Note to New Members ×

Quivers:functional vs collections

mtnpig

I have a lot of boards and ride most all of them on a regular basis. I was wondering if I should sell the ones I don't use or keep them as "classics". One board in question is a 2003 Rentiger 178cm. It's everything they say. It rides like a 195 length with no chatter at speed. However at 140lbs I can't get it to flex. Another one I have is a 168cm F2 Silberwhatever w/conshox. If I ever take another Snow Performance class I would consider using this or if I went back east to a smaller mountain (yeah right). O-sin 4807 178cm i would use for heli boarding (when the wife finally leaves me). These boards are in great condition and I don't need the money. I just bought a Burner 188 (finally after trying for three years to find one) and was feeling guilty about racking it with the rest of the harem. Included are a Burner 198, Rossi WC190cm, Coiler RC180, Coiler 172Am, Donek 171FC1+180FC1, O-sin 4807 168cm+178cm. What do you think, sell them or what. Oh yeah, one more board on the radar screen a Virus Vampire175cm (like the one I rode at SES 2006)

Sell them to me!

Just kidding...I really only want the 4807 in 168 cm. :eplus2:

That question probably applies pretty well to a lot of people out there, including me, at least to some extent.

My rule of thumb is that if I go a season without riding something, I should get rid of it. Yet somehow my collection continues to grow...

If you don't need the money and you don't have anyone deserving to give them to (like poor friends who ride alpine or up and coming young riders) there's no reason not to hold on to them is there? Hell, it beats having a closet full of shoes.

It's a tough call. I have a lot of boards too but I'm hesitant to get rid of any of them because I know my needs will change. But then it feels wasteful to have all these boards sitting around. I sold off a Burton FP 168 last season and now I'm looking for one or something similar for my son. I didn't think he'd grow so darned fast.

One thing that assuages my guilt is loaning the boards out to friends.

After several seasons of hording my "Euro-Burner" and my pre-Madd favorite security blanket F2 Silberpfiel, they're both freshly listed in the classifieds for sale. Trust me I never thought either of these boards would leave my quiver except after being pryed from my dead, cold hands, but as they say all things change and so has my position on these 2 boards. The F2 was my first real purchase as a board I'd lusted after and finally bought. The Burner was more the Trophy board, something I'd hunted for over the course of several years and than finally acquired albeit through a rather circuitous route (I bought it on Euro-bay from Germany). After riding them both and loving them individually for various reasons, I decided to give them up due mostly to the fact I think my tastes have changed. I've never been the best rider and can't justify the boards I have most of the time, but I'm trying to commit this season to improving my riding skills and I think to do that I have to narrow my focus and in my opinion, narrow my equipment choices. Some may argue that point, but I feel for me, it's the right decision. Hopefully someone else will pick these two beauties up and get as much enjoyment out of them as I have, so in some small way I'll be passing on the stoke to someone else, wether it's allowing someone to get that "one board" they've been hunting for or help out a new carver by offering up an excellent all-around board they can learn on and grow with for many seasons to come. In the end it's all good, I've had my fun, now let someone else take a turn.

post-857-14184222535_thumb.jpg

I hummed and hawwed for over a year whether or not I would sell my coiler PR 188. I loved riding it so much but I could only use it on less than a handfull of runs at my mountain. I prepped it to be sold then decided to ride it one more time, it took a year before I decided to sell it again. I used the funds to buy something I could use on my mountain's terrain. I guess if it isn't a rare board or something that is really dear to you, do what I did, sell your old stuff and buy new quiver killers.

I used to keep boards for years. I had a collection of my first boards that would have made any collector drool...but over a few years I sold them to pay rent, buy food, etc...

Now I rend to see boards as commodoties. If you buy a good used board, use it for a season, ad sell it you can usually get most of what you paid for it out...

The only old boards I have left are a couple of my old race boards...I don't think they're worth much to anyone but me...I do wish I had my first backhill and my first Look Lamar back - sentimental reasons...

So far, I rode all my boards (7) this year. So I assume that I can grow my quiver. I always keep all my board ( but one for really bad days ) in racing tune-up conditions.

What I don't ride, I try to sell for a fair price. I won't through it for free. But, in some case, I was surprised by the price I got for stuff sitting in my closet ( $50+ for a Burton 7 degree cant wedge ! ) That help to justify myself for an other additions and/or tune-up tools.

The others problems is that I need to share the Snowboard / Ski room with 5 others skiers and their skis ( at least 12 pairs ). I made a rack for 8 boards last year, that leaves me with a spot for a new SL race board.

Seb

I held true on "oldsnowboards" statements. I have my Burton Asym-6. The justification method is also very valid to me (thanks Peter, it works on my wife). That's why I ride so many types in a day. I would rather have a set of tools, where each tool has a specific purpose to do a job well. Compared to lets say a sledge hammer which sort of works on a lot of things. The RT178 has got to go! However I did just finish prepping it and will probably ride it one last time this weekend at Mammoth.

How many boards is enough?

I would say its different for everyone!

Some people turn to comfort food/ I'm a Gear head/ lots of stuff/many sports !!

One of my friends asked me/ why do you need all those boards? isn't one enough?

I referred him to his several sets of golf clubs!!

Another Lady Friend asked me the same question/ we were sitting in her kitchen!

So I went to her cabinets opened all the drawers asking why so many utensils You can never use all of these ?????????

Enough said !

I ride all my boards... :eplus2: ...I have recently added two boards to my quiver but still find that the right conditions and the right board will make your day so much better. Not that you can't have a do it all board, I just like the idea of the perfect tool for the job.

I plan to add a couple of "exotic" boards to my quiver over the next couple of seasons which will be daily riders too. :eplus2:

The problem with that is you almost never have the perfect board unless conditions stay consistent for a few days. Even then, conditions change from morning to afternoon.

At Park City, I brought out the All Mountain board when I should've had the GS. Then the next day, I brought out the GS when I should've had the AM. Then in the afternoon, I wished I had a soft freeride board.

Meanwhile, my buddy in his softie rig is laughing at me. This has me re-thinking the whole "quiver" thing. I already offered my AM for sale locally.

I have three boards... The first was my softy budwieser board that I got 8 years of rough use out of. That one is now retired... We're gonna make a bench out of it. My second is almost an exact replacement of the first. It's 4 cm longer and in much better shape. That is now my soft booting board. My third is my new Rossi XVas. That's my alpine board. I don't need any more than that. Though I'd like a board with a tighter sidecut. I could see having a gs board and a sl board, but why have more than that? Sell them for cheap to somebody who needs a board. Then the sport will grow.

But if you start to feel like King Solomon (300 wives, 700 concubines!) might just be time to thin things out. I too am rethinking how many I need, I only have 6 riders right now, and some are just not right for me. Personal restraint keeps me from purchasing a 200 Tanker 'till I sell a swallowtail, or 2. And so on down the line....

every season, try to get rid of one board and replace it with another-quiver upgrade.If you miss a year , next season get 2 and drop 2.It does take years to build a quiver and always look to step it up. Madds, a Virus, maybe a Tinkler, Tomahawk.My new 2 this year were a Madd 170 and a Coiler 176. Need to replace the T. Sims 169 for a pow board and the Avalanche 166 twintip beater is on the way out. I want an F2 Respect 176 and an Axis.

Probably the closest equivalent is fishing rods. When I was 12 years old, I had one fishing rod and I used it 100 days a year - at least. I caught everything from perch to salmon with it. I now have 15 fishing rods. Everything from a 2 foot model for ice fishing to a 14 foot egg rod. I fish 3-4 days a season.

Anyone looking for either a 7 foot and 6.6 one piece casting rod? Brand new. Gotta thin the quiver.

I also golf but have so far, exercised enough willpower to keep it to two sets. Not sure how long I can hold out.

I see lots of good boards, but no real classics in your list. Some would be classics only to us carvers, like the Burners.

The real classic boards start at 1989 and older. Or some early 90s pro models, if the pro made a big splash somehow. Like CK or maybe Brushie.

I had a Burton Performer Elite, but I sold it in 1987 to buy a Sims 1710 Blade. Then I sold that to buy a Gnu Race Room in 1989. I think all 3 of those would be regarded as "classic". I still have the Race Room, but it's pretty beat up and the old Elfgen plates don't fit my Raichles. I've also got an older Prior 4WD, but it's busted.

For active boards, I've got an Asym Air as a rock board, my AM 172 as my main board, and Tanker 2K just because. So I'd say it's more functional than collector.

Well don't ask me!! for sure I would say collections in your case:1luvu: I love keeping things...I have only 4 boards because I can"t ride very often...I kept one for more than 10 years and bought the 3 others over the last 2 years; anyway 3 are being used, one kept as a souvenir! Hopefully for me I had no chance to be often on slopes, just imagine...i'm keeping my primary school note books at my parents' and i didn't even liked school as much as snowboarding :o

Very, very simple: one for groomed, one for not groomed.

I kept my second board (Burton Air on loan to a friend), which replaced the first (stolen on the first day). I sold my first alpine, sometime wished I would've kept ip, but I don't think it would have been worth it.

During the winter season our spare bathroom becomes the defacto ski and snowboard tuning room.

Last week my wife said to me half in jest,"Do you think that our little family of three really needs 8 snowboards and five pairs of skis in this apartment?".

I replied, "You said that like it was a BAD thing....".

Sell them to me!

Just kidding...I really only want the 4807 in 168 cm. :eplus2:

That question probably applies pretty well to a lot of people out there, including me, at least to some extent.

My rule of thumb is that if I go a season without riding something, I should get rid of it. Yet somehow my collection continues to grow...

If you don't need the money and you don't have anyone deserving to give them to (like poor friends who ride alpine or up and coming young riders) there's no reason not to hold on to them is there? Hell, it beats having a closet full of shoes.

see me when you get to Big mtn I have a 4807 in 168 that I think is to short for me after riding it once. I might be talked out of it. I would love to have it in the 178 its a blast in the bumps.