Note to New Members ×

Should we all just start straight lining? Is getting smoked by the general public from behind the new norm?

slopestar

Rode today at A-Basin. Freeze-thaw. Almost no one was setting any real edge, no real edge sets in the frozen off-groom either. It's just amazing how people have normalized linked sideslips and "sending it" *shaka brah*. I had no issues, even off groom. Just had to worry about my core/back due to PT.

I looked at several people very closely as they went by. They were definitely straight-lining it because a turn would have made them eat shit. They would not avoid you if you turned in front of them.

Edited by Odd Job

On 5/21/2024 at 11:39 AM, slopestar said:

Maybe its time to go on the offensive and just start smoking people

chinese down hill, full spiked armor, mace skipoles, start spinnin from oneside of the run to the other in Tasmanian Devil mode👹

since $hwietzer sold out, week days are not even close to the haven they once were😪

rich does not make one smart, elitist is as elitist does! they are going to pass you and how dare you turn in front of them in a predictably consistent manner!

Now that I think about it swinging my poles around every turn like a drunken monkey style defense should work to keep even the ignorant a step or two back!!

has anyone tried flashing lights on the helmet, maybe like the cop strobes that cause seizures.

Edited by b0ardski

4 hours ago, b0ardski said:

Now that I think about it swinging my poles around every turn like a drunken monkey style defense should work to keep even the ignorant a step or two back!!

Years ago I was riding with Mr. Knapton, we were stopped and waiting for a clearing. After one racer guy buzzed way too close to our group, he got up and started flailing like he was fighting for balance. All of the others gave a WIDE berth around us. Simply brilliant! 

Moral: Look out of control to be safer? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, b0ardski said:

rich does not make one smart, elitist is as elitist does! they are going to pass you and how dare you turn in front of them in a predictably consistent manner!

Worth repeating...wealthy does not equal wise...

• Like 1

You often have to make a series of good decisions to accumulate, and keep wealth. That's the other side of the coin. Although I bet you can find a ton of counter-examples on the internet.

Certainly not always, but wealth and a feeling of privilege are often bedfellows. In our society a certain aggressive mindset is often celebrated and rewarded with wealth.  

Wisdom requires a measure of humility ... to not feel entitled to "my lane", or think "I just want to take this annoying guy who's in my way."  

I've seen many stay back just to watch with respect, rather than "own" the run... Others not so much.

• Like 4

Well this thread is taking an interesting albeit quite off topic path. It is surprising how in the USA the culture of private propiety is so much anchored deep. As @Jack Mwas saying, sure there is a market for rich bastards (not being objective here) closing themselves in some resort and only allowing for ski practice. But that would be just plain unacceptable in Europe. Social democracy will root itself in a non wild capitalism, where some public things just as a damn mountain are COMMUNAL in its nature. 
Besides, I get @Odd Job you like to do some healthy trolling, but c’mon, just look at soccer moms and 8-in-the-morning corporates slaves, I mean workers, with their Range Rovers and Mercedes going Mike Tyson on the pedal gas and horns. Does anyone believe that people will gently avoid carvers? 

• LOL 1

Soccer moms at Whole Foods are the best! Must check out Erewhon in California!

I assume no one will avoid me. It's why I prefer resorts with less density. Getting resorts less dense usually means $$$$. I would prefer worrying about 500 morons at Copper vs 2000 (or whatever the right number is).

4 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I assume no one will avoid me. It's why I prefer resorts with less density... I would prefer worrying about 500 morons at Copper vs 2000 

^This.  It just makes sense from a mathematical standpoint. 

4 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Getting resorts less dense usually means $$$$. 

I find just the opposite: my high the price resorts (Mammoth, Palisades, Alpine, Heavenly, Summit) attract more "accomplish in my own mind" skiers whose skill seems to be measured in mph rather than turns.  

My lower cost resorts (June, Snow Valley) have less ridership and bravado.  I've had a pristine carving runs all to myself many times at these places - never at the more expensive.  Maybe it's the more relaxed "it's not a competition" vibe they carry.  The math just works for me there.

Those resorts are on major passes, so many resorts for the low price of ~1K (it's actually a deal, in my opinion). It's why I suggested bringing the price more up to like 2 or 3K.

Never been to June, but I assume it's like Loveland. Not on any major passes or so. ~$500 is a steep price to pay for a season pass to one resort. It does its job, if it was 1K for just one area, it would be an empty wasteland of joy.

If I was on a budget and valued variety for the price, the $1K Ikon/Epic is a discount Walmart deal over paying $500 for just one area.

3 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Those resorts are on major passes, so many resorts for the low price of ~1K (it's actually a deal, in my opinion). It's why I suggested bringing the price more up to like 2 or 3K.

Ok, so true.  I was thinking day-pass price not season pass price, so essentially they are all "cheap".  All listed are on Ikon or Epic.  

More accurately, they, (June etc) are smaller and less popular than their "cool" siblings.

For me, smaller and less popular has paid dividends in less crowds, less attitude.  I would pay more for that, but I don't have to because the masses go to the uber slopes....where I have always assumed the monied people go there based on the autos i see in the lot and the cost of everything besides lift tickets.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:45 AM, Odd Job said:

You often have to make a series of good decisions to accumulate, and keep wealth. That's the other side of the coin. Although I bet you can find a ton of counter-examples on the internet.

You clearly don’t follow thequalifiedcaptain on Instagram. 😉

13 hours ago, Odd Job said:

~$500 is a steep price to pay for a season pass to one resort. It does its job, if it was 1K for just one area, it would be an empty wasteland of joy.

In the east where we have to pay for extensive snowmaking and nightly grooming, "gold" passes (valid every day, no restrictions) approach $1500.  Weekends are still crowded.

• Wow 1

41 minutes ago, Aracan said:

I don't have the links ready, but a few years ago there was a seemingly robust study that showed no connection between IQ and financial success.

While googling this I stumbled across the smartest man in the world, who is not rich.  But he did score a 1600 on the SAT despite taking a nap during the test.  😂

• Like 1

I meant good decisions, like not being an alcoholic/druggie, and spending 90% of your income on stuff.

If you go to ChooseFI or whatever fb groups, tons of average folks with good habits are millionaires/multi-millionaires (not counting the home they live in). They would not be at their networth if they made stupid decisions regularly over a period of time.

Edited by Odd Job

More importantly, it's entirely possible to be rich and not smart, because luck plays a big part. Which is why successful people are in some ways easier prey for scammers. I recommend David Maurer's "The Big Con" for a great read on this and other subjects.

Edited by Aracan
  • Like 1

Rode Abasin Saturday and luckily avoided many waves of gaper-suits and Hawaiian shirts mobbing to the bottom in tight groups of 10-20 people. Love spring but you can leave the flair and shenanigans at home...

• Like 3

On 5/27/2024 at 5:40 PM, Jack M said:

No I agree.  But it's like I said, people are often smart and expert in some ways/areas/subjects, and simultaneously stupid in other ways.  Which is how someone can skipper their ~$400,000 Contender under a low bridge and shear off their radar unit.

WOW, and here I though half a mil would get you a bigger boat than that!!

Thinking about a new helmet.

spacer.png

Edited by b0ardski
  • LOL 3