Note to New Members ×

WTF 2020. 1/17 through 2/1

snowreport: thu jan 09, 2020
howdy all

woke up yesterday and my body said take a rest so I did. today leaving the house and looking at

the mountain with clear skies and no new snow I knew it was going to be a great day. much cooler

and great groomers from yesterdays few inches of creamy pow. sunny all morning, but a little artic

chill made it a cold day. wanted to ride something different so rode the old 157alp and wasn't the

best choice for a great groomer day. rode hard all morning and took a break only to find dredman

and greg a local carver then johnasmo stops by. it was such a beautiful day with great groomers

and sunshine so I was going to stay all day so took a lunch break then gets cloudy with flat light

so did a few more runs and called it at 3pm then it starts to snow a little... forecast is a snowy

weekend then the artic air comes down next week... burrrrr...

rode the 157alp from 9 till 3...

• Like 1

snowreport: fri jan 10, 2020
howdy all

started off with a thin high overcast and I was hoping that it would burn off, but it got thicker as the

day went on. the groomers was as good as it gets and made for a really fun day. classic big mountain

fog builds throughout the day. great carving early (you guys should have been here) and good all day.

did a few runs with dredman and johnasmo and a sighting of rob tearing up ed's. started to snow about

one ish and it got a little new mixed in and got a bit soft and sluggish. was a fun day and my first bell

to bell and I could have done night skiing, but I was done... good carving snow were you could really push it...

forecast is a snowy weekend then single digits next week...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

• Like 1

snowreport: sat jan 11, 2020
howdy all

woke up early and knew it was going to be a big day. shoveled my side walk with five plus inches

of light fluffy snow. it was on the warm side and humid and got to the mountain and the fog was

down at the village. six inches brought the huge weekend crowds. the fog up high made my goggles

rime up. did a couple runs on chair 1 then stayed on chair 2 to stay away from the crowds and the

rimey fog. I was done by 11am, but cruised around and made laps on chair 2 till 1pm. my last few

runs it starts to rime up my goggles on chair 2... time to leave... not the best pow day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

Are you getting this cold snap? A few of us enjoyed the last of the good weather yesterday, but the overnight lows for the next week are brutally cold, in the -30's, and not much better during the day. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our hills close for a bit this week.

snowreport: sun jan 12, 2020
howdy all

three inches of nice dry snow overnight with cooler temps with the classic big mountain fog. the

fog was pretty thick from just below the top of chair 2 on up. a couple inches over groom and really

deep off groom mixed with yesterdays pow. a part of me wanted to explore, but I just did the easy

cruisers and went to places I normally don't go. did a hellfire run and it had nice smooth powder

over groom with a surfy feel then went off the side and it was deep and my nose sank and I did an

endo in the soft pow... goodtimes… should have stayed longer, but more pow is expected tonight

with much colder temp so need to rest up and be ready for tomorrow... forecast now is in the upper

teens for highs and single digits for lows... hi allee, not that cold yet, but we will see...

snowreport: mon jan 13, 2020
howdy all

epic powder day! skied much deeper than reported. foggy just on the summit and vis was good

most of the way down. not that busy cause they reported very cold temps, but it wasn't so bad.

the summit temp read 10 degrees and with the extra layer it was a little toasty after a run. first

run on ed's had a few inches over groom then waited on chair 1 for 20 minutes. couple good

bottomless runs down the face and couple really good runs on the left side of upper big ravine.

did a glory hole run when they opened it around noon. we were supposed to get some wind,

but it was calm all day and going home down the mountain the sun came out and it was a

great way to end my day... another day in paradise... everyone in a great mood... high 5's...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue jan 14, 2020
howdy all

with colder temps and 4in overnight and 9in in 24hrs it was really light blower cold smoke. a few

inches over groom on ed's first thing in the morning. the groom was there and you could hardly

feel the new snow. went to the back side after my break and tried to hop on the side of the run,

but the snow did not support me and sank to bottom and the blower snow was up to my knees

with hardly no resistance. on my last run on ed's with no one around so tried to do some bigger

carves and stuffed my nose on heelside and flew up and fell on my back and wacked the back

of my head on the snow... time to go home... today was ok... again fog up high...

14 hours ago, Cuban Carving Gooding said:

Hi Dan. Do you come in Friday or Saturday? We get in Friday.  I should be  in by 3.  My number 216-390-4842

Hey Cuban! I'm coming by train; it arrives around 7 a.m. on Saturday, so assuming it's on time, I should be on the hill by 9:30 or so. I'll text you my cell#. Looking forward to my second WTF 🙂

Also, does anyone want to chime in on board selection? The forecast seems to say there won't be much fresh snow while I'm there (Jan 18-20), so I'm thinking my Thirst carving board and maybe an O-sin 3800 as backup in case we get snow. I'd prefer to just bring the Thirst though...do y'all think there's any reason to bring a pow board? 

snowreport: wed jan 15, 2020
howdy all

wow! I expected really soft groomers, but chair 2 had perfect groomers so stayed there till after 11am

did a run down the front then took a lunch break. the snow was kinda chew up soft on chair 1 so back

down to chair 2 which was warmer and the sun was shinning on it from about 10am then it was blue

sky sunshine all day. I was pooped by noon, but kept riding and sitting to enjoy this beautiful day. after

every one goes to chair 1 chair 2 was empty and there were many times as I sat on ed's I was the only

person on the run. not too crowded so rode hard all morning and took it easy later in the afternoon.

Monday was an epic pow day and today was an epic (sunny) carving day. forecast is some snow the

next couple days then a nice weekend then warmer temps next week...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: thu jan 16, 2020
howdy all

super high overcast and a little humid and a bit warmer with just over an inch over groom. just a

bit creamy and the push piles gets bumpy. early was good cause you could cut through the new

snow. was tired and hungry so called it at 1pm and as I am going down the mountain the sun comes

out and looking back at the mountain it is blue sky sunshine, another beautiful day... was mostly on

chair 2... was an ok carving day... I really need to rest... oh yeah!, the snow on the trees with the sun

on it looks awesome even downlow it is all white...

rode the 171turnstub from 9 till 1...

howdy dan

Saturday is forcasted to have 50% precip and none on Sunday and Monday. weekend is always

busy and it is a three day weekend so it could be really crazy with the Canadians too. carving gets

tricky with huge crowds. sometimes softboots on weekends is a good idea. bring the carver, but

be careful... looking forward to meet you and the wtf boys...

snowreport: fri jan 17, 2020
howdy all

did not expect 3 inches in town this morning. I was going to bring the 159 sg soul, but got up late

and didn't have time to put the bindings on. yeah I know should have done it last night. well worked

out ok cause brought the 152wfs and it was a fun day. an inch plus of heavy cream over groom on

ed's and did two runs. then did a couple down the face and the snow was on the heavier side and

a lot of work then took a short break then did a few more runs. it was hard work down the front so

went to the backside and it was really good. did a couple down black bear into Hollywood and it was

really good soft pow. I never go into Hollywood, but it was fun. the backside was way better and going

home on my last run the front was bumped up firm. the sun came out for a little while around 10am

then a huge cloud passed thru then the sun comes out about noon and as I was leaving it was blue

sky sunshine. the wind was blowing in town... a lot of snow on the trees on the big must have been

blown off last night... the summit had a good breeze all day... forecast for tomorrow is some snow

later in the afternoon... welcome WTF ers… chair 2 9am sharp... sorry dave I missed you wed and fri...

snowreport: sat jan 18, 2020
howdy all

a grey humid morning and I was worried that it might be a short day from the rime build up, but

it was cold enough and the light snow was on the dry side. it was lightly snowing all morning and

it should snow thru the night. well, it was nice to see Cuban again and meet dan from Portland and

who knows where shred was. ed's run had the worst ridges in the seams and the snow was soft

from yesterdays new snow. hope it doesn't snow too much tonight so we get a better groom.

today is the first day of WTF2020 and it was a fun day riding with Cuban, dan, johnasmo, rick and

me... the weekend crowds were crazy busy and best to do short carves and keep your head on a

swivel... again the classic big mountain fog on the top half and getting lower... time to call it...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sun jan 19, 2020
howdy all

what a weird day... starts off classic big mountain fog halfway up then it starts to push it's way down

and the inversion tries to set-up. last night the humid fog or light misty rain made an icy crust about

half inch or less. the snow underneath was good and when the icy crust gets skied off it gets mixed

in with crunchy marbles of ice. the fog is moving up and down with clear pockets and thick fog. not

the best day and mixed with huge crowds it was time to call it early... I hope it gets better, but the

forecast is warmer temps so well see what happens. 35 degrees tomorrow then 40 degrees and by

the weekend 45 degrees... will it be spring skiing?... sorry guys... WTF2020 day 2... the radar looks

like a big blob is being pulled up from the southwest... more rain?...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...