Note to New Members ×

Young Carvers

Arclite

I'm 14 years old, and the only other young carver that I know of is Theo (KingCrimson).

Most of my friends who snowboard, always ride freestyle, and they are always like "Dude what the h3ll?? Why do you carve? You need to ride slopestyle man!"

I want to know, if any other young carvers are out there....and by young I mean 25-

Not 30's or 40's, 25 and younger.

I'm 14 years old, and the only other young carver that I know of is Theo (KingCrimson).

Most of my friends who snowboard, always ride freestyle, and they are always like "Dude what the h3ll?? Why do you carve? You need to ride slopestyle man!"

I want to know, if any other young carvers are out there....and by young I mean 25-

Not 30's or 40's, 25 and younger.

Dave Winters has a son who snowboards, he's even younger than you. I started carving when I was (thinking ... ) 16? 15? not quite sure. Started snowboarding at 11.

Damn, I was young last year when I started! Now that I'm 26 I feel those bones creaking like a lot of the old timers here. My doctor thinks I even have arthritis in my thumb joint :biggthump

Carving isn't dangerous and and rebellious enough for teens. Just like young 'uns today I grew up watching skateboarding and half pipe and all that. It's just cooler and more flashy to watch. I've found the best way to spread proper carving is to offer time teaching newbies. Most just want to freeride and cruise with their friends so they're receptive to anyone who wants to help them learn.

Damn, I was young last year! Now that I'm 26 I feel those bones creaking like a lot of the old timers here. My doctor thinks I even have arthritis in my thumb joint :biggthump

Carving isn't dangerous and and rebellious enough for teens. Just like young 'uns today I grew up watching skateboarding and half pipe and all that. It's just cooler and more flashy to watch. I've found the best way to spread proper carving is to offer time teaching newbies. Most just want to freeride and cruise with their friends so they're receptive to anyone who wants to help them learn.

Hey Loc, how come you never make it to any of our Snow Summit meets?

We've got one planned for Sunday, post a reply on the March 8th thread if you're interested

We've got one planned for Sunday, post a reply on the March 8th thread if you're interested

He'll be at SNES.

Plus, he rides with the cool kids at High (me)

15..started at 14.

Large number of racers our age and younger.. We're not actually special, although it's fun to think we are.

Im getting ready to let my daughter try hbs at 7 yrs old.

Let you know how it goes.

My 7 year old daughter has been using her ski boots this year on her snowboard. Two reasons really, easier for her to control, and (me being selfish) didn't want to have to change boots for her all day long!

So, she finally talked me into getting her soft boots. I found little Burton Freestyle bindings on sale and I got those bindings and 2 pairs of boots (couldn't decide which size) for $50.

She claims she can tie the boots up herself, but I've yet to see that!

I like to mix up the resorts I go to. June, Summit, High, Mammoth, and Tahoe. Local mountains are coming up next in the rotation so hopefully I can synch up with you guys. I want my pic taken too :eplus2:

Hey, get some of your friends into carving. There's gotta be some who have never ridden before but want to learn. We can start them off right ;)

rides softies. He doesn't just ride softies. He rides 'em DUCK.

I HATE DUCK!

Looks like what Bruce Brown calls, "... the survival stinkbug stance...", in The Endless Summer.

Hope to expose my son to a "real carver" who lays out screaming, horizontal turns this spring or early next winter. If he sees/talks with a speed king, I think he might be turned on enough to get off his Chopper.

Congrats on choosing this supreme, off-beat sport!

BB

started at 16 and tried in vain to convert others to hardboots. 12 yrs later i still get strange looks. :smashfrea

buy a second setup good for beginners and make your friends carve in their old ski boots for a half day. someone is sure to catch on eventually. . .