Note to New Members ×

Sidewall repair on a Coiler

Jarcode

Thanks to an out-of-control snowboarder who snow plowed right into my board while I was doing a heel side turn, I have a fairly concerning gash in the sidewall of my 165cm Coiler AM VSR. I'm wondering if/how I should repair this (epoxy?)

It seems like all the materials are nicely adhered together still, Bruce clearly made these boards to last, I'm just concerned about moisture getting in since a substantial portion of the topsheet got chipped off.

gash.jpg

From the photo it seems that you 'just' lost some sidewall and topsheet. Laminate and bonding of the sidewall/edges seem ok, and woodcore not exposed. If so, it is basically cosmetic damage, and you do not need to worry about moisture. 

@TimW Yeah, the core isn't exposed, but there's a very thin layer of black material exposed from under the topsheet. I figure leaving that exposed is a problem, not sure if moisture can seep through that...

It's a shame since I got this board out from storage in near-pristine condition, and I plan to keep this as my stick for crowded runs and off-piste use. Oh well, at least it was cheap.

Bruce hates these calls unless you want to order a new board. You would not want to pay two way shipping for something you can fix yourself. You can mix a bit of epoxy, board on  side tape over top sheet and fill void sand away excess voila fixed. If you want to get fancy you can add pigment to epoxy white for sidewall black for top. Fix the sidewall then carve out the thin pencil edge tape the side wall and with board flat do the top sheet damage in black. Easy ! 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

If you don't want to do what lowrider suggested, any ski shop can do this for not much money. This is just a cosmetic repair, but I'd also like the peace of mind of sealing a jagged edge. 

that's a deep gouge. I would definitely fill that void

Looks like top sheet has lifted a bit as well. 

Edited by snowburn

Ouch!   To produce that much of a gash must of been quite a jolt!   Glad you didn't report any broken bones and hope you don't have any bruises to match!

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

With that type of damage, the most important thing is to stop the titanal from delaminating. File away all the lifting metal and taper/slant the edge of the remaining. Then treat with

Yeah, what BB says is what I'd do......or a shop could do it for $100   

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Ouch!   To produce that much of a gash must of been quite a jolt!   Glad you didn't report any broken bones and hope you don't have any bruises to match!

Yeah, what BB says is what I'd do......or a shop could do it for $100   

Believe it or not, I actually held my edge and just continued through the turn. The board soaked up most of the impact, and when I looked uphill I just saw the other guy doing a cartwheel.

Perhaps it's some hidden feature of Coilers... impact dampening?

I'll probably attempt a repair myself later. I have a new board coming in this Friday anyways, wanted something better suited to my weight and closer to a GS board.