Note to New Members ×

WTF 2020. 1/17 through 2/1

snowreport: sun mar 01, 2020
howdy all

cloudy morning with spots of blue sky and huge clouds all around and a little chilly and snow did

not stick to your gear. icy groomers and skied off into crunchy marbles and can still barely carve

on the crunchy ice. did the same thing in the morning going to chair 3 first and make a couple runs

to avoid the morning crowd and you know who. everyone heads to the backside cause it is skiing

pretty good so not too many people on the front and not many people after yesterday's frozen ice.

stayed on chair 2 all day and did not bother to go up to the summit. just making quick laps and

carve on the not so steep sections. it was fun trying to be centered and not forcing the board

and just let it track and trust the edge. was able to make some turns so it was a good day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon mar 02, 2020
howdy all

high overcast with huge clouds and a little sprinkle of snow about 11am for a little while. cold wind

and got chilly and the snow was dry and crumbly like dry sand. still icy crunchy snow with marbles,

but can still carve it. again just carving the not so steep sections and taking it easy. the topside is

better and the bottom is very firm. stayed mostly on chair 2 cause it was warmer and could at least

carve and dig in. only went to the summit a couple times and it was cold and heard the backside

was dumping snow and accumulated to an inch plus. today not the best, but still fun... forecast is

some snow Wednesday...

snowreport: tue mar 03, 2020
howdy all

a really nice blue sky day and warm and windy and the wind felt good and cool. there was about

a dusting of a quarter inch of new snow and that seemed to really help the crunchy ice underneath.

sunny and warm and the snow quickly gets soft by noon and by the end of my day at 1pm it was

getting wet and slow and starting to get to get slushy. stayed mostly on chair 1 cause there was

no lift line as everyone goes to the backside cause the snow is better. ptarmigan bowl was groomed

with a lot of wind blown snow on the top section and carved the bottom. did not do larch and lower

corkscrew was not groomed. just making laps down the front all day... today was fun...

forecast is high winds and some snow tomorrow...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed mar 04, 2020
howdy all

almost wasn't going to go up cause as I was getting ready the winds was really ripping and thought

this is not good and maybe the mountain would not open some chairs. there was a dark cloud over

the big and some clear skies to the south. just as it was time to leave I looked outside and the winds

kinda stopped so I decided to go. the winds was blowing snow off the hill and the trees and tree parts

all over the runs. it was super windy for the first hour and chair 2 opened on time and chair 1 opened

a little later as the winds kinda slowed down. a dusting of super fine pulverized snow on the low spots

and exposed icy crunchy groom that gets scraped off into icy marbles. the new wind blown snow was

dry and got sticky when the sun came out. it was horrible and just going up and down and making laps

and not carving to kill time for the snow bus. the sun came out and the snow was just getting soft and

the beginning of the melt down. after I left the sun was out and I am sure it got pretty soft...

maybe I cruise around the north side of mountain tomorrow... maybe some snow by the weekend...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: thu mar 05, 2020
howdy all

looked like it was going to be a nice blue sky morning with the thinnest of a super high overcast

that looked like it would burn off, but it slowly builds and later a thin cloud filters the sun and kept

things cool and the snow never got really soft. vis was good all day and you could see the mountains

all around. started a little later cause I knew it would be very firm in the morning so took my time

and did not expect much. the snow is still icy crunch, but today it wasn't that bad and could carve

a little on the not so steep sections. did a little exploring and went to places I hardly ever go.

it was easy to slarve like a skier cause the runs are buffed out and gets lightly skied off so stays

nice all day. not the best carving, but it was fun just cruising around. did a few runs with johnasmo

from 2 to 3pm... just sliding around on a really nice day...

rode the 157fp from 10:30 till 3...

snowreport: fri mar 06, 2020
howdy all

super high cloudy overcast and lighting was kinda flat all day. the clouds was so high you could still

see the mountains all around. again went a little later and the snow was already soft just from the warm

air. the old snow on the front was icy crumbly and getting wet and soft and did not hold an edge at all.

went to the backside and the snow was better and held an edge so made a few runs back there. just

cruising up and down and working on vertical and making laps down the front. not the best day as the

spring skiing is starting and the window of good carving will get shorter... made some turns so it was fun...

rode the 164pro from 10:30 till 3...

snowreport: sat mar 07, 2020
howdy all

ditto as yesterday, but went early to beat the weekend crowds, but it wasn't too busy cause the conditions

is not the best. the ungroomed snow is getting brown and looks really sad. the groomers was kinda soft

early just from the warm temps, but still sliding around till about noon then it got carveable. I was going

to leave at 1pm, but it was getting fun and carved good so stayed till 2pm and it was still good, but I was

getting tired and hungry. the bottom of the hill was getting a little slushy with kinda big push piles and

tonight is the last night of night skiing and about 7:20pm heard a helicopter and saw it make a few loops

near the village. i'm sure those push piles firmed up and made it dangerous conditions. there is 4 more

weeks and we really need a refresh, but it looks like more warm temps so it is not looking good...

day light savings time so spring forward an hour tomorrow...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sun mar 08, 2020
howdy all

looked like it was going to be a nice warm morning with some blue sky so took off a layer and

thought I would be riding some slush, but it was much cooler and the sun disappeared behind

big clouds and lighting was flat at times. my hands and my toes got a little cold in the morning

and the snow never got wet and soft. just sliding over scraped off crumbly ice and it was kinda

fun not having to carve and ride hard. just cruising around and making laps and working on

vertical. it did snow some graupel around noon for an hour and the new snow made it sticky

slow. it is not going to get better until we get some real snow and maybe by this weekend...

rode the 157fp from 11:30 till 3...

snowreport: mon mar 09, 2020
howdy all

beautiful blue skies, but much colder and the snow never got really soft. the clouds rolled in about

2ish and just before it got slightly soft then firmed up again. only the very top surface got skied off

and the snow stayed smooth all day. it was fun to slarve and it was not hard on the legs so rode all

day. it was a good day to go top to bottom without stopping and made many laps. it was cold even

with the sun shining in the morning. today was really fun and it was a different kind of riding style...

rode the 157fp from 10:30 till 4...

howdy shred

today (3-9-20) was a very good day for skis, you should have been here...

snowreport: tue mar 10, 2020
howdy all

super high overcast and the sun filters thru in the morning and wasn't too cold. then the clouds

thicken with a little wind and it gets really cold. the snow is icy crumbly and only the top surface

gets scraped off. it got cold about noon and the snow stayed dry and did not stick to your gear.

it supposed to get really cold by the weekend with some snow as the artic air comes down.

again just slarving around and going up and down the front and working on vertical... was fun...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 11, 2020
howdy all

nice morning with a few inches of new thick creamy snow and classic big mountain fog up high.

not very busy and dredman was the only one ready to take off on the summit as I caught up with

him. we rode all morning on the front and early was fun then got a little bumpy as the thick snow

got chewed up into push piles. it got a little tiring pushing thru the heavy snow. this new snow

should groom down nicely for tomorrow... forecast is much colder artic air by the weekend with

plenty snow...

snowreport: thu mar 12, 2020
howdy all

a nice morning and a little chilly. took my time this morning and did one run on ed's and the very

top of chair 2 was good, but the main run was marbles and firm from yesterdays warm sunny

afternoon. the top two thirds of the mountain was very good with the new snow from yesterday.

sunny early then a few clouds rolled thru then sunny again. tried a new to me 168vsr and did a

few runs on the backside to get used to it and took a couple runs to figure it out. it is a very fun

board and need to be low and the board turns. did laps down the front and rode hard and wanted

to stay longer, but I was pooped. the new snow really helped and carved really good. on my last

run down ed's nobody was going on it and it looked good and not bumped up, but the top inch

or so was soft and wet and breaking down and it was time to call it... today was really fun and

the new snow made it feel like winter again... forecast is artic air this weekend and warm by

mid week...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri mar 13, 2020
howdy all

breezy artic wind first thing in the morning, but not to bad and went up to the mountain and when

I got there it was blowing hard and the snow was blasting up into the sky. went up on chair 2 and

the chairs were swinging side to side and did one run on ed's and it was icy marbles. yesterday's

sun made the lower mountain soft and it firmed up this morning. the wind was really cold and it

seemed nuts to be up on the hill today so did one run and called it. chair 1 opened on time and i

was almost going to go up, but decided it was crazy to be on the hill... this is just the beginning

of the artic blast and will continue tomorrow... the wind chills are very cold...

rode the 168vsr from 9 till 10...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: sat mar 14, 2020
howdy all

stayed home due to very high artic winds... here is the big's snowreport:

Deep thoughts by Josh*:

-11:59 AM Update-

Well my friends, the word has been given, and due to hazardous conditions between wind and temperatures, no chairlifts will be operating today. This is never an easy decision to come to but the safety of our guests and our staff is always first and foremost. The Base Lodge and Ed & Mully's will continue to run on a limited basis for those of you currently up here with us, so enjoy some libations, and sit by the fire with friends and family watching the storm outside.

There of course is always a silver lining in any scenario like this.. with sunny skies in the forecast for tomorrow, and fresh snow falling all day with no one to ride it, the coming days should make for some amazing turns here on Big Mountain! We look forward to seeing you on the slopes tomorrow!

-10:40 AM Update-

Just to keep everyone in the loop, Chairs 2 and 6 are still under assessment for opening, however at this point they remain on hold. Keep checking in for more details on their status!

-9:30 AM Update-

Unfortunately due to hazardous conditions between high winds, and cold temperatures, Chair 1 will not be opening today. This means that all lifts reached from the upper mountain will also remain closed for the day, as well as Chairs 3, 4, 10, and the Big Easy Carpet on the front side. Chairs 2 and 6 are currently on wind hold until further assessment. Keep checking back, and I will keep you posted with the latest updates as they become available. 

For those interested and involved in the Nate Chute events going on this weekend, due to closures and conditions, the band scheduled to play at the 'Stube has been canceled for this evening, however festivities and fun are still planned for tomorrow!

-8:20 AM Update-

Unfortunately due to today's weather conditions, we will not be running the Nate Chute competition today, because of this the banked slalom competition will be ran tomorrow instead, with all the information and schedule as follows:

We are going to run the 21st Annual Nate Chute Banked Slalom tomorrow, SUNDAY 3/15.  Standard schedule as advertised. 

Anyone registered for the SBX will be refunded.  Everyone who signed up for the Banked Slalom will get a hoodie.  Almost all SBX only racers qualified for a Hoodie, and we would be happy to hook you up at Event Check in on Sunday. First come first served.  

SUNDAY BANKED SLALOM SCHEDULE - 3/15/2020
730-830             Mandatory Check In
910                    Racer Load Chair 1
9:15 - 10am       Inspection
10:15                 Rider Meeting at Start
4:00                  Lap for the Lost
5:15                  Awards at the Bierstube

-8:10 Update-

Due to the current weather we will be canceling Saturday Snow Sports Programs-Freestyle, Buckaroos, Devo and ½ Pints. 

-7:45 AM Update-

With the delay in power returning this morning, we are looking at a delay in opening as we make up for lost time in preparing for daily operations. The timeline for this is as of yet unclear, as it is dependent on what the wind has done across the slopes through the night. Stay tuned and keep checking back for more information.

-7:30 AM Update-

The power is back online! I will continue to keep you posted on any other updates that may come out with the high winds today.

-7:00 AM Update-

The winds are still blowing strong, and power is still out up here. I have yet to hear any updates on the situation, but wanted to keep everyone posted as the morning progresses. Keep checking back here, and I will continue updating the report as new information becomes available!

-6:00 AM Report-

A strong North Eastern wind has blown through the night bringing with it snow across the mountain. The wind however, has been blowing the snow around the mountain meaning snow stakes are reading about one new inch of snow, while significantly deeper pockets of freshies are scattered across the mountain.

Unfortunately with this strong wind, has come a power outage as well. I currently have no word on when power may be restored, or how this may affect today's operations, but I will be keeping my ear on the radio and updating this report with more information as it becomes available.

Be sure to bundle up with an extra layer or two today. This strong North Eastern wind has brought with it wind chill values as low as -40 degrees. Be sure to cover up with a facemask and extra layer, and do your best to avoid exposed skin in the wind. And remember to stop in the summit for some coffee or hot chocolate if you need to warm up!

Today and tomorrow for the 21st Annual Nate Chute Banked Slalom and Boardercross! This competition is the second-longest running snowboard banked slalom in the US! It’s a ‘Contest for a Cause’ — the event is a great supporter of suicide prevention among young people in Montana.  

For those competing in today's banked slalom, due to inclement weather there has been a change in today's schedule. The first run has been canceled, pushing the start time back slightly. The new schedule is as follows:

SCHEDULE CHANGE DUE TO WEATHER
9:45-10:45am – Check in at lift plaza ticket office
11:15am-12:10pm – Course Inspection
12:30pm – Competitors meeting
12:45pm-3pm – Races
5pm – Awards

For more information, see our events page.

If you want to volunteer to help out this amazing event, we would love to have you! Email events@skiwhitefish.com for information on how you can get involved!

snowreport: sun mar 15, 2020
howdy all

truly beautiful bluebird day, but very cold temps so went a little later and was getting busy with

the weekend crowds and everyone making up for yesterdays lost day. didn't know what to expect

on the conditions from yesterdays wind blown deep freeze so brought the 157fp cause that board

is for cruising around on any condition and it is the weekend and I try to slow down my riding.

there was wind blown snow and little tree parts all over the leeward side of the tree line and on the

other side it was icy crunchy with polished ice in spots and it wasn't very fun. just going up and down

mostly on chair 2 cause there was not much of a lift line. I was getting cold and was thinking of

calling it about 1pm, but still wanted to ride so went to ed and mully's to warm up and went back

out to maybe ride till 2pm then one of the lefties said today is the last day so rode till closing...

not the best way to end the season... tomorrow could have been a good coiler day... oh well...

88 days... pau...

rode the 157fp from 10:30 till 4...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reported (March 15th, 2020)

Call Ski Patrol
Print Today's Report
Current Summit Weather

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 0"/0cm
Settled Base: 128"/326cm
Total to Date: 252"/641cm
6am Temp: -11°F/-24°C

24hr Snow: 6"/16cm
7 Day Snow: 10"/26cm
Current Conditions: Mostly Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/NE at 9mph

Terrain Status

Open Runs: 105
Terrain Parks: 5
Night Skiing: Done for the Season

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
Village Settled: 36"/92cm
Total to Date: 104"/265cm
6am Temp: -3°F/-19°C

7 Day Snow: 1"/3cm
Current Conditions: Mostly Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/0mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

**SPECIAL NOTICE**

Today is the final day of the 2019/20 Winter season at Whitefish Mountain Resort. In light of rapidly changing circumstances involving COVID-19/coronavirus, the mountain will close for the season to do our part in limiting the spread of the virus. See this webpage for more information. 

This decision comes with a heavy heart, as we all often turn to the mountain, to skiing and snowboarding, for some peace of mind during difficult or stressful times. It has been a wonderful season, and thanks for letting me share my deep thoughts with you each week this winter. 

Come on up this afternoon, carpool with a buddy or two, and enjoy some bluebird skies and fresh snow for the last day of the season!

-10:15 AM Update-

The tracks are deepest today in the lower, more wind protected areas! The surface underneath is variable. It's a beautiful day to be on the Big!

-7:45 AM Update-

With more observations in from our team on the mountain, we have changed our official 24 hour snowfall total to 6 inches. This total is what they are more consistently seeing up top, but as stated before, depths will vary widely across the mountain. It's still going to be a windblown powder palooza up here today!

Also- our summit weather station is still reporting -10 degrees as of 7:00 AM, so be prepared for a very brisk morning!

-6:00 AM Report-

Goooooood morning from the Rebel Base on Planet Hoth, A.K.A. Big Mountain. What a wild weekend it has been so far. Thanks for everyone's patience yesterday with this intense storm we had, and an extra big shout out to our ski patrol, groomers, and the rest of our mountain operations team for working hard to get the mountain safe and ready to open today. 

We're officially calling it 9 inches of new snow over the last 24 hours, but with the high winds yesterday, conditions will widely vary across the mountain- from wind scoured and icy, to some even deeper accumulations in spots. Please be aware of significant wind drifts today, and as always, if you plan to head into the trees be sure to ski or ride with a partner, and check out our Tree Well and Deep Snow Safety tips.

It's going to be one amazing powder day with sunny skies forecast, slightly warmer temperatures, and moderate winds. We have a high of 20 degrees expected for the upper mountain, but with chill values as low as -26, you're still going to want to wear all the extra layers you got!

The Nate Chute Race is on today with the banked slalom portion of the competition. Please see the competition event page for more important information.

SCHEDULE:
7:30-8:30am – Check in at lift plaza ticket office
9:10am – Early chairlift load for racers only
9:15-10am – Course Inspection
10:15am – Competitors meeting
10:30am-3pm – Races
5pm – Awards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from See this webpage:

After careful thought and discussion in light of the rapidly changing circumstances, Whitefish Mountain Resort has made the decision to close for the 2019/20 winter season after the close of day today, Sunday March 15, 2020. Although there have not been any confirmed cases of COVID-19 at our resort, or in the Flathead Valley, we feel the need to do our part in limiting the spread of the coronavirus.

“It is with a heavy heart that we have reached this decision however, we feel at this time this is the best thing to do for the health of our employees, guests, and our community,” Whitefish Mountain Resort CEO Dan Graves said. “We sincerely apologize to our guests currently at Whitefish Mountain Resort and those who have planned trips here this March and April. It is particularly upsetting because we are all skiers and understand how important this recreation is to our mental health.”

In addition to on-mountain operations, all restaurants, rental and retail shops will be closed. All events planned for the remainder of the season have been cancelled. Whitefish Mountain Resort’s lodging department will be contacting all current guests and existing reservations to work with them to make alternate travel agreements. We have relaxed our cancellation policies and will continue to honor this relaxed policy with summer reservations.

Guests that have purchased advanced tickets online are asked to email info@skiwhitefish.com rather than calling the resort as it is expected that call volume will be high.

All seasonal employees will be given the opportunity to receive work assignments through their scheduled work period.

snowreport: mon mar 16, 2020
howdy all

a beautiful bluebird day and a little warmer and the season is over. didn't reach my goal of a 100 days

and over a two million vertical feet, but I was on my way to better my average this year. so ended with

88 days and 1,913,285 vertical feet and ranked 11th. not the best season as we started with not much

snow in December and it was looking good with snow in early January then a kinda mild February with

some of the thickest foggy days and March with not much new snow and spring conditions. made

some good carving turns so it was a fun season... only a couple good powder days... all in all it was

an o.k. season... at least I made it thru without getting hurt... lost three more weeks... see you next year...

photos by Mountain Life Photography

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

snowreport: mon mar 23, 2020
howdy all

we had a week of nice blue sky sunshine with warmer temps, but the weekend it was cooler with

some artic wind from the east. today is the first cloudy day and forecasted to be a rainy week...

snowreport: tue mar 31, 2020
howdy all

this past week it was pretty grey and cloudy and a little cooler with a good half inch in town on

Tuesday morning and some rain and wind during the week. this morning we had a slight dusting

and some snow on the big. it would have been good this week if we were still open. we are just

on the backside of a front and cooler temps... well, I have been stocking up and sitting tight...

stay healthy...

• Like 1

snowreport: sun apr 05, 2020
howdy all

today is the official last day of the 19/20 winter season and it would have been a good last week

as we had some good snow on Tuesday and Wednesday and cooler temps and today we had a

little dusting here in town early in the morning then a nice day. this past three weeks has been

hard not boarding and even harder with what is going on around the world. I hope things get better

and get back to normal soon and everything is good by the start of next winter season... I wish

everyone stays healthy and hope to see you all next year... stay safe and healthy...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...