Note to New Members ×

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Jack M

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wavechaser you jerk ! No one cares about spelling except "anal" people.

Oh, right...I forgot. I was too distracted by scrubbing the dust out of the crevices in my bindings with a brand new toothbrush and polishing the topsheets of my boards with camel ear wax...forgot the rulez.

Must be the edumucation I got me back in the old daze.

Sorry. Every time I type it it just comes out with the A and I stop and look at it and it looks right. I'm normally pretty good about that, but I guess heel is just one of them I always miss.

Not to mention at work we've been doing alot with seals, sealing this control box we're makin. Every time I type that I type seel, then I think, no that's not right...

Sorry. Every time I type it it just comes out with the A and I stop and look at it and it looks right. I'm normally pretty good about that, but I guess heel is just one of them I always miss.

Not to mention at work we've been doing alot with seals, sealing this control box we're makin. Every time I type that I type seel, then I think, no that's not right...

"Heel" is also what they call a small elevated piece of land down south! ;)

LOL!

just ribbin ya, dude. There are obviously bigger issues on the planet, but imo they all relate to imroper spelling.

(and refusal to capitalize the first word in a sentence, or use apostrophes, or...;))

Yeah, I know. I'm just still at work and tired and...

I am also quite anal retentive when it comes to most things, so if I figure out that I'm doing something wrong, I'll usually do it right from then on. As it is, I probably backspaced about a million times just in this single post to correct stuff like a non-capitolized I. It's very annoying.

LOL!

just ribbin ya, dude. There are obviously bigger issues on the planet, but imo they all relate to imroper spelling.

(and refusal to capitalize the first word in a sentence, or use apostrophes, or...;))

I just wonder about the general intelligence level of the populace on a daily basis. I know it's not right, but when I see poor or lazy spelling and grammar I just automatically assign a lower level of intelligence to a person.

My biggest pet peeve is the almost ubiquitous use of the contraction "there's" (there is) when referring to something in the plural - i.e. "there's two ways to skin a cat" or "there's four cars I am looking at", instead of the correct "there are". I hear it all day every day - newscasters, doctors, lawyers, weather people, actors, you name it...these are otherwise intelligent people, but they come off as idiots when they talk like that. If you listen for it, you'll find almost NOBODY ever says it correctly. I also hear other singular/plural f-ups constantly, like "there was four of them" or "there were only one way to do it" or "here's two ways to do it" or "all my friends was on the hill". I feel like I'm living in some sort of Beverly Hillbillies episode. This stuff is NOT very hard to say correctly...amazing.

Yeah, I know. I'm just still at work and tired and...

I am also quite anal retentive when it comes to most things, so if I figure out that I'm doing something wrong, I'll usually do it right from then on. As it is, I probably backspaced about a million times just in this single post to correct stuff like a non-capitolized I. It's very annoying.

"capitalized"...OK I'll stop now. :freak3:

My wife has this idea of where the term "goofy" came from but I am not sold on it. Any opinions on where the term "goofy" foot comes from??

The Disney character Goofy was purportedly the first "person" ever to ride a surfboard with his right foot forward.

Heck - even if you look it up on Google you'll get the WRONG answer some places:

http://yogasurfcamp.com/yogasurfcampvenice2.html (LEFT foot forward). :smashfrea

"capitalized"...OK I'll stop now. :freak3:

Yeah, I didn't think that looked right.

Another one people very often misspell (along with that word, one s or two or is it hyphenated?) is your... They use your instead of you're. That one bugs me.

As for the intelligence by spelling... For the most part I agree with you... But... I hope you're not saying that of me. With the exceptions of a few typos I think that I do fairly well. Also I'd like to point out that I am a college graduate and an engineer. I realize high intelligence and a college degree aren't mutually inclusive, but it should be a close representation.

innstead

heh :lol:

I'll tell you what, man. Very few people give a flying #!$ about this sort of thing anymore. I am of the "yes, it matters" opinion, but most don't care.

I frequent a certain MMA forum, and you should see the horrors that abound over there. Even from "professional" journalists! One of the worst is the use of the word "bias" as an adverb. Should be "biased" but you see "that guy is totally bias" all the time.

I've also seen more than a few dip****s call Pay Per View showings Paper Views!

NO, I am not kidding. Yes, we are getting stupid-er ;)

As for the intelligence by spelling... For the most part I agree with you... But... I hope you're not saying that of me. With the exceptions of a few typos I think that I do fairly well. Also I'd like to point out that I am a college graduate and an engineer. I realize high intelligence and a college degree aren't mutually inclusive, but it should be a close representation.

Everyone has typos now and then - see D-Sub's post above! :freak3:

Not being specific to you - just generalizing on how I see things...

That's why I said "I know it's not right, but when I see poor or lazy spelling and grammar I just automatically assign a lower level of intelligence to a person."

This is after all only an internet forum. Be ready for a quiz tomorrow. ;)

I frequent a certain MMA forum, and you should see the horrors that abound over there. Even from "professional" journalists! One of the worst is the use of the word "bias" as an adverb. Should be "biased" but you see "that guy is totally bias" all the time.

I've also seen more than a few dip****s call Pay Per View showings Paper Views!

NO, I am not kidding. Yes, we are getting stupid-er ;)

Holeee Sheet.

Paper Views?

Many people leave off the "ly" from words now too. As in "he wasn't doing it proper" or "the car was really handling nice"...there's no hope!

My wife has this idea of where the term "goofy" came from but I am not sold on it. Any opinions on where the term "goofy" foot comes from??

Ok, as told to me by a guy who's been surfing much longer than me, here's the origin of the term goofy. Some details lacking.

There's a surf break in California, the name of which is totally slipping my mind at the moment. The wave breaks right consistently, for a regular footer, they would be on their toe-side, facing the wave. (gawd, I hope I'm remembering that correctly....)

Almost all of the surfers at the time surfed regular, facing the wave. That, looked normal, regular.

A few others, riding with their right foot forward like me, would have to surf the wave with their back to it, which the "regular" surfers said, looked GOOFY.

Hence, the name.

When I first started surfing I was a regular foot but I skateboarded Goofy foot

so I decided to start surfing goofy because it felt more natural to me.Later in years I started surfing regular foot which is called switch foot.I was always told that most people that are goofy are left handed but I 'm right handed.

The other term always used for a goofy foot is screw foot.Is that goofy enough for you.

Guest Tim Tuthill

See what I have put up with over the years, surfing and snowbaording with Frank!! LOL Are you ready??? Reg foot,all board sports, shot a rifle left handed, throw left handed and write right handed! Can you say all F-up

When I first started surfing I was a regular foot but I skateboarded Goofy foot

so I decided to start surfing goofy because it felt more natural to me.Later in years I started surfing regular foot which is called switch foot.I was always told that most people that are goofy are left handed but I 'm right handed.

The other term always used for a goofy foot is screw foot.Is that goofy enough for you.

not really I'm a born lefty who always skated/boarded/surfed regular. The only exception for me was when I inline skated for a few years while my ankle recovered from a severe folding...my style was completely goofy.

imagine "mongo" on a snowboard!

I've seen it. It's, well, (insert really politically incorrect slur here)

btw, I'm right handed, goofy, shoot hockey lefty, golf righty, bat righty. I've tried golfing lefty, it does not work. My son throws righty, bats lefty.

I wish I could push mongo as well as regular - that would make long-distance cruising on my longboard a lot easier.

Neil

it makes life much easier when you can both Mongo and Regular...I had to learn to footbrake regular since footbraking Mongo is suicide (at least for me) so that, along with snowboarding, also helped me learn to push regular. I just built a 60" skateboard for supercruising and dancing hopefully it'll help me learn a bit more. Still Mongo is what I push for speed and power