Note to New Members ×

Early season conditions

JohnE

On 12/3/2021 at 8:55 PM, Odd Job said:

I think I just euthanized a board today to the rock gods. I found that lone terminal stone in the middle of a groomed run.

Oh well. Conditions are still great. Just crank it over and go. Keystone likely has the best coverage, but isn't really ridable weekends. Copper, I don't know. ABasin is a ghost resort during all days.

"Conditions are still great"? It's great that you are enjoying yourself - but that is different from great conditions. Great compared to what? I have photos of myself from long ago skiing the week of Thanksgiving in powder. 

Even when conditions are marginal resorts often hype the conditions. When they're not saying anything you know the conditions must be bad. 

🤨 I'll offer an honest eastcoaster's opinion on quality at Copper in a couple of days.  Though it appears there will be some snow today and a more appreciable event later in the week.  Come to my neck of the woods if you would like to experience "marginal".  I do like the idea of A-Basin as ghost town. That may change some plans...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kneel said:

🤨 I'll offer an honest eastcoaster's opinion on quality at Copper in a couple of days.  Though it appears there will be some snow today and a more appreciable event later in the week.  Come to my neck of the woods if you would like to experience "marginal".  I do like the idea of A-Basin as ghost town. That may change some plans...

I don't care how hard the snow is, I just don't want to sacrifice any more boards to the rock gods.

10 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Lake Louise has 50 cm of fresh this week, all lifts/runs open. Will be there tomorrow. 

Let me know what it's like. I'm going to drag the gear out of the storage locker this weekend, and maybe go pick up my Sunshine card.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:16 PM, Odd Job said:

I don't care how hard the snow is, I just don't want to sacrifice any more boards to the rock gods.

How bad is the damage? I got a few knickers I'm not happy about on my Thirst yesterday at Vail.  Before it was easier to predict where they'd pop up but now it looks like little pebbles are being brought up to the surface by the groomers.  Things will hopefully be much better after this storm.

1 hour ago, Allee said:

Let me know what it's like. I'm going to drag the gear out of the storage locker this weekend, and maybe go pick up my Sunshine card.

We’ll be at Sunshine on Saturday. Picked up some Costco tix so we’re locked in at a day each this trip. I’m only bringing the softies this time. 

3 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

How bad is the damage? I got a few knickers I'm not happy about on my Thirst yesterday at Vail.  Before it was easier to predict where they'd pop up but now it looks like little pebbles are being brought up to the surface by the groomers.  Things will hopefully be much better after this storm.

I hit a rock that managed to grab/release many times on the ptex; it pulled the ptex from the core without gouging it. No edge hit either; I hit it mid carve base-only. Not that bad I guess; it has been added to my rock board lineup now.

Just bought two SG snowboards; those will not be rock boards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was 6" of snow here this morning at Copper.  No more bitching. I have Thirst's and an SG with me.  It's fine.  Just ride. 🤨  The only thing missing here is stronger, faster acting Motrin. That first ride of the season is brutal...

IMG_1214_s.jpg.12cf465de0286a915e6919275ca0831e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah I'm sure. 🤨   Coverage is pretty good everywhere.  Well in all honesty there are some spots that by noon time looked like they should be avoided, but not a surprise when everyone is on the same 14 or so trails.  A lot of grooming going on today so maybe that number will go up tomorrow.  I'll be out at first lift...on my SG rock board...if I can move. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kneel said:

Yeah I'm sure. 🤨   Coverage is pretty good everywhere.  Well in all honesty there are some spots that by noon time looked like they should be avoided, but not a surprise when everyone is on the same 14 or so trails.  A lot of grooming going on today so maybe that number will go up tomorrow.  I'll be out at first lift...on my SG rock board...if I can move. 👍

Stop by the Lululemon store and get your yoga on. j/k

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:17 AM, Allee said:

Let me know what it's like. 

Louise had good cover, hard pack, not much ice, very occasional rock in bump troughs. Pretty decent early season for the lake. 

Sunshine has great conditions unfortunately blizzarding  today. They closed Angel and Divide due to wind. Donnagail wasn’t having it, we left early. You should take a day off and go tomorrow, it will be fantastic.