Note to New Members ×

Summer Reading List?

pow4ever

i am not religious but started the exploration on that "glimpse of the perfection".
I think it's one of the reason why so many of us are attracted/addicted to the "perfect carve".  That momentarily/ephemeral glimpse of the divine/Nirvana/carve.  Alas it doesn't last but that's the meaning of it all; it's not suppose to last.

On Spirituality -  
i read the Bible from cover to cover <-- this is like 10+ books lol...
CS Lewis: mere christianity
Luke Burgis - Wanting: The Power of Mimetic Desire in Everyday Life
Susan Cain - Bitter Sweet
thinking of picking up reading the Koran; but Arabic is a tall hurdle.  Will have to settle for translated.
Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now
Michael A. Singer - The Untethered Soul

Geeky read:
Tony Fadell: Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making

not much summer fun read so far: i think i will focus on the fun read for the rest of this summer.
Andy Weir - Hail Mary.  Love it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully its not too late to get in some more summer reading, as I just got my book published.  

It is called Beating The Impossible and you can find it here:  www.donschwartz.ca

Any fine bookstore will be able to order it in for you as well.

It's a story of the my life in the snowboarding world, extreme sport, comebacks and a life with PTSD.

IMG_5536.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, Schwarty said:

Hopefully its not too late to get in some more summer reading, as I just got my book published.  

It is called Beating The Impossible and you can find it here:  www.donschwartz.ca

Any fine bookstore will be able to order it in for you as well.

It's a story of the my life in the snowboarding world, extreme sport, comebacks and a life with PTSD.

IMG_5536.jpeg

thank you for the recommendation!!  Last "sport" related book i read is Shoe Dog which i enjoyed.  I suspect i am predisposed to love this one. 

it deserved it's own topic 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm reading the Secrets of the Greatest Snow on Earth by Jim Steenburgh, great book to read while dreaming the powder day. 🤣🤣

Honest review !!! Great book, easy to read and teaches everything you need to know about snow science. 

20220928_224959.jpg

Edited by Pigbrogg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Neal Stephenson's Termination Shock is a good one and it includes a little bit of snowboarding.

This from the chapter called "The Barracks", for example, my colouring:

This was a pretty good board on pretty good powder—certainly an improvement on anything Laks had enjoyed at the crowded and waterlogged ski areas just outside of Vancouver.
... He pulled up well short, though, to give himself a few moments to kick out of his hard plastic boots— not a good fit with light-footed gatka movements. 

My reading choices are fairly random but I've finished these two most recently:

1- An intriguing mystery novel which had  quite a few unexpected surprises.

2-A testament about global warmings  vivid demise of the Boreal forest and it viral effect on planet earth.   An informative and worrisome page turner.

3- Next to read is the Pulitzer prize rendering of the Vietnam war and it's impact on Vietnamese immigrants   to America.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; always read a book when I fly and laughingly grabbed this old copy off the book shelf as I left the house for Florida.   I read it straight through. Samuel Clemons was a talented man.  

But then after I read it, my mind wandered to the Rush song, then to their song YYZ, then to the snowboard and gear dealer in Ontario of the same name where I buy stuff.  I smiled.  The connectivity of it all pleased me greatly.  

• 5 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, Eboot said:

I saw this when you posted, can’t believe I didn’t follow up

just downloaded it, in the backlog now 🙂

LOL! I bought it, read two chapters, abandoned it when an audiobook came into the library and never went back to it. It will probably be next January before I read it.

I preordered the last book in the Olivie Blake's Atlas trilogy for Jan 2024 too, that will probably suffer the same fate.

• Haha 1