Note to New Members ×

Heard on the Slopes

jnshapiro

Riding up at Meadows a few weeks ago with my buddy, his Volant SL 162 attracted a lot of attention in the lift line.

After explaining to one rider that it was a "race board", he got the response, "wow, you must go fast."

My buddy: "No, not really, I'm just out there trying to make some nice deep carved turns."

Other rider (set up duck footed with heavy overhang) nods and says "Yeah, me too dude."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a link to this on TGR, and it's too funny not to share:

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/82587/identifying-a-ski-board

"We were at Mt Shasta in northern CA a few weekends ago and saw an unusual type of board. It appeared to be about 7-10" wide and about 4' - 4 1/2' long. Reddish in color with a traditional round shaped tip and a squared off tail with a triangle (pizza slice) missing (a twin tail?) from the tail. The rider was situated in a stance similar to a slalom water ski as opposed to the splayed stance of a typical snowboarder. My 15 yr old son was impressed and wants to try to find one. Any ideas what this board my have been or where to find something similar to purchase?"

-----------------------------

:lol: :smashfrea :lol: :smashfrea

OK Shasta crew, who's got the 140 cm swallowtail??

Sounds like maybe a Oxygen race board? Rather than a Powder board?

7-10" is allot of leeway?

I posted a responce. Haven't been to that site in a while evidently ;)

Sounds like maybe a Oxygen race board? Rather than a Powder board?

7-10" is allot of leeway?

I posted a responce. Haven't been to that site in a while evidently ;)

An O2 race board is definitely a possibility -- I also thought it could be a Sims Burner, but they do describe the cut-out as "pizza slice shaped", which suggested swallowtail to me.

An O2 race board is definitely a possibility -- I also thought it could be a Sims Burner, but they do describe the cut-out as "pizza slice shaped", which suggested swallowtail to me.

Yes, kind of a mixed message. I gave them a couple of leads to follow up if they choose to. Jeez, signed up for that site in 2005? time flys.

I've been riding the Burner everytime I go and I've ran into alot of people who ask questions about it. The cut between the tails does have a /\ to it although its about 10 inches long. Easy to see how someone who's never seen anything like it before would be a bit puzzled as to how to describe it. Than again, I could be wrong......:eplus2: one of my favorite pictures by the way....:biggthump

post-857-141842279039_thumb.jpg

Got one of these this w-end at Jay. Couple of skiers and riders together staring and gawking as I'm clamping into my virus. "What the hell is that" says one rider. I reply.."that?...that's snow....it's what happens to water when it get's cold...this?..this is a snowboard...I use this to enjoy the snow". 3/4 the way down, they catch up...more dumbfounded looks..still not believing it was a snowboard.

And then I got fired up when I pulled off to the side of this run to grab out the video camera to shoot my buddy as he's going downhill(we're taking turns) and I'm out of the way, in view of uphill traffic and sitting to get the cam out of my pack. Woman rider comes down, stops and about 15ft away is yelling, telling me to get out of the way so her friends can pop ollies off this tiny little bump where I happen to be. She's bitchin', I've got music on and can hear her bitchin'. I'm not even in the way or obstructing any trailspace b/c I'm trying to be considerate of others but this group decides to jump in my direction. I was fine w/ the first 2 and when the 3rd came skitching by my helmet, I turned and looked at her and she's shaking her head telling me I'm taking up the hill as she's dead center of the run, under a lip to oncoming traffic. She continues griping and skids away. As I come down, this group is up ahead again and cuts right in front of me in a transition to toeside so I pitch uphill to avoid a mess. After that, I tucked it down to avoid them and the griper up ahead looks over her shoulder seeing me coming and veers again into my direction seeing my path of where I was going. No attempt to change course, blatant. I certainly didn't try to come close to her but she earned that topsheet scar. People like that make me want to wear full body armor to protect myself when I'm looking out for them.Disappointing to say the least

Today it was used as a Name, rather than a description. Used in the original sentence. How long have you been riding that "Forward Facing Snowboard"?

At least this person identified it as a snowboard :smashfrea

To compound the mulititude of questions and comments, I am routinely riding a Tinkler "TNT" (spit both tip and tail) and with the plate on top, folks often miss-id it as a "Split" board for backcountry climbing/riding. Add full carbon Snow-Stix front and back. well you get the idea. LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!:eek:

A few weeks ago, there was a "Wounded warriors" day at my mountain. I had my hard boots on and was dropping some nice long slow turns and then standing them back up and back down again.

A few of the ex-military who were there saw me slide in for a big toeside semicircle at the bottom to reboard the lift, and they called me a "Deck Buzzard? and laughed.

A few of my coworkers picked up on this, and now because I go in low and "sweep the flat-top" in a fly-by of the lift poles and end on the ground fully laid out.

I'm afraid the nick name will stick.

I guess I'm honored by being called such :)

Got one of these this w-end at Jay. Couple of skiers and riders together staring and gawking as I'm clamping into my virus. "What the hell is that" says one rider. I reply.."that?...that's snow....it's what happens to water when it get's cold...this?..this is a snowboard...I use this to enjoy the snow". 3/4 the way down, they catch up...more dumbfounded looks..still not believing it was a snowboard.

And then I got fired up when I pulled off to the side of this run to grab out the video camera to shoot my buddy as he's going downhill(we're taking turns) and I'm out of the way, in view of uphill traffic and sitting to get the cam out of my pack. Woman rider comes down, stops and about 15ft away is yelling, telling me to get out of the way so her friends can pop ollies off this tiny little bump where I happen to be. She's bitchin', I've got music on and can hear her bitchin'. I'm not even in the way or obstructing any trailspace b/c I'm trying to be considerate of others but this group decides to jump in my direction. I was fine w/ the first 2 and when the 3rd came skitching by my helmet, I turned and looked at her and she's shaking her head telling me I'm taking up the hill as she's dead center of the run, under a lip to oncoming traffic. She continues griping and skids away. As I come down, this group is up ahead again and cuts right in front of me in a transition to toeside so I pitch uphill to avoid a mess. After that, I tucked it down to avoid them and the griper up ahead looks over her shoulder seeing me coming and veers again into my direction seeing my path of where I was going. No attempt to change course, blatant. I certainly didn't try to come close to her but she earned that topsheet scar. People like that make me want to wear full body armor to protect myself when I'm looking out for them.Disappointing to say the least

Was she hot?

I've been riding the Burner everytime I go and I've ran into alot of people who ask questions about it. The cut between the tails does have a /\ to it although its about 10 inches long. Easy to see how someone who's never seen anything like it before would be a bit puzzled as to how to describe it. Than again, I could be wrong......:eplus2: one of my favorite pictures by the way....:biggthump

That explains it!!

I like that photo too.

It is the one I have stuck in my head.

It was a great visit!! You guys rock!!

While riding my Volkl Monocarver, (skwal), yesterday, Twice people who were about to load with me refused thinking I had lost one of my skis and thus would crash on the top/get off. Both times they saw me at the top clipping in and then realized that it was one ski. Another time I had a lifty refuse to let me on with one ski. "you need to have both skis on to ride this lift". Even after showing him the front binding and how it worked he made me wait for his supervisor to ok me to ride the lift.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Two from today, I was riding the singles line most of the day.

Me: Excuse me, would you mind if I joined you?

Angry woman #1: Yes.

Me: (thinking she thought I asked if I could join her) Ok, thanks.

Angry woman #1: No, you can't join me.

Me: Huh?

Angry woman #1: I've had bad experiences with snowboarders.

Me: Well, let me know if you ever want to have a good experience. Have a nice day. (I wanted to tell her to go f@#$ her hat, but thought better of it at the last second)

Standing in line for a two person chair with two acquaintances that are ski patrollers.

Me to friends: blah, blah, blah... Oh, that guy's a single up there, I'm going to go join him

Angry woman #2: No! You just can't cut the line like that, I've been watching people do this all day! It's not fair!

Me to her: Perhaps you don't understand how this works.

Me to ski patrol friends: Would you mind explaining it to her? See ya later!

Angry woman #2: Why the hell would you ask your stupid friends?!? :angryfire (turns around) Ohhh, I'm so sorry... :eek:

Today it was used as a Name, rather than a description. Used in the original sentence. How long have you been riding that "Forward Facing Snowboard"?

At least this person identified it as a snowboard :smashfrea

To compound the mulititude of questions and comments, I am routinely riding a Tinkler "TNT" (spit both tip and tail) and with the plate on top, folks often miss-id it as a "Split" board for backcountry climbing/riding. Add full carbon Snow-Stix front and back. well you get the idea. LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!:eek:

Well...If I saw you I'd have all kinds of questions and I know what it is :lol:

Tinks and I roll up to the chair lift. Skier jumps on the chair with us at the last second. We could tell he was on a mission to visit with us. He had been skiing behind us watching and just had to chat with us. We settle in for the ride up and the first words out of his mouth are " Are those "GROOMER SNOWBOARDS"??. I looked at Mike and we sort of thought for a micro second and said "Yes" , "Yes, they are". Neither Mike or I had ever had anyone ask using those terms. However, he was correct, none the less.

Dale (the skier) had not skied in 25 years!!!! He had just returned to skiing that day!! Pretty cool. He totally got it and we had a nice conversation on the 5 min chair lift ride. He watched us another run.

While riding my Volkl Monocarver, (skwal), yesterday, Twice people who were about to load with me refused thinking I had lost one of my skis and thus would crash on the top/get off. Both times they saw me at the top clipping in and then realized that it was one ski. Another time I had a lifty refuse to let me on with one ski. "you need to have both skis on to ride this lift". Even after showing him the front binding and how it worked he made me wait for his supervisor to ok me to ride the lift.

Don

Feed the addiction...

Now that is just crazy!!:smashfrea

How was your European Vacation??:biggthump

Welcome home!!

Me: Excuse me, would you mind if I joined you?

Angry woman #1: Yes.

Me: (thinking she thought I asked if I could join her) Ok, thanks.

Angry woman #1: No, you can't join me.

Me: Huh?

Angry woman #1: I've had bad experiences with snowboarders.

Me: Well, let me know if you ever want to have a good experience. Have a nice day. (I wanted to tell her to go f@#$ her hat, but thought better of it at the last second)

Actually I totally get this reaction. You are way more likely to get taken out on the ramp by an inexperienced snowboarder than a skier. If I have to ride with the kids, I usually just hang back on the chair as long as I can so I have some play to skirt the carnage.

Don

Feed the addiction...

This was in COLORADO?

wow...people...just...wow.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an amazing amount of alpine love from a couple of kids on the chair last weekend. (A teenage boy on skis and a girl on a snowboard.) I was talking to my wife and not really paying attention at first, but then I realized they were talking to each other about my board. (Not even a nice board, just an old school chatterbox: Oxygen F-67 freecarver.)

Boy: "That's an alpine snowboard. They edge so hard...it's freakin' awesome."

Girl: ORLY? Cool.

Boy: "Those things can <b>mar the mountain</b> like nothing else..." (It was very clear from the tone of his voice that he meant this as high praise.

Sweet!

I got an amazing amount of alpine love from a couple of kids on the chair last weekend. (A teenage boy on skis and a girl on a snowboard.) I was talking to my wife and not really paying attention at first, but then I realized they were talking to each other about my board. (Not even a nice board, just an old school chatterbox: Oxygen F-67 freecarver.)

Boy: "That's an alpine snowboard. They edge so hard...it's freakin' awesome."

Girl: ORLY? Cool.

Boy: "Those things can <b>mar the mountain</b> like nothing else..." (It was very clear from the tone of his voice that he meant this as high praise.

Sweet!

Very cool Dan, I have not heard "Mar the Mountain" before.