Summer Reading List?

pow4ever

I'll add some:

Historical Fiction:

+Bernard Cornwall: Vikings, Napolianic War, the US Civil War, he's got it all and it is exciting and well researched

+Patrick O'Brian:  It's like Hornblower++, was really bummed to be finished with all of his books

Introspective, moody fiction:

+Cormac Macarthy: Just don't start with Blood Meridian (which is actually faaantaaastic and highly regarded) unless you want something pretty brutal.

+Patrick deWitt:  The Sisters Brothers (as the book) was a fantastic slightly surreal jaunt thru the old west.

Fantasy/Sci Fi

+Neil Gaiman:  super imaginitive and human stories, with very well crafted prose.

+ Hugh Howey:  Read the Wool books first.  OMG! Nothing has ever presented a post-apocalyptic mythos better than this (well, maybe Macarthy's The Road is better... Maybe)

!ark Lawrence: The Broken Empire series is unhinged, dark-funny, and has you rooting for the kinda bad guy.

• Like 1

Just plowed through all 14 books of the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire.  Super fun, very light.  Urban fantasy.  Speaking of which, finished the latest Dresden Files novel "Battle Ground" by Jim Butcher.  Another great urban fantasy series with consistent quality throughout. 

Re-read The Rook, by Daniel O'Malley.  This is another fantasy, super inventive and funny.  If you've seen the TV show and didn't like it, try the book.  They dropped the ball on the TV show big time, it feels nothing like the book.

Mexican Gothic by Sylvia Moreno-Garcia is just as the title suggests - gothic horror/romance with a Mexican flavour. It was excellent.

• Like 2

thank you eBoot, Neil and st_lupo for the recommendation!

This is awesome to get exposed to different genre/authors.
cross pollination of ideas have a multiplication factor.

my backlog is miles long and i love it.  now my eyes are getting old and tired lol

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to reading Ninth House, ordered and waiting.

Also rereading Dune after 15 years, current movie release tweaked my interest again.  Amazing that this series was written in the 1960's! Timeless SF that is not dated by the thinking limitations of the age.

Below are some new books / series that I have just finished that are worth exploring, all different:

• A time of dread: John Gwynne (3 book series + 4 book follow on)
  • The empire's ruin: Brian Stavely (4 part series)
  • The blacktongue thief: Christopher Buehlman
  • The Goblin Emperor" Katherine Addison
  • Gideon the ninth: Tamsyn Muir

Some authors that are worth exploring with many books each:

• Neal Stephenson (one of my favorite authors)
  • Martha Wells
  • Adrian Tchaikovsky
  • Brandon Sanderson
  • Alastair Reynolds
  • Peter F Hamilton
  • Neal Asher
  • Stephen Baxter
  • Kate Elliott
  • James S Corey
  • Linda Nagata
  • Yoon Ha Lee
  • Nnedi Okarafor
  • Ann Leckie

That should keep you going for a weekend 🙂

Really liked Gideon The Ninth, the sequel is purchased and in the queue to read.

Bought The Raven Tower by Leckie and just can’t seem to get through it. I hate the second person narrative.

I’ve read lots of Stephenson. 

Martha Wells' Murderbot series is good but way overpriced for the short novellas that they are.

• 4 weeks later...