Note to New Members ×

OT: Movie Rental Recommendations

Jack M

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aafter cutting up all the fallen trees after the early spring two foot snowfall.......lay on the couch and watch......

what else.....

Monty Python and the Holy Grail......

Caddy Shack......

Simpsons.....the 4th Season

Fantasia #1 & #2.

Canadian Bacon

Matrix #1.

Big Lebowski

The Pink Panther series.....

Left Behind

(now available in the el cheapo Sprawlmart $5.00 bin)

:cool:

Guest jeremiah

Since I see several Monty Python fans here I should put in a great big recommendation for SpamALot, the new Broadway musical. Python fans will be ecstatic, and neophytes will truly appreciate the brilliance of Python. My wife who never understood Python before and was not excited about attending absolutely loved it, both as a Broadway musical and as just a brilliantly funny show. Tickets are pretty much sold out through August at least, but if you buy them now, you should be able to see it about the time you finish working your way through the BOL MovieList.

I was lucky and bought tickets as soon as I saw it was in previews in Chicago, so saw it the first week. I feel like I'm a member of the New York Cultural Elite now, not bad for a former spud.

Jeremiah

Lathe of heaven is available on netflix and I put it in my queue as well as "bottle rocket" and "fast cheap and out of control" and "Napolean Dynamite" Being a 3rd generation eastern Idahoan hopefully I will enjoy it.

Still trying to figure out what the title was for the monster on the island flick.

I agree with many of the selections on both A and B list

As far as classic movies two of my favorites are "being there" and repo man.

I also really liked "American Beauty"

In TV land I am just getting into "Deadwood" And the first season of 24. I also really enjoyed the office" 1st season is better than the second.

Has anyone seen bad education? if you are a gael garcia fan.

Originally posted by NateW

Aliens (just the second one)

You didn't like the first one? It's the best of the series!

I hear there's an Ender's Game in the works. That could be awesome, or terribly disappointing. It's one of my favorite books.

Smart money is on "terribly disappointing", as it is for the upcoming live action "Transformers" movie (Michael "Pearl Harbor" Bay attached)

28 Days Later has not been mentioned yet. If I stop to consider how many of these movies I have seen and the time involved in watching them, it boggles the mind. I dig the foreign films and alot of the southern Aussie and New Zealand genre are very thought provoking. Wacky offbeat is always good but I think I am going to have to print this out for a reference. Actually, I seem to have lost track of the number of times I have seen Animal House....If I could only get that time back........

Okay, how many people missed the wedding scene at the end?

------

I like Bill Murray, but <b>What About Bob</b> is one of the worst movies ever. I actually turned it off half way. Stupid, stupid movie. I don't like movies where the conflict is totally contrived - i.e., no normal person would allow themselves to get in such a predicament, or, the entire conflict could be solved with one simple act of intelligence or honesty (hmm, <b>Meet The Parents</b> comes to mind). In Bob, No shrink would allow his vacation to be ruined like that.

-------

Just watched <b>Sideways</b> last weekend. I enjoyed it a lot and the movie is very well made and well acted, but I'm sorry it is NOT a comedy! The poster in the movie store said "one of the best comedies of the year!" Huh? The last 10 minutes are laugh out loud funny, sure, but the rest of it is pretty depressing. Unless you delight in other people's midlife crises. Sometimes a midlife crisis can be portrayed in a self-deprecating funny way, but I didn't see much of that here, I thought it was sad.

With all the money you guys seem to spend on movies why not just buy yourself a plane ticket to Portillo or Las Lenas and carve all summer, too!

(I really wish I could)

That being said, I think I'll just torture myself with classic movies like:

Snowboarders in exile

Critical Condition

Totally Board 1-2

Amelie - It's like a movie that makes you feel good without being a "feel-good movie" (i.e. it's not cloyingly sickly sweet).

Iron Monkey - Ninjas. It's like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon without the talking. The subtitled US edit is actually far superior to the original HK version, amazingly enough.

HEY YOU GUYS...Im so proud..you guys sound so cultured and artsy.....but check out this new tv show called "OFFICE".ITS ON HERE IN ERIE ON TUESDAY NITES AT 9:00 or 9:30. Its so good it reminds me of where I work.Polish PrintingCompany.It takes place in Scranton PA.Ex miniing/mill town with all the attitude that carries.(been to the top now heading down the other side) Its probably getting cancelled so catcha couple of shows before they take it off.Its so funny but no laugh track to tell you when to laugh.And they speak right into the camera which is a cinematic no-no usually.Its so good at times it makes me feel un-easy.The boss is such a greasy creap-a-zoid.Watch and listen closely as it all happens fast and then you cant believe what was said.......we just got 6 inches of wet stuff .thankfully no more trees came down....lake effect, yay for global warming it actually intensifies our snow machine here in erie, anybody spare a couple of sheer pins.Im all out.snowblower wont blow no mo....:D

Someone may have already mentioned Shaun of the Dead but I'll suggest it anyhow. We watched it last night on Entertainment On Demand.

The child bride normally doesn't warm up this kind of humor but she was rolling over laughing.

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but "A Fish Called Wanda" has gotta be one of the funniest. My sides hurt after watching. Kevin Kline was outstanding.

I thought that was pretty funny but "Life of Brian" is still the best Python movie IMNSHO.

However the hardest I ever laughed in my life was when I saw "Animal House" at the theatre. Must have been something about being a hard-drinking college student at the time. My face hurt from smiling so hard when I wasn't outright howling. John Belushi could bowl you over with just an eyebrow.

Originally posted by tahoetrencher

Longtime lurker- first time poster. Been too busy trenchin'. Have I missed it or has noone mentioned "Riding Giants" ? If you spent time on the soul-surfing metaphor then this one is an absolute must. Lots of pre-Gigi North Shore. Don't rent it- Buy it. Gotta go. 4 days left on my mountain.

That movie rocks! along with dogtown and z boys and step into liquid. The last wave that laird tows into in riding giants is just plain sick