Note to New Members ×

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Jack M

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These terms are completely ambiguous. So stop using them. Say "heelside" or "toeside" instead. Then everyone will know what you are talking about.

Unless you're talking about freestyle maneuvers that are specifically named "frontside air" or whatever.

Thanks.

DILLIGAF

seriously it's not that big a deal and all us old school guys do it anyway

Guest Mark Jeangerard
It's not "fakie...it's "Switch"

Unless you take your bindings off mount them the opposite way... it's fakie.

(So says an old skater, fresh out of the Wayback machine.)

((Oh... is that Snowmass across the street? Heywhaaa... carvers... ))

Guest Mark Jeangerard

...and if yer gonna use FS/BS, just remember that a FS boardslide in a pipe is the same move as a BS boardslide on a rail. It's important to mix those up. If you don't, you get kicked out of the club.

These terms are completely ambiguous. So stop using them. Say "heelside" or "toeside" instead. Then everyone will know what you are talking about.

Unless you're talking about freestyle maneuvers that are specifically named "frontside air" or whatever.

Thanks.

DILLIGAF

Well, yes, yes you do. You responded. :p

seriously it's not that big a deal and all us old school guys do it anyway

Yes, but people who want to look like they're one of the cool kids use these terms and it's impossible to know wtf they really mean. Does frontside mean toeside because that's the edge you face, or does frontside mean heelside because that's what surfers call it (or don't they?) or because then your front is facing down the mountain (well, for softbooters anyway)?

always seemed so logical and simple to me to call it heel/toe. In fact, I dont think I ever called turns frontside or backside. On a transition it's different. Frontside = facing the lip, backside = away from lip. simple.

but jack...you're just being anal expecting people to be precise and logical!

Thanks.

My surfing friends kind of paused without comment when I said heelside instead of backside a few weeks back. Doesn't sound right for surfing.

I should ask my neighbor if he gets good head at his house (water pressure) and see what kind of response I get. Or I could ask to borrow a pair of (sidecutters) dykes. To be continued... :smashfrea

...and if yer gonna use FS/BS, just remember that a FS boardslide in a pipe is the same move as a BS boardslide on a rail. It's important to mix those up. If you don't, you get kicked out of the club.

No problem, I'd never won't to be be in a club that would have me as a member. :p ( thanks Groucho!)

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Dog gonnit, Jack... your use of the term 'PSA' has got me all out of whack... to me PSA means Pressure Sensative Adhesive. When you said front and back are dead I just thought 'well heck... just go to the hardware store and get another roll of double-sided tape'

unless you think of the hill as a big wave, backside/frontside don't make sense, esp.if you never surfed.

incidently, Riding Giants is on Discovery HD

Riding Giants

I do think of the hill as a big wave, but backside frontside still don't make sense.

When I am surfing upper Olympic Ridge for example, I am regular, when I turn to the right, that I is a toeside bottom turn for me. I have tried to teach surfing to my students and they don't get it either.

always seemed so logical and simple to me to call it heel/toe. In fact, I dont think I ever called turns frontside or backside. On a transition it's different. Frontside = facing the lip, backside = away from lip. simple.

but jack...you're just being anal expecting people to be precise and logical!

...than snowboard terms. Be proud of the sports surfing heritage.

Remember that anal could make your backside suffer.