Note to New Members ×

Correlation between regular/goofy and right handed/left handed

Derf

Regular or goofy and right or left handed?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Regular or goofy and right or left handed?

• Regular and right handed
    • Regular and left handed
    • Goofy and right handed
    • Goofy and left handed

For those ambidextrous, chose the side you use the most../QUOTE]

hand: mostly righty but start writing with the left hand then my parents forced me to use the right hand...

snow: regular but I think goofie could do it as well (tried fakkie with soft boots, no worries)

other stuff: mostly use left hand to open cans, jump is a bit easier with the left leg, for raquet sports I use the right hand but the left one is stronger; for volley ball, well I never knew myself which leg or hand I would use before going for a smash :eek: and for my brain I'm pretty sure I use both sides:D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best test of goofy and regular for newbies that I have found is - if you were in socks on a hard wood floor and were to run and slide, which foot would you put forward. Usually, I ask the question on the snow, and they can run and slide for me.

Does anyone have a better test than that?

As far as a test, I've always had them stand still and then I push them forward from behind without telling them. Which ever foot they step out with (instinctively) is the lead foot.

Now as far as the survey, I ride goofy, but I think i could ride pretty good regular, if I had a soft boot duck stance set up. I keep working on riding switch on the hard board but its tough.

I can bat either righty or lefty, Golf only tried right handed clubs, most other things right handed. My dad was a lefty.

Wow, this is not how i thought this survey would turn out... appearently there is no correlation at all between left right and goofy regular. myth busted:flamethro

If anything it shows that left-handers are more likely than right-handers to be regular.

Right-handers

55% regular

45% goofy

Left-handers

61% regular

39% goofy

That goes opposite to what I would have thought. :confused:

• 2 years later...

The best test of goofy and regular for newbies that I have found is - if you were in socks on a hard wood floor and were to run and slide, which foot would you put forward. Usually, I ask the question on the snow, and they can run and slide for me.

I've been using the same test this season. It's been working almost 100%, and the one person who it didn't work for, I think was just trying to find excuses to not snowboard.

Thanks for the bump, hadn't seen this one.

I've known I was right foot forward since sliding on the icy puddles as a little kid, definately the most accurate test, the push from behind depends on wieght shift.

for me the right side is more dexterous, the left side is stronger & longer. Yes I am lopsided.

skate, surf, snowboard goofy

kick right

write right

shoot right archery, guns & camera

eating & tools ambidexterous

switch heels first, skis & board (took some practice)

deth before duck (hurts my knees)

I skate and ride goofy. I don't surf (yet!) so I'll have to figure that one out this summer (hopefully - I was supposed to take care of that last summer).

Oddly enough though, I started out regular and randomly switched to goofy at one point. Bizarre.

Derf, lefty in hockey is as you said, holding the end of the stick with the right hand, middle of the stick with the left. I would say a significant majority of people shoot hockey righty.

Hmmm... I disagree, there have never been more than 4-5 rightees per teams that I`ve played on. This year, NHL shooters have been approximately 65% to 35% in favour of the lefties, and keep in mind that teams try to have at least a few right-shooters for the powerplay and right wingers / right dee.

However, I think this is also going to change, as sport shops aren't making straight blades anymore. Dad first gave me a plastic stick with a straight blade when I was starting to play on the ODRs, and eventually I just went into something natural. Parents now tend to have their own ideas as to what determines a left/right shooter. Concensus here seems to be that if you write with your right hand, you shoot left, but my brother is right handed and shoots right as well, so you never know. It also depends on the first hockey stick that you buy or is given to you, you kind of just get used to it.

I've heard a lot of players like playing "lefty" shot as well because that leaves your stronger arm on top, which is the hand proving the power in your wrist/snapshots and also when controlling the puck with one hand on the stick (the otherhand keeping the defender at arms length or blocking a sweep check). I don't think soccer has any correspondence since most people are left-footed if they are left handed (not always) as I am, but I still ride regular. Eye dominance might have something to do with it... I think it's separate from handed and footedness.

True on the pushing the puck forward with one hand when you're on a break. I believe the top hands serves more for stability/precision, as the left hand really drive the stick, forcing it to hit the ice (at the height allowed by the right hand) and bend so that it rockets the puck away when it snaps straight again.

Think of carving, exactly the same :D

Another bump.

When I was very little I started to draw, use crayons etc, with my left hand. My parents said no no dear, use your right hand.........so I'm right handed but under duress.

goofy footer

right handed

right footed (kicking)

hockey right handed

tennis etc. right handed

baseball right handed

now it gets weird

billiards left handed

rifles left handed (haven't shot a handgun, but I'd do it RH I think)

archery left hand draw

I've done a lot of wirefeed welding (AL mig) in recent years. I can weld with either hand. Left handed travelling right, right handed travelling left. I have not met another welder that can do this. (and I've met quite a few welders) I weld tig the same as most people. Torch in right hand, filler in left hand.

later,

Dave R.

Another bump.

When I was very little I started to draw, use crayons etc, with my left hand. My parents said no no dear, use your right hand.........so I'm right handed but under duress.

goofy footer

right handed

right footed (kicking)

hockey right handed

tennis etc. right handed

baseball right handed

now it gets weird

billiards left handed

archery left hand draw

I've done a lot of wirefeed welding (AL mig) in recent years. I can weld with either hand. Left handed travelling right, right handed travelling left. I have not met another welder that can do this. (and I've met quite a few welders) I weld tig the same as most people. Torch in right hand, filler in left hand.

later,

Dave R.

Maybe your left eye is stronger, so that is more imortant for task that require sighting.

BobD

Maybe your left eye is stronger, so that is more imortant for task that require sighting.

BobD

Yes, I'm left eye dominant. When I shoot with my SLR I've always looked in the finder with my left eye. It doesn't feel quite right with the right eye.

later,

Dave R.

When I was little and first getting into board sports I just figured that if you were left handed you were goofy and right handed you were regular. But then I met other riders.

I am right handed. I ride regular. I do everything right handed. However there are two oddities. When I talk on the phone I use my left hand/ear. That classic exercise to figure out if you are goofy or regular...of sliding on ice....I do that goofy (right foot forward).

goofy footer

right handed

right footed (kicking)

hockey right handed

tennis etc. right handed

baseball right handed

now it gets weird

billiards left handed

archery left hand draw

I think that goes into the weird column as well. Righties usually shoot left for hockey based on what I've seen.

I also realized that I butchered the spelling of "write" in one of my previous posts.

I think that goes into the weird column as well. Righties usually shoot left for hockey based on what I've seen.

I also realized that I butchered the spelling of "write" in one of my previous posts.

Just to clarify, I play the same hand as the gentleman in your post above.(#65) I know there was some confusion about this earlier.

later,

Dave R.