Note to New Members ×

Show Your Rear Boot Forward Lean!

barryj

Curious as to what everybody's rear boot forward lean is on your boots for some Hard Charging Carving and what the average is these days??

On my rear boot I got my BTS short spring compressed about  1/4 inch....or 3/4 inch if measured from bottom of BTS.

What you got??    

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by barryj

6 minutes ago, dredman said:

Here ya go.

D,  Can I assume the first two photos are your front boot?

...and if the last two photos are your rear boot, the way you measured, from the bottom of the BTS  it looks like your averaging over an inch for your rear boots

5 hours ago, barryj said:

D,  Can I assume the first two photos are your front boot?

...and if the last two photos are your rear boot, the way you measured, from the bottom of the BTS  it looks like your averaging over an inch for your rear boots

Yes, first two photos front boot.  When setting them up, I just tweaked them until I found where I like them while riding.  5mm Allen works great for tuning to your liking.  Red springs on carving set up, yellow on pow setup.  

there really is no right or wrong with boot and binding setup, only what works for you.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dredman said:

, first two photos front boot

I always thought you wanted your front boot more vertical. What does forward lean on your front boot help you with?

I would think any preset forward lean on front boot would take away from your toe side turn ??

Here's mine, ha ha. The back one is the Phantom lever maximum 26° and the front the minimum 6°. The standard Backland levers have less range: they do have two settings, but they're not far enough apart. The front standard is fine, but the back isn't leant forward enough. For me, with those boots, standard F2 race bindings, with 1° front and 3° rear lifts. I thought about getting the additional rear lean with a greater "stack height" under the back heel, but the Phantom levers solve that problem and you get some springs too.

spacer.png

I'm not sure the springs matter much; one day I shall have to try different springs. Has anyone got anything helpful to say about strong versus weak springs in these systems? I reckon I overpower the springs whatever they are, because I'm a thug, but I may be wrong...

8 hours ago, barryj said:

I always thought you wanted your front boot more vertical. What does forward lean on your front boot help you with?

Yes my front boots are more vertical than my back boots.  This set up is what works for me.  

My suggestion is to ride and tweak until you find your sweet spot.

@philw I ride UPZ RC10s with the original spring system. I do notice the difference between the spring tension I've setup between front and rear. I ride 65F and 60 R with a front facing stance, so quite different from your more cross board stance.

My rear boot is setup at 3 or 4th step of propositioned forward lean i.e. lots. My rear springs have minimal compression allowing me maximum movement forwards from the preset position. My rear lower leg moves through quite an arc as I move my COM up and down while riding.

My front boot is setup in the most vertical preset position. The springs are set to mid to high compression as I need much less forward movement in actual riding, want to be able to accurately load the front half of the edge, and have a little bit of give to help me soak up bumps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dredman said:

front boots are more vertical

Hey D, 

Do you run aggressive front foot forward lean (to get back to vertical) because your running a 6 disk on the front?    

If you went down to a 3 degree disk on front foot wouldn't you therefore need less forward lean on front foot???

Just trying to understand the concept....

If you look at how vastly different any given person looks to any other on the hill, it's no doubt that we all have such a variety of cants/lifts/lean angles. There's no standard answer, just literally adjust to your comfort first and foremost, then tweak from there. 

i.e. If it hurts, it's wrong and you can't extract any meaningful performance. Put on your boots, clip in, watch a video and see what hurts. Adjust away from that. It won't get better on the ski hill! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Just trying to understand the concept....

I am not sure what to tell you for the concept.  @Shred Gruumer said that I should try a wider stance and 6 degree cants, so I did and found it to be quite comfortable.   I did not change my boot lean with the change.  

I just try different combos till I find what works for me.