Note to New Members ×

Intec heels lifespan

Carvin' Marvin

That's a great question. There's a lot of plastic in there.  I had 6-7 seasons on a set without issue, but I always travelled with a spare set.  I worried more about the cable breaking than an auto-release.  Even if that cantilever thingie fails, which seems through non-engineer eyes to be the next weak link, the springs keep the springs engaged.  I've since Fintec'd, but still travel with a spare set of Intecs.  They're only what hundy?  Seems like a normal wear-n-tear item.  Cheap enough to replace every season or two.  Is there a rebuild kit out there?

• Like 1

Mine have about five seasons on them.  I'm heavy and relatively strong so I'm more worried about the plastic case more than anything.  This is my first pair so I kind of forgot what a new pair feels like.  Hopefully I will see you at Loveland tomorrow and you can tell me what you think!  The only thing that scares me away from the fintecs in their notorious slipperiness.  We have to do a lot of village walking round these parts.

But yeah, its cheap insurance compared to the other investments in this sport.

I would way rather stop and get gas, than worry for the next hour about making it to the next gas station, especially when you are flying.  

Slipping while walking is a minor injury compared to a twisting-rotating single boot release.  I like big chunks of metal holding my feet to boards.  

That being said, You are a very dynamic and powerful rider.  The intec heels are obviously very tough!

• Thanks 1

With Intec heels i used to switch them after one or two seasons due wear on plastic. When pins get more angle due plastic wear there is greater change to get them to break plastic part. Now with Fintecs and after changing those plastic "bearings" to metal ones, i've been on them since they were sold first time 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pokkis said:

With Intec heels i used to switch them after one or two seasons due wear on plastic. When pins get more angle due plastic wear there is greater change to get them to break plastic part. Now with Fintecs and after changing those plastic "bearings" to metal ones, i've been on them since they were sold first time 🙂

Just checked and i got my Fin-Tec heels 2008

• Like 2

The stationary pins wear from friction on the receiver ramps. I got about a third of the way through the diameter before I put new ones in. 

The plastic bushings that the big retracting pins can break over time too, letting the pins wobble in their bores. This can be seen from the outside. 

And of course the plastic arms and cables can break if you just yank the handle without putting a little heel pressure in to unload the big pins. If it pops as you pull the handle, you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

The only thing that scares me away from the fintecs in their notorious slipperiness.  We have to do a lot of village walking round these parts.

I switched back to Intecs and they are definitely less slippery.  The main thing for me was the metal body conducts cold so I got a lot more icing under the heel which wasn't helping me get a positive step in - deicing was negating step-in convenience.

The cables are definitely weaker but I've seen some OLD intecs and mine have lasted.  I do change cables - but not cheap!   Rider weight (and frequency of use) may be the biggest issue for mechanical longevity