Note to New Members ×

WTF 2020. 1/17 through 2/1

snowreport: mon jan 20, 2020
howdy all

what a difference a day makes. today was nice and sunny and a tad bit icy groomers in the morning

then the sun made it really good. it got better as the day went on. riding with the crew, Cuban, Dan,

Johnasmo, Rick and me. today was fun and it is great when you can see. everybody went their own

way after 1pm and I went to the baselodge to get lunch cause I was going to stay all day. went back

to chair 2 and did some laps and the super high overcast starts to build about 2:30pm and the lighting

gets flat and I was getting tired so called it at 3pm... it was great to meet dan and I hope your train

is on time... today wasn't so busy being mlk day... today was good groomers and a fun crew...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

• Like 1

snowreport: tue jan 21, 2020
howdy all

classic big mountain fog from the top of chair 2 on up and thick at the summit and it was all day.

really good groomers on chair 2 and the frontside. today's crew Cuban, johnasmo, rick and me.

ripping all morning till about 1pm then lunch at hellroaring (thanks Cuban). the groomers was

nice and just soft enough to really hold an edge. today was fun... snow was getting wet and a

little stiff at 2pm...

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 2...

Edited by west carven
  • Like 1

snowreport: wed jan 22, 2020
howdy all

as I got to the mountain it was lightly snowing bordering on icy rain and thought it was going to be

a rimy day. there was a couples inches of new snow over groom and it was nice and smooth. it snowed

off and on all morning and there was a little more snow on the summit. it was carvable in the morning

then it go tougher later so took it easy. dredman and me tried to find the elusive shred gruumer to see

what he was up to. dredman got to try shred's grey 178 desperado with hardboots and I tried his coiler

157 slice also with hardboots. it was not ideal as those boards are more for softboots. johnasmo also

dropped by and tried the desperado. it was fun to just hang out and take it easy. shred and Cuban are

staying right next to chair3 and it was good groomers and no push piles of new snow. was fun day

just hanging out... forecast is warmer temps the next few days... will see what happens...

rode the 171turnstub from 9 till 3...

snowreport: thu jan 23, 2020
howdy all

no friends on powder day... sorry guys... it was drizzling in town when I left the house this morning.

it looked foggy, but it was just the snow and vis was not that bad. did a couple runs on chair 2 and

there was an inch plus over groom then waited on chair 1. did a toni matt then a couple down the

face then took a break. went down the chair 7 towers a couple times then went to chair 11 and did

a couple runs. the backside was nice and soft and no rime. the frontside had a little rime early, but

my last run on the frontside it started to rime on the top and by the time I got mid way down I had

to take my goggles off and I was soaking wet, the snow was wet and stiff and foggy, it wasn't fun.

forecast for tomorrow and the next few days doesn't look good. summit highs of 30 degrees and

village temps of 36 degrees and lots of precept, rain/snow. i'll go and check it out if it is not raining

hard in town in the morning... today was a fun powder day... I hope the WTF ers had fun...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri jan 24, 2020
howdy all

it was raining when I woke up, but got ready anyways and the rain stopped by the time I left the

house. the fog was down near the village and thick up high. there was a little kids race on chair 2.

the snow was soft and very wet and gets compacted hard on the high traffic areas. little squalls

of rain/snow passed thru all day. the backside was a little cooler, but the soft snow from yesterday

got wet and heavier and it will only get worst with warmer temps and more wet precip in the

forecast. met Cuban on chair 2 then we went and did a backside run then he left and I did a couple

more on the back. the summit temp read 30 degrees and it was trying to snow... fog was thick

and guessing where i'm going and always in survival mode... not a fun day... forecast is warmer

temps and more precipitation so it will be a soggy mess...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: sat jan 25, 2020
howdy all

did not know what to expect this morning. it was nice and calm and looked like it was going to be

a nice day with some clearing clouds then all of a sudden super thick fog rolls in and it was all the

way down near the village. the fog was really thick at times and would lightly rime up your goggles.

the snow was icy hard pack and when skied off it was loose granular. mostly sliding around and

in survival mode and guessing where i'm going in total whiteout fog. met greg first thing in the

morning with his new monster and we did a few runs (not carving), saw Cuban, but did not catch

up to him. it was hard to see very far and just concentrating on what is right in front of you. the

fog cleared for a couple runs on toni matt after 12pm then it was thick again. only made a few

carves when the fog cleared. looks like it will be the freeze/thaw snow break down all week...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sun jan 26, 2020
howdy all

again did not know what to expect with this warm weather. today was forecasted to be 70 percent

precipitation, but it turned out to be a nice day. there was an inversion today and it was foggy in town

and there was a high overcast with some blue sky and a calm nice morning. the snow was a bit icy

and some scraped off stuff had ice balls and made it funky. as the day progressed the warmer temps

made the icy snow softer and it got carvable and fun. it was nice till 1:30pm then gets a little foggy

and starts to snow. so with the kids race with people from all over the state ripping around parents

going fast and weekend idiots bombing the runs it was not a safe environment. I almost got hit by

a stupid snowboarder going straight and fast, there is no skill involved. brought the small board

just because it is the weekend and the kid racers. it was a good day considering the conditions...

it has been raining here in town this evening...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon jan 27, 2020
howdy all

another WTF day... looked like it was going to be a nice day and the groomers was good on the

top of chair 2, but lower down it was icy bumpy torn up by the kids race on ed's run. did two runs

with Cuban then went up chair 1 thinking it would be better. ran into dredman at chair 1 and did a

run down toni matt and there was couple inches over groom and it was nice and soft. going back

up chair 1 it looked like the start of a good day. by the time we started to take off the super thick

fog is everywhere, top to bottom, it put a damper on the carving so decided to look for shred and

see what he was up to. found him on the backside with friends and we did a few laps in the fog.

everybody split up about 11:30 so I took a break and did a few more laps trying to carve when

there was a little clearing... not the best day, but fun hanging with the crew...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue jan 28, 2020
howdy all

wow! an unexpected powder day... woke up to an inch here in town and it was dumping snow.

I thought it was going to be groomers with a little snow on top and wanted to do the soft carve.

it snowed all morning and it wasn't that foggy and vis was good. did two runs on chair 2 and it

was groomed good with a little new on top and made huge turns and flew down then waited on

chair 1. saw Cuban across the way on chair 2 (sorry Cuban) and i felt bad, but it was a powder

day and it was better than I expected. I guess people stayed off the off piste after the crust from

a couple days ago and a little snow yesterday and with last nights snow it was really good off

piste. it was bottomless and the harsh bumps seemed to soften up a bit. made laps down the

face and had a bunch of good deep powder runs. I was tired by noon, but it was so good so i

stayed till 2pm. wasn't crowded so it stayed good and there was plenty pow still to be had...

rode the 159sg soul from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed jan 29, 2020
howdy all

a grey humid morning and the fog was down to the village. it kinda clears as the lifts starts to spin.

chair 2 was groomed pretty good and the snow was soft, but wet and kinda stiff and harsh. not the

best conditions, but still carvable. met Cuban early and rick and me made a few laps on chair 2. did

a few laps on the front and it wasn't too bad. it was humid and felt a bit chilly and there was a little

rime on the goggles. Cuban went to lunch about 11am and I made a few more laps and called it at

1pm. not a bad day, but felt like I was just going thru the motions and nothing to get excited about.

forecast is a warm up the next couple of days in the upper 40's then a cool down starting next week...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 30, 2020
howdy all

wow! an unexpected great groomer and sunny day. blue skies in the morning then a little cloudy

in the afternoon then the sun comes out about 3pm and by closing it was blue skies again. I wanted

to stay all day, but I was pooped and hungry by 3pm so called it. sorry guys I did not hang out, it was

really good on chair 2 so I stayed there most of the day. as I am going up chair 1 to take my break i

step off the lift and fell over and the chair goes over my head. boohoo!... did a couple down the front

and did not like the snow compared to chair 2 so back to 2 and did my laps. went up chair 1 on my

last run and the snow felt better, but by then I was spent. met LiquidEarth808 just before I left...

today was epic groomers and riding by myself put me in the "zone"... one of the better days...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: fri jan 31, 2020
howdy all

classic big mountain fog from chair 2 on up. about an inch over groom and nice and soft early.

today is the last day of WTF2020 and it was sad to say good bye to Cuban. Cuban, johnasmo,

rick and me made a few laps on chair 2. did a few runs up to the summit and it was thick till

half way down then carve the bottom section. today seemed to go by fast and quit just as the

warm temps and rain arrives. not that busy, but the snow got chewed up and bumpy. today

was an ok day and made some good turns. it was light rain as I left the mountain...

forecast for tomorrow is warm and windy with precipt… Cuban and Shred see you guys next year...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat feb 01, 2020
howdy all

ha! shred put the hex on us again... last year it was super high winds and super cold temps...

this year it was very high winds and warmer temps. chair 1 did not open till 12:30pm because

of high winds the day after WTF2020 ends. the trees had a lot of snow on them yesterday, but

today there was nothing on it in the morning. there was a dark cloud above and to the north of

the big and mostly clear skies to the south with a strong wind from the southwest. it was sunny

and the high winds was warm and it wasn't cold at all. the high winds blew a lot of tree parts all

over the eastside of the runs. there was little branches and pine needles and that mossy stuff.

the groomers were horrible cause it must have rained last night. it was super firm and the

groomers had a hard time laying down an even surface. so the weekend crowds all on chair 2

and it was super busy. made a few runs and by 10:30am the bottom of ed's run starts to get

soft like spring snow. a dark cloud passes with a few drops about 11am and I was out then

it clears and it is sunny again as I am leaving... what a horrible day on the hill...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 11...

• Like 1

snowreport: sun feb 02, 2020
howdy all

a beautiful blue sky morning. I was going to stay home after yesterday so finished a bottle of wine

then went out to the northern for a couple beers last night and got up late, but it was such a nice day

I just had to go up. the morning would have been icy so thinking later would be better, but it was much

colder even with the sun shining. got on snow at 1pm and it looked like early morning. the snow only

gets lightly skied off into crumbly dried like sand. the snow did not get wet even in the sunshine.

the lower toni matt near chair 1 was polished ice and dangerous. people flying down with really no

control on the fast conditions. it was still icy firm at closing even with the sun shining on it all day.

it was fun sliding around and just working on vertical, not much carving...

rode the 157fp from 1 till 4...

snowreport: mon feb 03, 2020
howdy all

super high thin overcast with some sun trying to peak thru. vis was good and groomers was smooth,

but it was icy firm hard pack and when the groom gets scraped off it gets polished. so sliding around

and just going up and down working on vertical. did a couple of runs thru ptarmigan bowl at the end

of my day and it was soft enough to make a few turns. called it at 2pm cause I was hungry, but really

wanted to stay as it was a nice day. today was much colder and the snow stayed firm. some snow is

in the forecast by Wednesday, Thursday. the runs are smooth and hard and any new on top will be

groomed smooth... kinda a ho hum day... my hands was very cold this morning... 9 degrees on top...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 04, 2020
howdy all

a beautiful blue sky morning and cold temps and the groomers was smooth, but still icy hard and

just barely held an edge. you would think the sun would soften the snow, but it was very cold and

the summit temp at 11am read 6 degrees. mostly just sliding around and working on vertical and

tried to carve on the flatter sections. a super high thin overcast starts to slowly build about noon

and by 1:30pm the lighting gets flat. called it at 2pm and got home by 3pm and it starts to lightly

snow. did some errands in town and it is dumping snow and stops by evening and hoping it got

groomed in. forecast is more snow the next few days...

snowreport: wed feb 05, 2020
howdy all

the fog was way down looking from town in the morning. got to the village and the fog was just above

and it looked super thick. the big reported 5 inches overnight and it was kinda busy. a lite rime on the

goggles near the top of chair 2 and did not think much of it. did two runs on ed's and it was groomed

nice and would have been good on the hardboots then waited 10 minutes for chair 1 to open. going

half way up chair 1 the rime builds on the goggles and by the time we reach the summit it was frozen

rime and was hard to rub it off. did a run down toni matt and could barely see with the fog and rime.

took my goggle off half way down and it was caked with ice then got back up to the summit and the

summit house was full with people by 10am. so took a break and thawed the ice off the goggles. the

next snowbus was at 11:30am so made a few more runs with my goggles off and I was caked with

rime like a glazed donut and just made the snowbus and hopped on. the snowbus was packed as

everyone left early and commented how bad the rime was... did a couple runs down new day then

larch then corkscrew and there was nobody around... goodtimes… I was soaked...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: thu feb 06, 2020
howdy all

again, what a difference a day makes. every day has been really different and today it was a nice

day with good groomers. high overcast and a little foggy up high with the sun trying to peak thru.

the groomers was nice and smooth, but a little stiff and yet soft. the snow was on stiff side and

it was hard on the feet as it was a bit jarring and a little grabby. stayed on chair 2 in the morning

then went to chair 1 about 11am and made laps on the front and the fog seemed to have lifted.

did a few runs down larch then corkscrew and even a couple down the face to old chair 5. not

the best snow, but it was carvable and rode hard all day... made some good turns... today was fun...