Note to New Members ×

Early season conditions

JohnE

Is there any area of the Northern Hemisphere that has good early season conditions? 

It pretty much sucks in Colorado. Denver hasn't had any significant precipitation since June. It's been in the high 60s & low 70s here (almost every day). I went bike riding in shorts last weekend. Very little snow in the Colorado Rockies and it has been too warm for many areas to make much snow. I read that in Steamboat they normally have 200 hours of snowmaking by Thanksgiving. This season they have only had 8 hours.

Is it any better anyplace else? 

Soft and deep on the upper chairs in Revy today, fade to brown as you download the gondola back the village, fifty six hundred and twenty vertical feet lower...

They're claiming a sixty eight inch settled base in the alpine and I no saw no reason to doubt that.  Good to go!  No rock boards necessary.

It feels so great to be riding again, I can't stop smiling...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TLN said:

Is it that bad though? Asking from Chicago 

If you're looking for pow, yes, if you just want to make some groomer turns, it's a little lacking in variety, but doable.  I think I have 7 days in at this point, I already lost count even though I still have 10 toes yet to use...

It's kind of a typical early season, and I haven't needed a rock board

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

Soft and deep on the upper chairs in Revy today, fade to brown as you download the gondola back the village, fifty six hundred and twenty vertical feet lower...

They're claiming a sixty eight inch settled base in the alpine and I no saw no reason to doubt that.  Good to go!  No rock boards necessary.

It feels so great to be riding again, I can't stop smiling...

I can see your smile from here. 😀

Awesome! 

howdy

can't deny the weather pattern is not the same... the proof is in the pudding... the Revy is in the cross hairs of the pineapple express... we here in MT is just south of the pineapple express and is receiving the warm pacific air... I hope it shifts south in a few days... it is not looking good here at the Big...

spacer.png

Whitewater in BC slated to open on Dec 10th. Son indicated backcountry sledding is off to a good start but avalanche threat is very high. Local bump in Ontario has been making snow for past week but heading into a warm spell. Tremblant looking pretty good for season start and Lake Louise held mens world cup last weekend. 

Loveland has the advantage of elevation. The base is about 10,000'. This allows them to make snow when lower areas can't because it's too warm. I think there is very little natural snow. 

Around here when conditions are fair to great they hype it like crazy. When conditions are poor they keep quiet. It's been pretty quiet lately. 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, Odd Job said:

The groomers are great in CO.

Yeah, all six of them!  

CO is definitely in a "better than nothing" pattern right now. 

Can you ride? Yes. 

Is it great? Strongly open to interpretation.

Edit: 6 runs in the whole state is obviously and lowball exaggeration.  I'm sure there's at least 7 open by now.

• Haha 2

the inland NW is getting hosed, and not in a good way the rivers are full and the mountains are bare.

t-shirt weather has helped me out after a giant birch crashed into my bedroom, no metal till tue. though. It can snow again after that!

december in north idaho

image.png.af527826709fea1bfdfbcd5f7f6c9d0b.png

Edited by b0ardski
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Yeah, all six of them!  

Can you ride? Yes. 

Edit: 6 runs in the whole state is obviously and lowball exaggeration.  I'm sure there's at least 7 open by now.

I think I just euthanized a board today to the rock gods. I found that lone terminal stone in the middle of a groomed run.

Oh well. Conditions are still great. Just crank it over and go. Keystone likely has the best coverage, but isn't really ridable weekends. Copper, I don't know. ABasin is a ghost resort during all days.

• Like 1

Multi  sport days here still in Tahoe...still doing bike riding most days.  Only Boreal is open and its just the lift the park rats ride.  It's a short white stripe on a brown hill at best!.....but I did go up to Boreal for a few gear adjustment shakedown runs (4) with the Swoard Dual for night skiing Thursday...it was dust on crust but served the purpose.

Thinking about unleashing the K168 with Donek Plate  at Boreal tomorrow evening to destroy some ice and watch the Park Rats scurry!!  :eplus2:

• Haha 2

What barryj said.  Son started ski team at Palisades (fka Squaw) today.  trained SL on stubbies.  They were hiking for 50 yards of snow under Red Dog chair (not spinning).  I spend 3 hours in locker playing with bindings on my 180 and 185 KSTs.  I'm still a 12 year old....

I have not been around here much--just busy (and skiing a lot (sorry)). 

Anyways, I hope all are well.  Good to see familiar names.  

PS - well done Odd Job.  So jealous.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:07 AM, Carvin' Marvin said:

Yeah, all six of them!  

Can you ride? Yes. 

You need to get through the pass, Keystone is in a great shape man.

• Like 2

Lovey just opened roulette and 6 for the season, and three will open tomorrow, that should put the state up to at least 9 runs...

I have to say, the groomers at the love have been doing an exceptional job at pounding the limited natural and manmade snow into submission, everything has been riding really well lately, though the lower off camber double fall line part of lower richards has had a few sharks pop up lately. Forecast for the coming week is looking good for some replenishment in the near future

Mario 

• Like 5