Note to New Members ×

Correlation between regular/goofy and right handed/left handed

Derf

Regular or goofy and right or left handed?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Regular or goofy and right or left handed?

• Regular and right handed
    • Regular and left handed
    • Goofy and right handed
    • Goofy and left handed

I'm curious about this as I was talking about similar things with my girlfriend. So the question is simple: regular or goofy, right or left handed. For those ambidextrous, chose the side you use the most.

As for me, I ride goofy and I am right handed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is that it is completely unrelated to handedness and leggedness (which leg you prefer to kick with - tends to be the same) but that's just from what I've seen in the past decade.

I wish that the rental shops would realize this. No, there is no correlation.

I've long known that I'm 'left legged'.

My 19 year old son however is right handed and goofy (so far). He seems to ride switch quite easliy. My 15 yo daughter is left handed (as is her mother) but I do not know how she would ride. ( OK... I do know how she would ride... with one heck of an attitude :freak3: )

Not a surfer myself but I understand that there used to be some pressure on people to ride left foot forward, and thus the "regular" and "goofy" designations. It's a lot more evenly distributed in skateboarding and snowboarding. Perhaps some surfers can confirm whether there is still a pressure to ride regular.

Tennis: righty, but I have a good backhand - because then I'm standing goofy!

I have taught and coached tennis as well as being an avid player in 4.5 and 5.0 leagues and tournies (when there is no snow on the ground of course). And there is a great correlation here.

So Jack, do you prefer an open stance forehand? Most goofy footed righties do.

It also correlates to how you will rail slide on skis.

The best test of goofy and regular for newbies that I have found is - if you were in socks on a hard wood floor and were to run and slide, which foot would you put forward. Usually, I ask the question on the snow, and they can run and slide for me.

Does anyone have a better test than that?

The best test of goofy and regular for newbies that I have found is - if you were in socks on a hard wood floor and were to run and slide, which foot would you put forward. Usually, I ask the question on the snow, and they can run and slide for me.
I've always thought of that question as "which foot forward when you run and slide on ice" but then it occured to me that maybe quite a few Americans don't have that common cultural reference... any Canadian kid knows what you're talking about right away.

Anyways, I thought the modern instructor's solution was to set them up centred and duck, and let them sort out direction for themselves.

After my vote, 15 RH Reg, 15 RH Goofy, 3 LH Reg, 2 LH Goofy.

I'm RH Regular. If my wife voted, she would be LH Regular.

Still similar:

RH Reg: 22

RH Goofy: 21

LH Reg: 4

LH Goofy: 3

This interesting study seems to prove 3 things:

1) There is no correlation between the two

2) There is almost as much goofy as regular riders

3) 14% of riders are left handed, which corresponds to the accepted number of 13% in the population according to this non-scientific source: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/lefty-faq/

I also practice archery, and the side on which you shoot is determined by eye dominance, and some are right handed left eye dominance, so I think the same would apply there.

absolutely no correlation.

As demonstrated by this poll.

me:

Hockey: lefty

Soccer: right foot

What is lefty in hockey? From what I've seen (when playing in high school, I don't watch the NHL), most people hold the end of the stick with the right and the middle of the stick with the left, but this would be left handed in my opinion. At hockey, I hold the end with the left hand and the middle with the right hand, and like I said previously, I am right handed.

Soccer would correspond with snowboarding I think.

Anyways, I thought the modern instructor's solution was to set them up centred and duck, and let them sort out direction for themselves.

I think that it is in a lot of places. You don't need to be duck to figure it out, though. I still prefer a directional stance setup with a guess. If the back foot is set up at 0 degrees or even a little forward, people will still be able to tell most of the time which way they prefer. If you are naturally regular and are set up goofy, switch riding will still feel better even with a directional stance. I do some traversing both ways with a lot of my newbs. After a couple of traverses, it is usually clear to me and a lot of times, it is clear to them as well. Maybe I am just "old school".

One of my problems is that my feet are too big to ever ride duck. Even on the widest board, I can only run 33 degrees without getting toe and heel drag. Can you imagine a duck stance with a 66 degree split? It will never happen.

Im really wierd.

Right Handed

Drive with my left

Fly with my left

Playing golf Approach is right handed but I putt left handed

Snowboard goofy

Skateboard regular

Start walking on my left foot

The test I've always used to determine regular or goofy is to stand behind the person in question and give them enough of a shove to unbalance them so they need to take a step forward. Foot forward when falling = foot forward when snowboarding. Works every time. Most of the time. Ususally. Sometimes. :freak3: No but really it usually works.

________

Mflb

The test I've always used to determine regular or goofy is to stand behind the person in question and give them enough of a shove to unbalance them so they need to take a step forward. Foot forward when falling = foot forward when snowboarding. Works every time. Most of the time. Ususally. Sometimes. :freak3: No but really it usually works.

Then I started snowboarding 16 years ago with the wrong foot forward...damn, now I have to start all over again!!!! :lol: