Note to New Members ×

Young Carvers

Arclite

I started snowboarding when I was 10 years old. Got my first pair of Koflach mountaineering boots and plate bindings 2 years later. Of my 25 years snowboarding, 16 have been only in hardboots, 6 have been mixed between the two and 3 have been in softies only.

Other than at Stratton I've not seen anyone under their mid 20s on alpine gear in some time. It's sad really. I know they are out there, I no longer race, but haven't seen them.

Steve here, I started when I was 16, Nick and Andrew (dont really post here anymore) started earlier (Nick wayy earlier i think). 19 now, and got my friend Garecht into it (at 17) last year. He's ParagonUE on here.

I wish I could've learned to turn like that when I was short:lol:

I 1st tried snowboarding at age 24 on a burton with fins and rubber straps, used Merrel Super Comps on that board in '87,(toedrag's a drag) after realizing sorels w/skiboot liners sucked, so been mostly on hard boots for 22 years.

Hope to expose my son to a "real carver" who lays out screaming, horizontal turns this spring or early next winter. If he sees/talks with a speed king, I think he might be turned on enough to get off his Chopper.

I am the proud father of Julian/arclite who started this thread, he started snowboarding 3 years ago around the same time I started hardbooting, he never showed any interest in hardbooting even if I occasionally asked him if he would like to try, in fact one day I told him I got him a new snowboard and his reply was “it’s not an alpine board is it” but on January 4<SUP>th</SUP> this year something happened, he was with me at our own carving session at our local mountain 2 hours from Los Angeles, I think we had a total of 17 carvers on the mountain (probably a record for Snow Summit) I don’t know if it was from watching a bunch of carvers having a good time or maybe because there was another teenager carving (kingcrimson 15) or maybe because Erwin was doing fully laid out EC turns, but about 3 hours into it he asked me “hey dad, can you turn my bindings at a higher angle I want to try to carve” my eyes lit up and trying to stay calm without showing my emotions I just said “of course” the next Sunday he was on his f2 roadster 158 still on soft boots (only because we didn’t have hardboots yet) but with high angles and the Sunday after he was on hardboots and he’s loving it

His excitement about carving is a blessing for me, the first thing he does after we come home from the mountain is posting a new thread to see who is going next Sunday, that’s him in the photo after 4 days in hardboots

Many thanks to all the local carvers for the inspiration and encouragement

I love you son<O:p</O:p

post-6353-141842276844_thumb.jpg

yeah, good job there Andrea, he's definitely picking it up fast, a lot faster than i did. i wish i was railing like that on my 4th day of hardbooting.

anyway. i started hardbooting when i was 23. I'm 25 right now, so i still fall into your "young" crowd Julian. hehe. It's only going to last for about 2 more months though, then i turn 26.

I'm 17, started carving when I was 15. I remember when I rented my first carving board from bomber, Fin and Michelle were excited to have a younger person interested in carving. :cool:

The sad thing is that a bunch of you guys that are older than my dad could probably own me on the hill... but I guess I have plenty of time to improve!

My 9 year old son started laying out some pretty decent carves on his softboots. I'm not sure if he has ever seen me ride plates, but I got him fired up one day when I was dragging my hands on in my softboots. Maybe we'll see him on hardboots some day, but I think he might be headed towards a life of crime as a "park punk". It's just the "cool" thing to do you know. lol

Props to the "kids" out there trenching. Keep it up!

I'm 20 and just actually had my first day on hardboots today! I've been snowboarding for ten years and one of my friends at school got into it, so I've been eying it out for the past several years and finally had enough money to get a nice used setup. Sooo much fun so far!

see for me, this is really interesting. LOL

I know Erwin started carving when he was 18-22

Damn good memory! Started snowboarding at 19 on a Burton Elite 150. I doubt the pros could carve an Elite 150 on hardpack. So I wasn't actually carving until my next board (Sims Blade?) with softboots at around 21y/o.

20+ years later, I can still pass for one of the young guns...as long as my helmet covers up the gray :D

Here's another one at 13. Jules started at 10. On his first day out on a board he took a 3 hour lesson, starting from scratch and ending with carved turns. From then on he vowed to just carve it up and never be seen skidding. Unfortunately he'll be away from the slopes/rinks/tracks/playing grounds for the rest of the year and until he outgrows Osgood-Schlatter's disease. Nothing serious; just a question of time.

post-7406-1418422769_thumb.jpg

rides softies. He doesn't just ride softies. He rides 'em DUCK.

I HATE DUCK!

Looks like what Bruce Brown calls, "... the survival stinkbug stance...", in The Endless Summer.

Hope to expose my son to a "real carver" who lays out screaming, horizontal turns this spring or early next winter. If he sees/talks with a speed king, I think he might be turned on enough to get off his Chopper.

Congrats on choosing this supreme, off-beat sport!

BB

Dont hate on duck. I had the unfortunate circumstance of riding whistler/blackcomb for the last 3 days in softies and duck. Its honestly not that bad.

But...

I started hardbooting when i was 14 or 15. Im almost 19 now so yeah..

... until he outgrows Osgood-Schlatter's disease. Nothing serious; just a question of time.

ouch, I had that back in the day, not very fun to have. mine wasn't serious enough to keep me from snowboarding though, it was just a b*tch when i hit my knee on something and would become pretty achy when I had to keep my leg in a bent position for a long period of time without being able to stretch it out(like on a long drive in the car or on a plane). advil helped on the snowboarding days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Here is a timely update on this 2009 thread  ;-)
Jules is now 22 and still at it, fully dedicated to our sport. He made it to the big leagues (the racing shot was taken in Cortina last December). Of the original young carvers who were mentioned above he has raced the Winters several times (Cody and Billy).

Are any of the others still active -- Arclite, KingCrimson, spil, aactis?

Cortina 2018 - Jules.PNG

Two hand carve - Jules.JPG

• Like 6