Note to New Members ×

AC seperation

Bobby Buggs

Well as i tell people gravity always wins in the end, i crashed on my board closing the season at mt snow vt today, 2nd degree ac seperation.

Anyone ever have this? man typing with 1 hand really sucks

I got a type two separation playing ice hockey three years ago. For me the instability went away after the first week, and then after two more weeks of somewhat painful and tiring physical therapy (3 times a week for an hour) I was back playing ice hockey and that shoulder is stronger than my "healthy" one.

Hey, at least you did it at the end of the season. When I broke my back 2 years ago, it was on my first day of the season.

I think they call AC separations "Piano Key" separations because of the way the end of your clavical sticks up at your shoulder joint. Your's may not be bad enough to behave this way.

gave my self a second degree sep. on a rail earlier this season :smashfrea did you hear the pop when it seperated? Mine was loud enough that the guy i was riding with heard it ten feet away :lol: it healed up just fine, but every time i have a flat landing i get a painful reminder of what happens when you start spending too much time in the park...

Well as i tell people gravity always wins in the end, i crashed on my board closing the season at mt snow vt today, 2nd degree ac seperation.

Anyone ever have this? man typing with 1 hand really sucks

Last year at Carver's Gone Wild, I did not fully comprehend what Eric meant when he said something about watching out for rollers. Bottom dropped out, landed but grabbed too much edge, over the handlebars and came down on point of left shoulder. Result was total disconnect of AC joint (is this type 3?). I have a permanent lump. If I was a left-handed QB, reattachment could be called for. As it is, at least I shouldn't get arthritis in the joint as there is no contact. I had massive black and blue all around the shoulder area. Putting on shirts (especially pullovers) was problematic for a while.

Life and carving go on, but what's this going to do to your softball career?

- Dave

if you're thinking of playing baseball. You will probably find the AC separation gives you problems in that case. I got myself a grade 3/4 separation from an endo on my bike (if only I'd tucked and rolled) and after countless hours of rehab I rarely notice it--except when I try to throw a baseball. Doctor told me to leave the separation alone unless I was going to play ball for a living, or spend a lot of time in a sundress with little shoulder straps :eek: In those cases, they can cut a little of the end of the bone off, screw it back down where it belongs, and re-attach some of the ligaments. Three months later they cut you open again and take out the screw. Then rehab. Of course, as always, your mileage may vary. I just found a good tailor :D

Gotta watch those superman imitations when you go over the bars! The cure sounds more gruesome than the actual injury. Just make sure you have chest straps on your camelbaks and backpaks, you will find you'll need them. Welcome to the world of the slightly deformed. :rolleyes:

mario

order a sully brace online and wear it. they are hot and sweaty because of the neoprene but they do work. The alternative is finding someone who does functional taping and get it taped regularly. It will allow you to move and function without further injury. Done right it will reduce the goose egg and bring your shoulder up level again. Don't wait or it won't be as effective

Guest dragonsword5

Hmmmm....

What's an AC seperation? From the other posts I'm guessing its somewhere in the shoulder? :confused:

Sorry to hear about your injury bobby and like someone else said above good thing it happened at the end of the season instead of the beginning :biggthump

Imagine taking hold of your collar bone and pulling it out of the spot where it attaches to your shoulder :eek: Some one correct me here but I think the injury actually happens when you shoulder takes an impact which drives it away from your clavicle (collar bone)

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/shoulder/acjoint.htm

What's an AC seperation? From the other posts I'm guessing its somewhere in the shoulder?

I think I did this several years back and had forgotten that I had basically until I tried to throw a football for a simple 20 yard pass and it nearly dropped me. :mad:

Dont have to throw for a living though. :)

It sucks to get old and busted up - good thing experience and deviousness can defeat youth and enthusiasm almost every time. :eplus2:

Heal fast Bobby. Sorry about the ding.

I guess I must've done something similar this season cause when I try to throw, it kills. I was playing catch with my daughter and I had to throw underhand. This is a problem since I coach baseball in the summer.

I did this early in the season when I jammed my hand into the snow on a toeside turn. It forced my shoulder back in a rather violent fashion. Does this sound like an ac separation? I know, I know, go see a doctor.

I guess I must've done something similar this season cause when I try to throw, it kills. I was playing catch with my daughter and I had to throw underhand. This is a problem since I coach baseball in the summer.

I did this early in the season when I jammed my hand into the snow on a toeside turn. It forced my shoulder back in a rather violent fashion. Does this sound like an ac separation? I know, I know, go see a doctor.

No, you would know if you had an AC separation. Because you can physically feel your collarbone separate from your shoulder bone and it's a very weird, unique, slightly painful feeling. You sound like you have a rotator cuff injury.

Basically what you need to do (for any shoulder injury once it has healed sufficiently) external rotator exercises, side delts and rear delts. These muscles stabilize your shoulder and keep it from clicking, moving out of socket, separating, etc...

External rotator exercises

http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2004/exercise_of_month/external_rotation.htm

Unless you had a type 4 or worse separation, you can usually be back to 90-99% mobility and strength provided you rehab, rehab, rehab until you cry and rehab some more... most people are lazy and give up and end up having a bum shoulder

I have to see a PT about my back so I guess I'll ask her about the shoulder. Thanks for the links.

One positive thing is I played golf for the the first time this season and I can still whack the little white ball. Now putting, on the other hand...

Anyone else feel like they might be getting too old for this carving thing? Last season, 4 broken ribs and a concussion, this season, the shoulder.

Hmmmm....

What's an AC seperation? From the other posts I'm guessing its somewhere in the shoulder? :confused:

Sorry to hear about your injury bobby and like someone else said above good thing it happened at the end of the season instead of the beginning :biggthump

AC separation.....Your shoulder joint is comprised of your glenoid fossa of your scapula and your humerus or arm bone. Your scapula looks like a flat triangle with one of the corners being thicker and with a flat surface on one side-your glenoid fossa. If you didn't have your clavicle working as a strut to maintain a fixed distance between your sternum and your shoulder, your arm/shoulder would fold inward every time you held your arm in front of you. Your clavicle attaches by means of ligaments to a bony prominence right next to the glanoid fossa called the acromium. "AC" stands for "acromio-clavicular" and a shoulder separation or AC separation is a disruption of the ligament that holds those two bony structures together. There is a gradation of damage and most AC separations do fine without surgery...

I dislocated my shoulder-that is also called a glenohumeral disruption. The shoulder is unique because it is a joint with ligaments like the knee or hip-the joint integrity is maintained by your "rotator cuff" comprised of 4 muscles that hold the joint in place and a ring of cartilage called the labrum on your glenoid fossa that serves as a sort of giude path for the humerus' movement against the glenoid fossa. I cannot remember the names of all the muscles of the rotator cuff, sorry-gross anatomy was 20 years ago....

Supraspinatus, subscapularis,pectoralis minor......okay, I'll look it up

Anyone else feel like they might be getting too old for this carving thing? Last season, 4 broken ribs and a concussion, this season, the shoulder.
What do you mean? Carving is what I plan to fall back on *when* I get old. 4 broken ribs?!?! Did you accidentally run into tree or get clipped from behind by a speeding downhiller? I'm a bit paranoid about that last one as I like to do big trailwide S-carves. I try to check if the way is clear twice before each carve.

I managed to hurt my shoulder's and Achilles' heel joints on the last day of season, aswell. Fell on shoulder on the first run of the day and injure my leg on the forth. When looking back now I can't really believe that I could hurt it with a plastic boot :freak3: . But anything can happen with me :D . Nevertheless I continued to ride and only after removing leg from the boot at the end of the day I found out that I couldn't walk on it. The boot had fixed my leg nice and tight. Luckily no fractures or anything. Anyway that forced me to a three-week pause from all the sport, which kinda sucks. But the rehab period is ending soon :biggthump . And I thank god it didn't happen on the first days of the season.

I had also a third more serious fall on that day. A damn seldger (yes, a guy on a sledge) hit me and I fell on my head hard. Just loved my helmet at that moment.

The sledger had thought that I turned on the right side of the slope so the straight-down path was free. Unbelieavable guys out there. :AR15firin

Take care and heal fast!