax or old factory wax is not a good first impression :eplus2::nono:

I always go a couple soft or warmers waxes, scraped , then cold pow hard wax for the day. But then you all know that. Sorry for stating the obvious.

Powder On Dudes!!!

PS, Dano, glad to hear you got one of the last 192cm from RJ. They are sweet!!

I buggered one up last season and I was thrilled to find another NOS.