Note to New Members ×

**** these rocketships...

Rob Stevens

I need an alpine board and the ones I have are too nutty for me.

I have a Coiler 18something from 02 and a relic of an Oxygen Proton 18something from before the turn of the century.

Both these things are built for a kind of alpine I'm not really interested in. I want to do more EC-type riding at moderate speeds.

I looked at the Swoard and it's pricey, but if it's the best one, price won't be a consideration. I'm just interested to hear from anyone who is around my weight (220) and ability (unrealwink.gif) as to what sort of "freecarve" ride is the "best".

A clue about modern boots wouldn't hurt either and low bindings... I don't want any rise or cant.

Someone might say that I could read this information on another part of the site, but that would take the fun out of it for me.

Also, it is snowing here and my leafy trees are looking pretty sad.

Also, ride the bike park at SilverStar in BC. It is better than Whistler.

Also, go noboarding this season.

you're pushing the limits of anything that the builders that don't do custom rides, maybe get a coiler with a wide waist

If I remember correctly Bruce has made a few swoard like boards

boots, I gotta say that Raichle with the bomber springs are the best thing going, just get the soft springs.

for flatt(er) bindings have a look at F2 race titanium (intec or standard...not sure what you prefer) and phiokka.

bombers have lift built in no matter what, even with flat plates.

check the swoard specs, and then look at donek and coiler...

bruce definitely makes "swoard like" boards.

Rob, have you tried any of the modern all-mountain boards with 21.5 or 23 cm waists? They usually have a tighter sidecut than the EC guys like but I expect you could get Bruce or Chris to make you one up with a longer radius.

As far as low bindings go, I like the Proflex/F2 step-ins. They let you put in cant with little wedges but it doesn't raise them up very much and you can leave it out entirely. I have the Titanflex which has a cm of lift or so to allow for the damping stuff but the regular ones don't have much, you can see them here. If you'd rather not have the step-in, they make a toeclip version too.

I'm still hoping to get in a day with you this year, maybe you can give my AM172 a whirl.

I need an alpine board and the ones I have are too nutty for me.

I have a Coiler 18something from 02 and a relic of an Oxygen Proton 18something from before the turn of the century.

Both these things are built for a kind of alpine I'm not really interested in. I want to do more EC-type riding at moderate speeds.

I looked at the Swoard and it's pricey, but if it's the best one, price won't be a consideration. I'm just interested to hear from anyone who is around my weight (220) and ability (unrealwink.gif) as to what sort of "freecarve" ride is the "best".

A clue about modern boots wouldn't hurt either and low bindings... I don't want any rise or cant.

Someone might say that I could read this information on another part of the site, but that would take the fun out of it for me.

Also, it is snowing here and my leafy trees are looking pretty sad.

Also, ride the bike park at SilverStar in BC. It is better than Whistler.

Also, go noboarding this season.

Many good one to try but before you buy I'd suggest you try Prior's 179 4WD. It is a 21.5 waist and loves any kind of snow. Oh Oh Can open -- worms everywhere!! :AR15firin

We're launching our blade series this year. It's an EC board in 2 sizes and 3 flexes each. Nothing on the site about it yet, but I'm happy to answer any questions if you like.
Cool, can you let us know what the specs are for the two different sizes? Length, width, sidecut, running length - that sort of thing. Are you doing anything different in construction or flex pattern compared to your other boards?

I looked at the Swoard and it's pricey, but if it's the best one, price won't be a consideration.

Cheap alternatives to sword:

Oxygen Proton, Burton Ultraprime, Burton Speed. Even my Generics IQ...

But I'm not too sure for your weight...

I rode someones Coiler AM172 for few runs and I had feeling that it would probably EC too.

Most low speed friendly board I tried is my ancient Hooger Booger Grinder. I guess it's the combination of soft flex and medium side cut (11+ m). It will EC evan on steeper green runs. It becomes very squirly at higher speeds.

Besides the ones listed above, look into Snowpro Race, too. A bit on soft side (but better than Burton) and inexpensive even when bought new.

Boris

If you can find a Burton Speed 168 it's called the poor man's Swoard, very similar in shape. I'd be tempted to wait on the Donek, though, the Axxess kinda felt to me like a good candidate,too, in the 167 or the next one up in length. Snowpro race series have 6 mm bails, and are pretty durable, and allow some flex, but won't work on the Burton 3 hole pattern w/o making your own center disc to match, and doing a little grinding on the base plates to make it work. I've also got some cut down mondo 27 Raichle 123's that will allow some ankle flex, that will be for sale soon (my old backcountry boots)

Rob:

Forget any of the production boards discussed above. They just won't work for someone of your (ahem) stature. You really need to go custom.

I am sure Sean could build you a very appropriate board. Chris Prior is also eminently competent. However, Bruce at Coiler is the only one in North America that has had a few years of making and riding the EC type boards. Given that he is a fellow Canadian (and a hell of guy too), why would you go elsewhere?

You're sure you want an EC board? There are many alternatives that will carve very sweetly at sub-sonic speeds. The EC boards are not exactly what one would call all-round or all-mountain boards. Many of us get what you seem to be seeking with 12 - 13 m sidecut radius boards. They're very turnable at less suicidal speeds. The key is to get one built custom that is suitable for your weight, height, generaly abiliity level, and ambitions.

Hey Rob, I will chime in here too. Coiler AM is the way to go. you can get it with the 23 cm waist and it carves really nice while going slow. You might want to get the 178 for your weight. I am 240 and have the 172 but like a shorter board for tree riding. I have no problem laying my own style of EC with the AM and also when the conditions get tough, you can still use it for the rest of the day instead of switching to a softie setup.

Order it now, you might get one by March HAHAHAHAH

If you want to carve at moderate speeds, just get something with a smaller sidecut radius. In addition to the EC-style decks and the AM-style decks there is always the Donek FC 171/175 / Coiler RC 175/180 / Prior WCR 175 class... alpine decks with sidecuts in the 11 - 12m range. Sean/Bruce/Prior could build one for your weight, and the 11-12 sidecut range is very nice for carving at sub-light speeds while still offering decent stability.

Bryan - I think the Tinkler with its 15m sidecut would still be a rocket, even with the wide waist ;-)

Yes, Thanks Mike, I guess I some how missed the point. Rob is looking for a shorter, wider boards with more side cut to slow down. Makes sense now.

Although some of the best ECing I have seen was on a 203 , fairly wide board. However , I can't recall the side cut.

The "Quest" continues.

Yeah, but was that Bordy, who, from what I saw at SES, could do pretty much anything on any deck?

You've got me pegged, there.

I could make it happen on the bigger gear, but I don't want to fight it, or have it be a violent experience.

The ride I'm looking for will like middle of the road speed, turn size and pitch.

It won't have to do all mountain riding either. The only time this will come out is when the groomers are on and it hasn't snowed in a few days.

Powder day... Summit 800 and the Noboard (no rope, of course)

Freeride... 174 Fastback or 162 Radon.

Freecarve... ?

... though I'm alot closer to making a call than I was before.

You guys are an incredible resouce. Thanks very much, all.

Bryan,

From the Mt Rose video? If it was the Donek 203 Ong GS, the side cut is 17 with a 22.5 waist, according to the Donek website.

Buell

James let me borrow that 203 Donek one morning, that beast rides faster than I ever want to go again in my life! :)

While the length and sidecut are certainly contributing factors, I think what made the Donek such a fast ride for me is that the flex of that board is really stiff; you have to be way on top of it and initiate the turns exactly right to get that board to bend & turn. EC carvemaster James Ong obviously rides it with ease and is able to control the speed, I have a lot of respect for someone who makes riding that monster look easy, in contrast I found it to be demanding and I learned that I'm better suited to a softer-flex more forgiving board.

Compared to James's Donek, my 175 Swoard feels like moving in slow motion, which works out great for me as I like taking it easy. James also let me ride his 186cm, 15M SCR Coiler, my perception is that since it's not a stiff board it can be cranked into similar sized turns, with similar speed, as the 13.3M SCR Swoard, or you can ease into the turn and allow the arcs to widen. I was so stoked with the performance of James's Coiler that I asked Bruce make me a similar one which arrived in April, I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

Bottom-line, I think for speed control that board-flex is as important a variable as anything else, IMHO only. Rob

Bryan,

From the Mt Rose video? If it was the Donek 203 Ong GS, the side cut is 17 with a 22.5 waist, according to the Donek website.

Snow at Timberline! :):):):)

Buell

You are sharp! Yes, that was my reference. I am thinking that I would love to see some of the expert EC riders put the Tinkler "Wide" through it's paces. Might be a bit stiff, however , under the right rider it would rule.

For those that have enjoyed the short video of some riding EC style at Mt Rose this past year, allow me to introduce the other amazing rider, Rob. Both these guys SHRED!!. Rob, is the first rider you see cranking turns in the video, then James (Imagine, riding around , then bumping into Rob, and then the next thing I see is THIS!!) I had not seen James since SES, and only saw a few glimpses of him riding once we hit the hill. So, basically you are seeing what I saw. Riding with James and Rob definitely "Picked up the Pace" on this day!! Here is the video , here is a gallery of the day at Mt Rose. Thanks again Rob and James for showing me around! I had a blast!

Bryan

Oh yeah, back the subject of the thread. Stevens , you will appreciate this.

I was riding this 1711 BLADE. Perhaps it would fit your requirements :biggthump I could only get my stance about 18" max. Going from a Tinkler 185cm , TD2s,A600s to a 89 Sims 1711cm , original high backs , talk about contrasts. Might has well got out the "No Board". Hows that for full circle?? :)