Note to New Members ×

Goldie Oldies of the 1st gen bomberonline forum ages ago...

LeeW

How many of youse still alpine riding these days? 

Me, not since 2006 switch to lib tech skiing with upz boots. Yet, very seldomly, I pine to return to alpine for a mad fun run on my madd 158 this winter. 

Naturally, hare scramble riding/training takes precedence over alpine riding these days. 

Is it me getting older and getting sick of being cold after 25 years of living on the mountains or I'm not the only one?

Cheers, mate!

L-

6 hours ago, LeeW said:

still alpine riding

Ha!, I've become a Golden Oldie!

Still here...........Hardbooting since 1988?  On BOL since 09?

Turned 66 this year And Still After That Little Thin Line In The Snow! 

Really Hoping to get my MoJo back this season after getting knocked out and airlifted off the Mtn. last Jan by a straightliner!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 4

Hey Lee!  They'll have to pry my hardboots from my cold, dead hands.  Err, feet.

This is kind of fun...

https://web.archive.org/web/19991127075420/http://www.bomberonline.com/

Spin_Carve.gif

I'm a little sad we never found out who that guy was that would purportedly drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and then post diatribes about how lame hardbooting is.  Could be The Angry Snowboarder guy.  His username, if I remember correctly, was CK.

• Like 1

Wow, those are the nicks I have not seen in a long time! Good to see y'all! 

And the yesteryear BOL face - I'm only familiar with 2nd or 3rd iteration (pre-VBulletin days) with the forum. Man, there were quite a load of good stuffs in there at the time. And mad honors to get to know Fin since he and I did indeed lived in the same town. Im so grateful to him for letting me try his original Madd 158 which really set the bar much higher for me, personally. My 2nd gen Madd 158 doesn't even quite just cut it like that one. And the Madd 170. Yowza!!

It is my wish to reconnect with Kress and go riding for I reckon him and some other cool gal was there on my last time of riding alpine which I got wiped out and knocked out at Keystone. -wince- 

• Like 1

Over on the old BOL forum I was known as oldvolvosrule but it has been a few years since I have checked in on here.  I relocated to Boise from SoCal where we had a nice contingent of carvers.  I switched from riding the carving boards to riding the shaped skis for the last 10 years but looking to jump back on the carving board this year at Bogus and also Pomerelle, perhaps Sun Valley once or twice.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:24 PM, AaronG said:

Over on the old BOL forum I was known as oldvolvosrule

All BOL accounts were migrated here.   I will merge oldvolvosrule and AaronG so all your posts are in one.  Which one would you like to keep going forward?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

All BOL accounts were migrated here.   I will merge so all your posts are in one

Yea...me to!  I was on BOL way before 2009 but somehow my old user name/account got skyjacked into the either realm.  Fin reincarnated me as barryj.

I don't remember the original moniker....BJBusa  ?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

All BOL accounts were migrated here.   I will merge oldvolvosrule and AaronG so all your posts are in one.  Which one would you like to keep going forward?

Jack M,  since I got out of the Volvo game when I moved up here if you could use the AaronG account that would be great

• Like 1

14 hours ago, barryj said:

Yea...me to!  I was on BOL way before 2009 but somehow my old user name/account got skyjacked into the either realm.  Fin reincarnated me as barryj.

I don't remember the original moniker....BJBusa  ?? 

Sorry, I don't see it.

11 hours ago, AaronG said:

Jack M,  since I got out of the Volvo game when I moved up here if you could use the AaronG account that would be great

Thanks, I've started this process, it takes a little time.

• Like 2

I also was  there on the original BOL forum, not sure what the account name was but probably also TimW. But I had no idea what the login was I used back then, so I just created a new account when I got back.

I never stopped hardbooting. Just skipped maybe one or two seasons on snow when the kids were born,  and skipped many seasons online (something like 2007-2017).  Also did part time skiing when the kids were small (I expected to like skiing after 20 years without, but that was a big disappointment).

2018 I started building my own boards again, and that re-ignited the passion (along with the kids being able to keep up).

Edited by TimW
  • Like 1

Whippersnappers, if you weren't in rec.skiing.snowboard.

Being able to get trans-Atlantic snow reports from real people (as opposed to tour companies) was a game changer; rec.skiing.alpine however showed that other less pleasant games were also being changed.

I never stopped using good boots, just got a lot of practice in.

• Like 1

By the late 1990s we were still all using full names in an open public system... a lot's changed. Google's standard search seems to omit old usenet, which I guess is a tiny volume of mostly irrelevant data anyway. I was vaguely wondering what my 1st ever internet post was, but I can't find it there. 

Looks like it's now swamped with spam.