Note to New Members ×

No-Wait Lift Tickets?

Jack M

Anybody have experience with this?  I didn't even know such a thing existed.  It is rumored that my home mountain is considering offering these premium tickets.  I cannot fathom this working here. There are already so many people who get to cut the line - ski school, ski school weekend program, academy, academy weekend program, adaptive program, ski patrol, etc. And there are only 3 lifts that appeal to experts. It would only work (for the buyer of such a ticket) if they got to cut most of those people. This would further disgruntle the average customer and devalue their lift ticket. It would create even more resentment on a wind-hold day. Imagine those days when only one lift is running, getting lapped repeatedly by no-waiters while you shiver in line. Maybe, just maybe if they limited the number of no-wait tickets each day, and lowered the price of a regular ticket this might make sense. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

That said, if they offer a no-wait season pass I would strongly consider buying one just to make sure I wasn't on the losing side of the unfairness. As long as it's not stupid money.

Here in Utah Snowbird is offering a Fast Track pass for $69.00 on top of the price of a regular pass, you can also add it onto a season pass daily, so people can snake to the front of lines ahead of everyone else. Glad I don't ride there. As far as I know they are the only resort so far to offer this in Utah. Pretty lame in my opinion though. It's bad enough that Powder Mountain is offering and accepting Indy passes to clog up the mountain even more. But what can you do, Progess I guess.

Sounds like short term money thinking, long term bad user experience.  Eventually every one will buy these tickets and they are back to square 1.  I would imagine that most mountains make their profits on day tickets, this will drive that down.
👎👎👎

On 11/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Eboot said:

Eventually every one will buy these tickets and they are back to square 1

Considering Sugarloaf's early access (Sundays and a few vacation weekdays, 7am) is a $400 add-on to a gold season pass, I don't think everyone would be able to afford the premium I assume they would charge.  I'd guess $599 as a season pass add-on, $59 as a day ticket add-on.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Eboot said:

I would imagine that most mountains make their profits on day tickets, this will drive that down.

It would if it discouraged people from coming at all.  Although I would not be surprised if Sugarloaf makes more money on season passes than day tickets, considering all the real estate built up here, but I don't know.

• Like 1

Yea....  I see this as another way to raise the price. Simply put, no one will go to a mountain and pay "normal" price if they only get 6 runs in all day, and those who but the preferred pass will start to get snippy when they are again in a 300 person long line. 

This sounds good, but people tend to expect "special" benefits when they pay for them, and if they then don't get them, it just makes a long set of lines of people who are feeling gipped...  If they need more money, just raise the price and take the hit, as this will NOT help with long lines.....

11 hours ago, boardguru said:

Here in Utah Snowbird is offering a Fast Track pass for $69.00 on top of the price of a regular pass, you can also add it onto a season pass daily, so people can snake to the front of lines ahead of everyone else. Glad I don't ride there. As far as I know they are the only resort so far to offer this in Utah. Pretty lame in my opinion though. It's bad enough that Powder Mountain is offering and accepting IKON passes to clog up the mountain even more. But what can you do, Progess I guess.

That is a drag.  I've had a few epic days at Powder Mtn while visiting the States.  Absolutely loved the terrain and the vibe of the place: old school, no frills, skibumville.  Also loved the super-rickety 2-person lift with the slippery seat that felt like it had a slight incline downwards and outwards.  Best of all was the ratio of people to km^2 of the terrain.

Big Sky has now implemented a daily charge of $50 + or - depending on the day for access to the Tram.  You have to buy a Gold Season Pass for unlimited Tram Access.  What's more disturbing is that (from my understanding) Resort Workers will NOT HAVE ACCESSA  to the Tram unless they pay extra.  What Liftie can afford that.  That's all part of why you work at the resort.

Blame it on the IKON and MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE passes.  2 hours waits for the Tram on busy days, and way to long on slow days.

I opted out this year.  Getting a 6 day pass, no Saturdays, in exchange for a going to town day.