Note to New Members ×

Do short boards work for carving hard?

TimW

On 3/30/2021 at 7:47 PM, daveo said:

Speaking to Bruce lately about board lengths and he said anything under 162 then there isn't enough effective edge to support any meaningful carving (or racing). 

I just had a look at the Coiler website and it seems true that they really don't seem to cater well for short boards.

Other suppliers have this well covered though - Kessler for example.

16 hours ago, philw said:

I just had a look at the Coiler website and it seems true that they really don't seem to cater well for short boards.

The Kessler 150 and 156 are really youth/lightweight SL boards. Very soft. 

18 hours ago, philw said:

Take his website with a grain of salt.  The sizes listed are like historical averages.  Models too for that matter.  He'll talk you into a Contra anyway.  Just pick a radius and length.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daveo said:

Keep hearing good things about this contra

I love my 162 and 166 Contras for groomers but there is a hole in my quiver that needs to be filled by a short, fat, floaty board specifically for steep and deep in Jackson that will also carve on the groomed when needed. 

17 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

I love my 162 and 166 Contras for groomers but there is a hole in my quiver that needs to be filled by a short, fat, floaty board specifically for steep and deep in Jackson that will also carve on the groomed when needed. 

Tell me more about this chode of a board you have planned. I may want/need something similar!

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 1:49 AM, SunSurfer said:

PhilW hasn't posted here yet, but I'm pretty sure he would echo my recommendation to carve a Kessler KST 162 slalom race board HARD. Just make sure you've done some pre-season quads muscle and cardio-respiratory conditioning first.

Careful carving the Donek MK really hard. You'll come round so fast you'll kiss your own a**!

I’ve had a bunch of SL sticks, 162-168 are the sweet spot for me at 275 lb