Note to New Members ×

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Jack M

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Pisten Bully
These terms are completely ambiguous.

Let me help you out. Your toes are on your frontside and your heels are on your backside.

No, not ambiguous. Interchangeable is the right word. But, being landlocked in Colorado, I don't know me nuthin' about surfin' and their terminology.

If your mammy told you she was gonna make your backside raw, you would know what side of your body she was was goin' to smack - the side with your heels on it. If your mammy told you she was goin' to make your frontside raw, well, she should probably be arrested for sexual abuse, and give me her phone number as she ain't my mammy. Nothin' wrong with a raw frontside.

Isn't there an entomologist on this site? Look him up as you apparently have a bug up your backside, or your heelside as you prefer.

This from a dude that writes an article with the word Physics in the title and then proceeds to tell me about the ambiguous, indeed, nonexsistent, force labled centrifugal. Pssst.... Jack ... overehere. It is centripetal.

And you wannna bust people on the precision of their terminology? Centrifugal is to centripetal as is frontside to toeside. Get it? Am I typing too fast for you, 'cause I can slow down for you if you need. Let me know.

Let us play Bomberonline madlibs. Shall we?

From your article:

Physics purists will insist that there is no such thing as centrifugal force and that it is only proper to speak of centripetal force acting towards the center of the circle. Though this is true in an absolute frame of reference, it is perfectly acceptable to discuss centrifugal force in a body-centered inertial frame of reference.

My madlibs:

East coast ex-instructor purists will insist that there is no such thing as frontside and that it is only proper to speak of toeside acting towards the center of the circle. Though this is a true, according to East Cost purists, it is perfectly acceptable to discuss frontside in a carving frame of reference.

I can see you whining like a 13 year old self rightuous child if it were June, but the middle of winter? With SES coming up?

What, no snow in Maine? Wife ain't givin' it up and you are cranky?

Gimme a break dude. Ok Jack Maciek.

Dude, I do not know how you have become a known name that newbies look up to for advice. But you are. And you create posts like this? Trying to singlehandedly define techniques? And now you are trying to set the definitions of words that are obvious?

Seriously dude. I have been reading your posts for enough years to know that you are serious and then to aslo know to laugh at your a$$.

You wanna try to define our endeavor with the correct terminology and then you cannot even get Physics right.

And people look up to you and want your advice. You have some snake oil as well, right?

My advice is that if Jack is whining about such things, well, Jack needs to get laid.

Hiya Jack. Gonna ban me? You know who I am, knucklehead.

Props to people who post flames (or any opinion that could be ridiculed) under their real names.

Pisten Bully, you're a puss and do a great disservice to the fine machine whose name you've stolen. I could say the same about others who talk ****, anonimously.

Did you have to make up a new name to disguise yourself? You don't sound like a guy with one post to me.

As for the topic of the thread, it's never been much of a problem that the CASI crew would decide to go one way or the other... Frontside faces outside the turn (or pipe), backside faces in. To credit Jack, I would say heel / toe side is easier to explain to newbs, though.

The surfing comparison is tough as it seems to me that if you did a full turn on a wave, you would be both front and backside in the same arc, as it speaks to your bodys position vs. the wave face. Any turn that goes through both would be a cutback.

Anyway, snowboarding is well-recognized as a sport that poaches terminology from our boardsport brothers. The only names we ever came up with were stupid ones named after food.

Piston Bully centrifugal force is quite real. Centrifugal force is the force that is equal and opposite of centripital force and you can not have one without the other and still have an object moving along a curved path. No centrifugal force no carving. No centripital force, no carving. You may be thinking of the term centrifical force. There is no such thing as centrifical force. Centrifical force is a very, very commonly misused or misspelled attempt at the term centrifugal force.

A headside?

So, I'm fairly sure the photo is Laird Hamilton dropping in, backside, on a really big wave, Mavericks I'd guess. More so, he's a regular foot, going deep on a "left" wave. Us goofy's love lefts, less so, rights...

Why, because a "left" is a toeside wave for us goofy surfers.

Being a skateboarder/surfer first, the terms still make sense to me. But, I do see the reasons for confusion.

So yeah, I find myself saying, toeside or heelside more than not, much less confusing to beginners.

Um, what were we talking about?

So, I'm fairly sure the photo is Laird Hamilton dropping in, backside, on a really big wave, Mavericks I'd guess. More so, he's a regular foot, going deep on a "left" wave. Us goofy's love lefts, less so, rights...

Why, because a "left" is a toeside wave for us goofy surfers.

Being a skateboarder/surfer first, the terms still make sense to me. But, I do see the reasons for confusion.

So yeah, I find myself saying, toeside or heelside more than not, much less confusing to beginners.

Um, what were we talking about?

that's the insane teahupoo (choe poo) wave from Riding Giants-mavs looks brown-tahiti is blue

post-123-141842229116_thumb.jpg

and the fact that he's dragging his "back" hand is the significant part of that whole ride. When you watch him ride that wave in the movie you get a real sense of the immense forces he's combating to even stay ahead of the wave itself and not get suck into the whole thing while making it all look as though it was an every day occurance. Laird is unbelievable, literally the co-father of "tow-in" surfing. It's guys like him that make a sport advance to levels previously unthought of by the masses. Riding Giants is a great flick, Step into Liquid is another great one too. The tree hugging-dirt munching sun child in me believes our surfing bretheren have something in common with us and us with them, it was confirmed when I learned how to surf 3 years ago in Maui. Although I'm officially only a "ankle biter" rider, I still love the feeling of riding a wave. Some of the members here that are obviously experienced surfers must feel some kind of connection too unless I'm speaking out of turn. I recently set up an "all mountain" board for myself and once again experienced the "surfy" style of riding that got me into all this in the first place, so I too see or consider parts of the mountain as a "wave". Sometimes you gotta look backwards in order to figure out how to move forwards......