Note to New Members ×

OT: Movie Rental Recommendations

Jack M

Boards are away for the summer, so let fly with the OT posts!

I'll start: <b>Napolean Dynamite</b>. Hard to describe, but wicked good. It's about a socially inept highschool weirdo/nerd/outcast and his bizarre existence. Makes you laugh by its sheer weirdness, not because it's trying to be funny. No further explanation necessary, just rent it. Trust me. And if you haven't heard of this movie, it's a sign that you're simply uncool and out of touch.

:D

What else?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Randy S.

Things from my recent Netflix return list that I liked:

Finding Neverland - surprisingly good - not for kids

Clerks - warped funny stuff

Ray - Long but good

Glengarry, Glen Ross - one of my all time favorite movies - amazing cast

The Usual Suspects - another great with Kevin Spacey

The Shawshank Redemption - great if you've never seen it

American Pie - A new classic

Any Season of 24 that you haven't seen

Happy Gilmore - Have I mentioned that my mom threw Adam Sandler out of Hebrew School?

If you liked Clerks, rent Chasing Amy or Dogma. Skip the other two (Mallrats, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back).

If you liked The Usual Suspects, you might like Bound. I also recommend Out of Sight to anyone who will listen.

The first season of 24 was far and away the best, but I'm still watching. The first two seasons of Alias are also well worth your time. The first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer contain some of the best tv, ever.

I'll start: Napolean Dynamite. Hard to describe, but wicked good.

DITTO!!! Having spent 6 years in S.E. Idaho, and also having a couple teen-agers and teen-age nephews, etc. gives this movie some great hits near home!! It seems to me that if you can't find some similarities to someone you know, including yourself, in this movie, you're taking it way too seriously!!

:rolleyes:

Two films that I've heard a lot about and didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised:

In theaters now....Fever Pitch

On video....Anchorman

I laughed my arse off through both films!

Napolean Dynamite is classic! If you enjoyed the defunct series "Freaks and Geeks", you'll love Napolean!!!

Jack - you have to see this to believe it. check out this link: http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/HCR029.html#daily

It's an honest-to-god bill in the Idaho state house commending the producers and the city of Preston, ID for creating the movie. It's hysterical.

The bill which passed by a vote of 69-0-1 includes the following:

WHEREAS, any members of the House of Representatives or the Senate of the Legislature of the State of Idaho who choose to vote "Nay" on this concurrent resolution are "FREAKIN' IDIOTS!" and run the risk of having the "Worst Day of Their Lives!"

My wife hated it. I liked it so much I went to Yahoo Movies online and posted a glowing review.

Has anyone else spent any length of time in good ol' Idaho??

The bill which passed by a vote of 69-0-1 includes the following: WHEREAS, any members of the House of Representatives or the Senate of the Legislature of the State of Idaho who choose to vote "Nay" on this concurrent resolution are "FREAKIN' IDIOTS!" and run the risk of having the "Worst Day of Their Lives!"

Gotta love it!!

Sayings I brought back from ID:

If you don't like the weather,.....wait 5 minutes, it'll change.

...from the steward/ess when you fly in to S.E. ID: "Welcome to Idaho, please enjoy your visit, be careful as you step from the plane, and please remember to set your watch back 10 years."

Q: Why does it blow so much in Idaho??

A: 'Cause Utah sucks!!

(I was born in UT :rolleyes: )

Idaho has two seasons: Winter....................

and July!!

etc. :)

Originally posted by boostertwo

A personal favorite is Errol Morris' Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control.

Links to Reviews

Oh man! I thought I was the only one alive who knew about and loved that documentary! Right on! :) That is a GREAT piece on 4 CLASSIC people...(the naked mole rat guy is a riot!)

Erol Morris' other docs are all fantastic...

"A Brief History of Time"

"Mr. Death"

"The Thin Blue Line"

I haven't seen "The Fog of War" yet, but I want to check it out too...

Scott

...definitely check out one of the most awesome films I've seen in a while:

Atanarjuat (The Fast Runner)

This is an incredible movie, shot entirely on location north of the Arctic Circle with a cast of 100% authentic, full-blood Inuit. It's fiction, but at the same time a completely unvarnished look at how the Inuit have lived for thousands of years (and some still do today).

The film was shot on digital video, and is beautiful...every snow crystal, every spatter of seal blood, every flicker of the oil lamps stands out vividly. It's a great story too.

Beautiful!

Scott

PS - Here's a link to a gallery of scenes from the movie.

If you want a Californnia wineryy tour with ann couple of mismatched oddcouple old college freinds,rent SIDEWAYS.

If you feel in a thoughtfull reflective mood rent or read "Shoes of the Fisherman" a great and still relevant (especiallyy now) storyy by Morris West.

Dont forget your weekly dose of HOMER! Simpson that is, Americas greatist living existential philosopher ...Or pick up "the DOH of HOMER", i got it att he Pennstate on campus bookstore, statecollege, pa.......:cool:

Harold and Kumar is classic. The scene with the Princeton Korean club cracked me up.

And if you liked Napoleon Dynamite or Sideways, rent American Splendor.

Right now, I'm on a Jackie Chan kick (pun intended). I think I've seen 8 JC movies in the last month. So far, his best is Legend of Drunken Master followed by Rush Hour 2.

This movie is about 15 years old I think, but it is the best con-man movie I've ever seen. Really great. Very smart and very little violence or swearing (iirc, it's been a while). Totally sucks you in. It stars the grossly underrated Joe Mantegna, and a bunch of talented unknowns.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Dude. Mallrats was so better than Dogma. Dogma was too much like a real movie.

Mallrats was one of the best of their flicks!

Also a good flick out recently was Kinsey, humorous and somewhat enlightening.

Guest jeremiah

I love House Resolution No. 29! As an Idaho semi-native (actually born in Berkeley in 1968, but grew up in Idaho) I'm glad to see that the Statehouse has something of a sense of humor.

<political rant>

Unfortunately the state has switched from a progressive, environmentally aware, semi-libertarian, live-and-let-live state to basically the most reactionary religiously and socially conservative state in the Union. Moreso even than Utah. I still haven't figured out how the politicians convinced people who lived their lives outdoors enjoying the natural beauty that public lands were some commie plot, but they have.

</political rant>

That being said, I've been rocking my 'Ski the Great Potato Idaho' shirt all season and watching Napolean Dynamite brought on homesickness like I haven't had since I smelled sagebrush coming home from my first semester of college.

Now to bring this slightly back to snowboarding, I knew folks in high school who used to ski the sand dunes in the summer, and I've heard that there is a fairly regular bunch who snowboards on them now.

Back on topic.... Of the movies that have been recommended, I can't say enough about Sideways as a literate, moving, and just laugh-out-loud funny movie (the best part were the two women in their 80s sitting next to me about to piss their pants laughing during the wallet retrieval scene), but Fast Runner is probably the movie that most exceeded my expectations in the past several years. I was lucky enough to see it on a great screen, so all the different shades of white were noticable, not sure if it would be the same on a 27" screen, but definately a great movie.

One I haven't seen recommended is Dogtown & Z-boys, a must see for any boardsports enthusiast. It's basically the video record of the birth of modern skateboarding, kind of like if Jake Burton and Todd Simms had a semi-pro filmmaker with them as they were riding their first boards.

Finally, my two favorite movies to watch over and over again are The Princess Bride and South Park-Bigger, Longer, & Uncut. Both all-time classics, but very, very different. I'm sure that almost everyone has seen Princess Bride, but quite a few people seem to have written off SP-BLU as sophomoric potty humor. It IS sophomoric potty humor, but in the best Mel Brooks way. Plus it's a musical!

Jeremiah

shut your f*ckin' face uncle f*cker!

Re: Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. This is one the child bride and I could agree on. We both liked it!

Of all the old cult classics, my favorite is Harold and Maude.

For pure sappiness, check out Kevin Kline in Dave.

For a revival of the old screwball comedies, see Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal in What's Up Doc?

_____

Shifting back to Idaho - sorry to hear the political landscape is shifting as described. We were contemplating retiring in Sandpoint.

Snatch!

Make sure you watch it twice so you can decipher Bradd Pitt's gypsy talk!

The Usual Suspects and Goodfellas are up there on my all time favorites....

I recently watched Saw and it was pretty good but I didn't think it was as scary as everybody made it out to be. Great ending! Snuggle up with your significant other and watch this one. :D

I use Blockbuster Online and it's been good so far. I'd recommend it if your looking at the "mail in" video rental service. Plus they give you two free local rentals a month so you can rent those Xbox games you've been dying to play!