Note to New Members ×

OT: Movie Rental Recommendations

Jack M

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels was brilliant, although my Canadian other half had some trouble deciphering the Queens' English....

Jeremiah, I have Princess Bride at home to watch this weekend. What is it about guys and this movie? They all love it! And I'm with you on the South Park movie too (Kyle's mum's a b***h ...)

D-Sub, I'm impressed that you've seen Once Were Warriors. Have you seen Whale Rider?

I don't see a lot of movies, but we rented "Eurotrip" from a nearly empty video store a while ago, and it was the funniest thing I've seen in years. Especailly with the ending scenes in the Vatican ... (The Pope is dead!)

And one of my all time faves, and how Peter Jackson got his start ... "Bad Taste". The demise of the sheep is some of the best cinema ever.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Haven't seen Once Were Warriors, but I loved Whale Rider.

Once were Warriors was good-in fact, I couldn't help thinking of the movie when I watched Star Wars 2, as Boba Fett's daddy was the boozin' dad in Once were Warriors....

You can occasionally catch it on IFC...

As for great summer flicks, I again vote for Bull Durham.

Raising Arizona is great, too...

As for Kevin Smith, his wife was in Jay and Silent Bob-so that movie is probably his favorite of all his movies;)

Anything by Tarentino-I realized that he and I had similar movie experiences growing up-Chop-socky, blaxploitation, spagetti westerns...

I even recognized the theme to Emergency-the old TV show of the early 70's-in Kill Bill

Bottle Rocket is great - stars Owen and Luke Wilson prior to much fame. Follows that goofball genre, like Napolean dynamite. Royal tannenbaums is pretty good too.

Recently saw Sean of the Dead, and it was funny. Spoof on the zombies in Dawn of the dead (duh).

Gotta second someone's recommends for:

Station agent

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Harold and Maude

________

Impreza Wrx Sti

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle - saw it last night - great for a laugh

Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas - absolute cult classic

Dogtown and Z-Boys - even if you never skateboarder - amazing (even my wife liked it)

In the Name of the Father - fantastic and shows you how screwed up the legal and political system are

Citizen Kane - if you have not seen it - you must.

Just my 2 cents

Rob

Bruce Campell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK its rediculous but great and worth seeing

Any Kubrick movie is worth seeing 2001 and Barry Lyndon were visually two of the best movies ever made

if you want to step into geekdom rent THX 1138 the first George Lucas film, there were allot of weird sound effects including the light saber sound and was a interesting 70s sci fi flick

Trainspotting is a good movie about the junkie life in 80s era UK

Someone mentioned going to see Sin City, I do too in particular if you have seen any of the comics it was adapted very well.

Pi the first Aronofsky film its about a guy trying to find a patern in the stock market he is going insane, everyone wants what he knows including some crazy jews with guns and he has migraine headaches

Being a corporate engineer type employee watching many office politics, antics, empire builders, incompetent employees, bureaucracy and a** hole type presidents I have to favor the movie “Office Space” as one of my favorites. It is a Great movie about life in the corporate world. Very funny especially the second time around. “Yea! I’m going go ahead and have to ask you to watch it”!

:D

Originally posted by ARCrider

anybody seen The Lathe of Heaven? Its been years since I saw it(many years, winter of '81 on a ski trip to Aspen)

Yes! This move was pretty intense! I also saw it years ago, and it's stuck in my mind ever since. It's based on the book by Ursula K. LeGuin...don't know if it's available on NetFlix or anywhere else?

Scott

Okay...here is the master BOL MOVIE LIST so far. I spent 10 minutes and consolidated all recommendations (alphabetized!)into a single list. The "A" list are movies which received multiple recommendations (2 or more). (Note---some movies had "The" removed from titles for alphabetization.) Now get the heck away from the TV and read a book! :)

Scott

THE "A" LIST

Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner)

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Harold and Maude

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Napolean Dynamite

Once Were Warriors

Princess Bride

Sideways

Sin City

Snatch!

South Park-Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Station Agent

Usual Suspects

Whale Rider

Y Tu Mama Tambien

THE "B" LIST

A Brief History of Time

A Mighty Wind

American Pie

American Splendor

Amores Perros

Anchorman

Animal House

Bad Taste

Best in Show

Big Bad Love

Big Lebowski

Blue Velvet

Boondock Saints

Bottle Rocket

Bound

Bull Durham

Cannibal the Musical

Chasing Amy

Chopper

Citizen Kane

Clerks

Dave

Dead Man

Dodgeball

Dogma

Dogtown and Z-Boys

Down By Law

Equilibrium

Eurotrip

Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control

Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas

Fever Pitch

Finding Neverland

Fog of War

Garden State

Glengarry, Glen Ross

Goodfellas

Happy Gilmore

House of Games

Hurly Burly

In the Name of the Father

Incredibles

Jesus's Son

Kill Bill

Lathe of Heaven

Lost in Translation

Mallrats

Motorcycle Diaries

Mr. Death

Office Space

Out of Sight

Over the Edge

Pi

Pool Hall Junkies

Raising Arizona

Ray

Repo Man

Royal Tannenbaums

Saw

Sean of the Dead

Shawshank Redemption

Supersize Me

Swimming With Sharks

Thin Blue Line

This is Spinal Tap

THX 1138

Trainspotting

Usual Suspects

Waiting for Guffman

What's Up Doc?

I saw Lathe in about 1981 too, when I was about nine. I don't remember it well, but I remember thinking it was really cool. Ditto for the book, which I read shortly after. But anyhow:

Tank Girl

5th Element

Road Warrior & Mad Max (not Thunderdome)

Strange Days

Robocop (just the first one)

Aliens (just the second one)

Matrix (just the first one)

Tron

...and the not sci-fi:

Winged Migration (breathtaking)

Bound

Manchurian Candidate (both versions)

Memento (best movie ever)

Neverending Story

Close Encounters

Hellraiser (only the first one)

Dark Crystal

Seventh Sign

Princess Bride

any Monty Python

most Jackie Chan

What Days May Come (and any Robin Williams except Get Smoochy, which sucked)

And the Hal Hartley flicks about the girl and the monster, and about the second coming. Can't remember the titles of either of them, but both were great.

Napoleon Dynamite did nothing for me though. My girlfriend loved it, rented it again for my sake, and I want those 90 minutes of my life back. Now I get to make her watch Poltergeist, which I've been trying to get her to see for a long time.

I hear there's an Ender's Game in the works. That could be awesome, or terribly disappointing. It's one of my favorite books.

Haven't seen Used Cars, but that reminds me of another great indy flick - <b>Suckers</b>, about car salesmen. Starring Daniel Denzali - that bald-headed dude that played a detective on tv 10 years ago or so. May be hard to find but well worth it. Rated R for language and brief violence. I wouldn't be surprised if Used Cars was the Big Hollywood rip-off of Suckers.

<b>Nate</b> - I want you to think hard before you subject your s.o. to Poltergeist!! I don't know how I would handle seeing that movie for the first time now, but I saw it when I was like 10 and I didn't sleep for weeks!! Effed me up big time!

Guest Tim Tuthill

Don't know about that Jack, but This has been a cult flim for a long time. Get it, you will laugh your butt off!! Oh, watch it a few times to get all the dialoge.

I like a lot of those on the "B" list, too. Consider the following recommendations strongly seconded by me (I left out the ones I would only mildly recommend, but there were no movies on the list that I've seen and disliked):

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Princess Bride

Snatch!

South Park-Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Usual Suspects

Whale Rider

A Mighty Wind

Animal House

Best in Show

Big Lebowski

Blue Velvet

Bound