Note to New Members ×

Helmet/Injury

Beckmann AG

19 hours ago, Mr.E said:

...I also have concerns with any article that, even generally, suggests helmet usage leads to more injury when the study seems to show correlation over causation.

I did not find any of it which suggests that helmets cause more injury, in fact the opposite:

"...the two doctors said they didn’t want to send the message that helmets were not helpful, only that there were limits to their protection. Skiing and snowboarding are generally safe, they said, with fewer than 50 deaths nationwide annually."

The headline summarises that. 

“Helmets do not protect against all head injuries nor were they intended to do so ... The association between helmet use and intracranial injury and severe injury should not be construed to mean that helmets cause these injuries or should be discouraged; rather factors such as risk-taking behavior, skill level and skiing conditions likely drive this association.”

That seems fairly clear and reasonable to me.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried the Giro Disciple S helmet (not the bike version).  I’ve been looking for a full face helmet designed for snow that actually provides face protect, unlike Ruroc.  Anecdotally, an acquaintance used to use a motorcycle helmet, until a minor fall ended in a good case of whiplash from the excessively heavy helmet.

@chaoticbiker I bought a bike one (Gyro Disciple) this season and filled the vent holes with foam for warmth.  It is a heavy helmet, equally as heavy as the POC full face snow helmet.  My neck ached from wearing it.  I believe that a heavy helmet could contribute to neck injuries.  I am no longer using it.  

Some sides of the helmet believers think that a chin bar can also contribute to neck injuries.  It makes sense to me... one safety feature may protect your face at the expense of your neck.  This is a highly debatable topic so this is just my opinion.  

I have worn a Poc Skull X with a chin bar for years but have switched to a regular super light weight half shell helmet with warm ear covers. I am very happy with it.

Ive been riding for 28 years & Ive had expensive helmets with & without face guards& still have had concussions. Regardless of the skull/face protection the added weight of a helmet will tweak you neck muscles even in a light crash. A jacket fixed with a roll of padding around you neck will help with whip lash, If your really concerned wear a mouth guard for added security . I used to wear full body armor minus wrist guards with a helmet & still broke the tib fib in my leg in a severe crash, it doesnt matter if  you push the speed or not, odds are against you in this sport, do whatever you can to protect your self.