Note to New Members ×

Correlation between regular/goofy and right handed/left handed

Derf

Regular or goofy and right or left handed?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Regular or goofy and right or left handed?

• Regular and right handed
    • Regular and left handed
    • Goofy and right handed
    • Goofy and left handed

Foot forward when falling = foot forward when snowboarding. Works every time. Most of the time. Ususally. Sometimes. :freak3: No but really it usually works.

That is a rental shop favorite as well. In my experience, it has not been accurate either. The logic is there, though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my problems is that my feet are too big to ever ride duck. Even on the widest board, I can only run 33 degrees without getting toe and heel drag. Can you imagine a duck stance with a 66 degree split? It will never happen.

I have seen it, except in hardboots. I posted about my random sighting a while ago, but in any case this guy I saw at Northstar at Tahoe had his Raichle hardboots set up at roughly +30/-30 degrees. Weird, weird, weird. No, he wasn't carving.

The "sliding in socks" test works in my opinion, and the "pushing them from behind" test seems like a good test to see which foot they happen to have shifted their weight to while they were standing around...

As demonstrated by this poll.

What is lefty in hockey? From what I've seen (when playing in high school, I don't watch the NHL), most people hold the end of the stick with the right and the middle of the stick with the left, but this would be left handed in my opinion. At hockey, I hold the end with the left hand and the middle with the right hand, and like I said previously, I am right handed.

Soccer would correspond with snowboarding I think.

I've heard a lot of players like playing "lefty" shot as well because that leaves your stronger arm on top, which is the hand proving the power in your wrist/snapshots and also when controlling the puck with one hand on the stick (the otherhand keeping the defender at arms length or blocking a sweep check). I don't think soccer has any correspondence since most people are left-footed if they are left handed (not always) as I am, but I still ride regular. Eye dominance might have something to do with it... I think it's separate from handed and footedness.

started life as as a lefty spent 22 years left handed then switched to right (long story) right handed for 17 years this July. I have always skated/snowboarded regular though I push Mongo skating. I always skated with Goofy footers so my backsides are better than my frontsides

Most of us have a dominant eye. My right eye is dominant and I ride regular.

A weird thing happened to me when I moved to the US eleven years ago and started driving on the other side of the road. I started getting left and right mixed up. Not just driving, but anywhere. It was as if my brain flip flopped left and right. I have to force myself to think of a turn across oncomming traffic as a left turn because that will always be a right turn in my mind. It has improved in recent times, but is still embarrassing when passing someone on the hill and shouting "on your left, no err on your right"

BobD

Interesting results! I'm:

-right-handed

-regular foot

-lefty in hockey

-slide on ice with right foot forward

-hit jumps on bike/uneven terrain with right foot forward

-right eye dominant

-fairly ambidextrous when working with tools

and I ride with my right foot forward as well..... :D Seriously, right handed and ride goofy on snowboard, skateboard, wakeboard, & surfboard. Can throw a baseball, football, and bat left or right handed. Play hockey right handed, but taught all 3 of my kids to play left handed like they do in Canada. I've been coaching inline for about 10 years and as mentioned before this produces a much stronger shot being that your "strong arm" is pulling the stick through the shot. Also found this makes for a wicked backhand as demonstrated by my oldest daughter and son being able to bury the puck in the top corners of the net at will on their backhands. My son is righthanded, boards regular, throws & hits with his left and plays hockey left handed...go figure?

Have fun,

Paul

From what I know from having surfed and skateboarded my whole life is that most people are regular footed, like one poster noted that it is a 70-30% split, hence the name "regular". I am a goofy footer by nature however I can ride and carve switchstance pretty well, I had to practice at it alot though. Whenever I go riding with people that aren't at my level or I go by myself I will spend a good portion of the day riding switch just for fun. I don't think I would ride a hardboot set up switch I think it would be very awkward, and would feel a little helpless not being able to pop back over to my natural stance if I need to in an emergency. My personal take as to why people are regular or goofy is that the rider is more predominately left brained or right brained. Left brained=Goofy right brained=regular. Just an opinion obviously, feel free to challenge this hypothesis.

TrenchDigger

Well i write with my right hand but do any other sports left handed and i ride regular. Which should i be considiered?
I would still say left-handed, a bunch of my family members were "taught" to write with their right hand at a young age... but still favor left hand for most other things.

From what I know from having surfed and skateboarded my whole life is that most people are regular footed, like one poster noted that it is a 70-30% split, hence the name "regular".
I think it's only 70/30 for surfing. Our little poll here has it 55/45 and I think that's close to reality for snowboarding. I think there's something about surfing culture that has more of a push towards regular, but not being a surfer that's just speculation on my part.

If you look at pro skateboarding or pro snowboarding most of them are regular foot. In another thread there is a discussion about there being alot of engineer/science nerds (I am one too so not a derogatory remark) which also lends itself to my left/right brained hypothesis. Most scientific thinkers are left brained. So it does not surprise me that there are more goofy footers here.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Left Brain</TD><TD width=20 rowSpan=3>

</TD><TD align=middle>Right Brain</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Logical

Sequential

Rational

Analytical

Objective

Looks at parts </TD><TD align=middle>Random

Intuitive

Holistic

Synthesizing

Subjective

Looks at wholes </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

people have a natural tendancy, many years of teaching has hsown me that. watch a beginner, they have one way that they ted to do, but if you dont put into their heads that there's one way to ride 99% of people can be taught both. i can irde anything regular and up to and including single diamonds with moguls goofy(on softies, i'm a blue goofy rider on hardboots), and park is jumps and rails are easier for me goofy. but i'm also an exception to most rules, i'm left side dominant but write with my right hand, golf righty, but putt lefty, throw righty but bat lefty.

Guest Marilyn Cambers

Boarding: goofy

Hand: righty

Golf: righty

Running on treadmill/track: righty

Football/baseball/hockey: What??? NOT a chance!

Vaccuuming: lefty

Dusting: righty

Grocery shopping: righty

Mall shopping: lefty :D

"Motivating" my handsome "Shred" :1luvu: off the couch: ambidextrous (using trench digger's philosophy this means that I am looking at parts and wholes, being objective and subjective, and yet it is random, inituitive, logical and rational).

;) Marilyn

I agree...I got to check my pics but I think they may have stuck my son goofy his first day of lessons and regular the second..in both cases, he wasn't in a duck stance. I think duck is a great way to learn if you haven't had previous experience with board sports. Pick your preferred stance after you are used to sliding sideways

After setting up millions of riders (OK, hundreds) I agree there is no correlation. However, what I have observed (and this is a wide statement, by no means something to go by) is that MOST women are goofy and MOST men are regular. Right or left handed doesn't seem to matter.

I'm right handed, and goofy.

After setting up millions of riders (OK, hundreds) I agree there is no correlation. However, what I have observed (and this is a wide statement, by no means something to go by) is that MOST women are goofy and MOST men are regular. Right or left handed doesn't seem to matter. I'm right handed, and goofy.

Looks like you have a new poll to start Michelle.:biggthump

I am goofy, but through all of my years growing up, my big brother told me that I was a little girl.;)

I had not been to the Off Topic forum since you guys changed up the whole forum. Wow, I did not realize that the O.T. thread was still going! I just figured that it finally died (not thinking there was another forum for O.T.) 28 pages - unbelievable.

Here's some tidbits of knowledge for all you lefties (from Wikepedia, so it must be true):

The word "sinister" is derived from the Latin word that described left-handed people.

Studies have shown that there is a correlation between committing sexual crimes against children and being left-handed.