Note to New Members ×

Question

cbrkid1981

Hey,

Are there drills, or things that I can practice specifically to be able to get deeper carves?  I use a pretty tame board mostly an SG Cult, and or a Donek Axess with not very steep bindings angles.  I'm having some trouble being able to initiate the turn, and getting really low.  I'll be honest part of it is that at Wachusett the local mountain the trails are really narrow so I find myself scared a bit.  I'm also not very confident that the edge is going to hold or how far over to lean.  I'm sorry if the question is a hot mess I just want to improve my riding and there aren't many fellow hard boot people where I'm at. 

Thanks in advance,

Diana 

• Like 1

I think working on getting the board angulated will help. There is a video of Corey on Youtube discussing some basic drills at on the the SES or ATC events (I'll see if I can find it).

If you are loosing edge grip, I think working on getting the board on edge and pressured it a good start. Leaning should happen as a consequence of this. If you lean without getting the board on edge you are going to move weight away from it and make the situation worse. Leans is a consequence to a degree.

Edit- I think it was this one.

Edited by Mr.E

16 hours ago, cbrkid1981 said:

...I'm having some trouble being able to initiate the turn...

...I'm also not very confident that the edge is going to hold or how far over to lean.

Difficulty with turn initiation generally stems from issues with turn completion. That most often has to do with how you're standing on the board, and the beta that put you there.

Uncertain footing is related.

If you can post a short clip of your riding to this thread, or send a link via PM, that will save a lot of guessing as to what you're doing, and what to do next.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, cbrkid1981 said:

... I'm having some trouble being able to initiate the turn, and getting really low....

....or how far over to lean...

Hard to judge without visual, but it sounds like you are trying too much to get low/lean over. If you lean your upper body (reach for the snow) at the initiation of the turn...you will not initiate the turn.

You should initiate the turn(edge the board) with your lower body, upper body upright.  Get those mellow carves going and when your turns get more agressive, your lean angle will increase automatically. 

• Like 1

Carpet carving, strapped in, standing in the doorframe so you don’t fall over. 
Also, don’t send Erik a PM with any video you take, or you’ll deny all of us the word salads that are made in these advice threads. Sure... you’ll get accurate feedback from him, getting to the root of your issues far more efficiently, but the entertainment value of an open discussion will be lost. 
Think of the children. 

Edited by Rob Stevens
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, javajive said:

Here's a drill I haven't seen done except by ski racers. Maybe not the turns you are after though. 

On Highway 89 @ Captain's Basin, Cardrona. I saw the Chinese Junior alpine snowboard team doing the same thing, prior to the Junior World champs at Cardrona.

Or try it this way -
http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/video-clips/bamboo

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

@cbrkid1981 Diana, I am at Wachusett quite a bit (have the Gold pass). @Arden is there as well and works on the mtn. Happy to give you some pointers. The trails should be plenty wide enough for linking turns. Are you able carve your down hill edge either on softboot or hardboot? Ralphs Run is a good trail to practice on.

Geoff

13 hours ago, javajive said:

Here's a drill I haven't seen done except by ski racers. Maybe not the turns you are after but it looks like she is really driving down on the "handlebars" to set the edge. 

Yes, a good drill I learned from Beckman, discussed briefly here: http://alpinesnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Carving-Practice-Drills.pdf

“Bamboo”

Beautiful Gloria is on the right track but a longer pole would be better to alert the rider when a hand dips too low. 

• Like 1

Update.

I'm super excited that I have been doing much better in transitioning back and forth.  Bryan has been helping me with the use of lift and cant on the bindings.  I had no idea what I was doing and I feel much more confident, and don't feel like I'm getting stuck from heel to toe at all. I'll get some video it's just tough I'm usually solo.  Thank you all for all the help, and suggestions I have made many notes, and am keeping a log.  Lol you guys are great and I really appreciate you all. 

• Like 2