Note to New Members ×

WTF 2020. 1/17 through 2/1

snowreport: fri feb 07, 2020
howdy all

the fog was really low this morning and going up the hill it was thick on the way up, but it cleared

as we got to the baselodge. mostly sunny skies and big puffy clouds to the southeast and clouds

downlow in the valley. the groomers was really good early in the morning for the first hour then

gets chewed up chunky and with the warm temps then it starts to get wet and spring like soft just

before I took my break at 11am. did a couple runs down the front and it was good, but today was

busy with paper tickets cause there is a lot of out of towners for our winter carnival and I did not

feel safe with people doing crazy stuff. rode hard early and it was really good snow for carving.

made some good turns so it was a fun day... nice comfy temps early then warm when I left...

forecast is 90 percent snow tomorrow, but not much and kinda warm...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat feb 08, 2020
howdy all

high overcast and starts to lightly snow as the mountain opens. the big reported 2 inches overnight.

snowing all morning and about 11:20am a down draft of wind and dumping snow for a chair ride up.

the dumping snow looked like fog it was so puking thick. I was just going to work on vertical and not

carve so much and flew down to make quick laps, but that got boring and started to carve the push piles.

stayed on chair 2 and waited for chair 1 to empty out which was about noon. did a couple down the face

next to the towers cause the wind from the north refilled it smooth. it was fun power carving thru 6 inch

push piles. met a guy from new York as I was leaving and he will be here for a few days. today was fun

and should have brought the softboots, but still had fun on the hardboots. today was a good powder day...

left at 1pm to go down to watch the winter carnival and the theme was the roaring 20's... goodtimes...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sun feb 09, 2020
howdy all

it looked like it was going to be a sunny morning, but it soon becomes high overcast and gets thicker

and lighting gets a little flat. the first run the snow felt really good, but by the second run it felt icy in

spots and kinda sketchy snow. I was thinking it should have been better after yesterdays pow. took

off my warm layer this morning cause I was feeling hot and thought it was going to be a sunny day.

I think I am coming down with the cold that's been going around. I was going to call it around 1pm,

but johnasmo shows up with anna and tim from new York so made a few more runs on chair 2 then

a few on chair 1. they are going to the MCC 2020 tonight... have fun guys...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon feb 10, 2020
howdy all

looked like it might be a sunny day, but soon gets cloudy. vis was good and snow was really good.

wasn't in the best mood cause I am coming down with a sore throat. took it easy early and ended

riding hard. the coiler 165cc kept surprising me, it is a soft board and held an edge when I thought

it couldn't. today's snow was much better than yesterday and a better board would have been more

fun, but I did not have the energy. clouds rolled thru and lighting would get flat at times and some

sun peaks thru now and then. wanted to stay all day, but the old body said no more... made some

good turn and was a really fun day...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 11, 2020
howdy all

got fog? … one of the heaviest thickest fog day I have seen here. it was one chair vis at the bottom

of ed's run all the way up first thing in the morning. the night lights was no help, but it did help when

it cleared a little. guessing where I am going and at least I know where things are and hoping nothing

funny out of the ordinary. so survival mode and when you could see a little terrain in front make some

turns and hope for the best. about an inch plus of new dry snow over a nice smooth groom made it a

super fun day. the not being able to see made it challenging and fun. the groom was good and the

new snow was nice and dry. it wasn't that cold, but the thick fog did not rime up the goggles. carve

when you can see and cruise when it's foggy. snowing off and on and the fog stayed low and very

slowly rises. got up thinking I am not going cause I got a sore throat and I almost wasn't going to go

up, but got ready and felt better so off I went and I am glad I did... a super fun day on the softies...

carved hard... not much people... yeah!... wanted to stay longer, but had a haircut...

rode the 159sg soul from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed feb 12, 2020
howdy all

sorry, but I am going to rant... kinda tired to listen to angry rick bitch'n about everything every day.

we ride the snowbus up and we ride the chair lift up and when we ride he will wait for me as I try

to slow it down to try to lose him. same crap every day, what to do. puts me in a funk and I am tired

of it. then I go to the summit house to take my break and a stupid girl brings her board in and hits my

table and my coco spills on my jacket and I am like what the **** and puts me in a more ****ed up

funk and the summit house is full of out of towners who don't know ski etiquette. now we have the

three day weekend and the Canadians have the whole week coming up... crap... sorry for the rant...

this morning started with a high overcast way above the big and groomers was ok as it was a

little wet and stiff. the coiler did good job and held a great edge and carved hard all morning.

the snow got chewed up and a little soft later in the day. took it easy on my last hour and tried

to forget what a shitty day it was... carving was good... nice comfy temps...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu feb 13, 2020
howdy all

cloudy above the big and clear to the southwest and foggy just on the summit. caught the later

snowbus which is only half hour later just to avoid you know who. anyways, today was really good

groomers and it was good all day. carved hard all morning and by noon the sun comes out and it is

blue sky sunshine and the snow gets a little softer and more carvable. it was nice temps and just

a bit warm, but mostly it was comfy and never felt too cold or too warm. the snow only got lightly

skied off so stayed good all day. it was beautiful with the deep blue sky in the background and the

snow on the trees in the foreground. carving was great and I was doing the dredman elbow to elbow

turns... today was one of the better days...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri feb 14, 2020
howdy all

happy valentines day to all you ladies... in town this morning looking south it was partly sunny

and looking to the north there was a dark cloud over the big and looked like it was lightly snowing.

the cloud stayed just above the summit and vis was kinda good. the groomers wasn't as good as

yesterday and it was bumpy on ed's and other runs. carved good early then got chewed up fast

cause it was kinda busy for a Friday and I think people are coming for this weekend and the

Canadians will be here all week. I will try to go up everyday and at least make a few runs. I will

try to bite my tongue and not get upset and leave when it gets too crazy. the wind started to pick

up about noon and it was getting a little chilly. seems like the groomers just skimmed the surface

and did not even it out... made a few good turns... forecast is snowy weekend then warm end of week...

snowreport: sat feb 15, 2020
howdy all

huge crowds first thing this morning. high overcast and the fog is closer to the summit. I stayed

on chair 2 most of the morning cause the lift line on chair1 was huge. the groomers was good, but

a bit icy in the morning and a lite dusting of dry snow, the lightly skied off snow felt chewed up and

dry. rode the factory prime cause it makes tight turns and it is easy to stop and control on these

busy days. kinda of a weird day as it was busy, but there were times the runs were empty and times

when they all went down at once. did a few chair 1 rides about noon when everyone goes to lunch

and the lift lines was not too bad. today carved good, just trust the edge and the board does its thing.

I wasn't going to stay long, but the carving was good and the crowds didn't bother me and I seemed

to be in a happy bubble... the factory prime felt like a stiff blade after riding the 171ts coiler the last 3 days...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sun feb 16, 2020
howdy all

again expecting huge crowds and with 3 inches new on the summit I brought the softies, but never

made to the summit. the lines on chair 1 was ridiculous so I did not bother to go up. made laps on

chair 2 in the singles line. a little dusting on the soft groom and it got chewed up fast with the huge

crowds. high overcast and some sun trying to peak thru and a slight breeze made for a comfy day.

just taking it easy on the softies and cruised around and carved a little. wanted to stay longer, but

my left foot was getting sore so called it early. the crowds on chair 1 never thinned out, oh well...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: mon feb 17, 2020
howdy all

huge puffy clouds that rolled thru with lite snow and sunshine peaking thru all day. it was nice comfy

temps and snow was better than yesterday. ed's run was very bumpy and it seems like the groomers

did not grind it down and they did not groom some runs on the front. the sun softened the snow when

it was on it and the clouds kept it from really breaking down. snow was ok and carved good, but not

the best. made some good turns and today didn't seem too crowded as there were hardly any young

kids. tomorrow should be better as the weekend warriors go back to work and the kids go back to school.

forecast is some colder nights and some warmer days mid week... kinda of a late start this morning

cause the snowbus lost its breaks near the top by the first parking lot on the cut off... had to walk down...

snowreport: tue feb 18, 2020
howdy all

nice morning and partly sunny to the south and cloudy to the north and on the chilly side. groomers

was kinda good, but seems like they just drag groomer over the surface and not even out the snow.

sunny on the frontside and snowing on the backside in the afternoon. rode the 161 yonex carbon

race board and had an interesting day. the board is a little stiff for me, it carved good, but it wasn't

smooth going into turns cause it is too stiff and straightens out too fast and then decamber on turns.

with all that carbon in the board it made it noisy and my toe side sounded like it was going to wash

out, but if I just trust the edge it holds, it was a bit unnerving. anyways, had fun on it and rode it till 2pm.

I may pull out more boards to see how they ride cause the ones I ride all the time is getting kinda boring.

rode the 161ynx from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed feb 19, 2020
howdy all

knew it was going to be a great carving day cause of clear skies last night and cold temps in the teens.

this morning had some high thin overcast that soon burned off and it was a nice sunny day and no new

snow made for some great groomers. so got the oxygen proton out and it was great on the icy groomers.

it was fun and held a good edge and had to hold back a little and not crank it into a too tight turn. it was

a good board choice for todays condition. had so much fun that I did not take a break and rode hard all

morning. today was really fun... made some really good turns... forecast is sunny the next couple of days...

rode the 164pro from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu feb 20, 2020
howdy all

wow! a truly beautiful bluebird day and colder overnight temps makes for great groomers. today

was good and rode hard first thing and was pooped by noon, but kept going cause it was such a

nice day. I was in my warm layers and never felt overheated even with the sunshining all morning.

the snow got lightly skied off and the groomers stayed good all day. rode chair 2 in the morning

then did a few runs down the front when chair 1 crowds got smaller. went down the old chair 5

then larch then corkscrew a few times and it was good. kinda sketched out mid larch, but made

it thru. the proton held a crazy edge on the icy conditions and I am liking this board... tomorrow

should be the same... today was fun...

rode the 164pro from 9 till 3...

snowreport: fri feb 21, 2020
howdy all

ditto as yesterday, another truly beautiful bluebird day and great icy groomers and gets better

as the day goes on. the mountain groomed the face and everyone bombing down cause it was

groomed good with a little fluff on top. I made a few turns when it was clear of people and had

to stop cause a few bombers flying past me. the mountain is carving really good and the sun

makes it a really nice day. wanted to stay longer, but had an errand to do in town. (pay for 168vsr).

another great carving day... kinda busy with groups of ski clubs from all over the country...

rode the 164pro from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat feb 22, 2020
howdy all

slightly cloudy with a lot of blue sky, but not too much direct sun in the morning. another beautiful

big mountain day. comfy temps and nice soft icy groomers and carved really good. I really need a

day off to rest my old body, but I gotta go every day and ride and always push it pretty hard till my

old body says you need to stop and go home. wanted to stay longer cause it was getting nice and

softer with the warmer temps. it is just starting to get into the spring freeze/thaw, but hope this

weekend brings a new refresh of new snow. crowds on chair 1 was long all morning and I did not

bother to go up and wait in that lift line. I was tired this morning and did not feel it and took it easy

and called it at 12:30pm. the groomers was still good when I left and the lift line on chair 1 wasn't

so bad when I was leaving, but I was done. took it easy and made some nice turns on the easy

pitch... forecast is some snow Sunday and Monday and a slight warm up during the week...

rode the 165cc from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: sun feb 23, 2020
howdy all

high overcast and flat lighting and groomers was ok as it is used up chewed up old snow. a very lite

dusting of new on top kinda held things together. I wasn't in the best mood and kinda just going thru

the motions. carving on the flat spots and not so much on the steeper parts, but I did a few down the

face and larch. kinda busy in the morning then not so much by noon as everyone goes to lunch then

it gets busy again. it was still carving good, but icy crunchy balls in spots and polish ice in spots.

forecast is some snow tonight and a warm up by the end of the week...

snowreport: mon feb 24, 2020
howdy all

the big reported 2 inches overnight, but it was dumping all morning and by the time the big opened

there was about 4 plus inches of lite fluffy snow over hard pack groom. stayed mostly on chair 2 cause

it was kinda busy. did a couple down the front and it was ok, but on the side of my pinky toe on my left

foot was on fire cause there is a little bump that's been there all season. wanted to say longer, but it was

time to give my foot a rest. it was classic big mountain fog and not best as push piles and scraped off

groom made it not fun... forecast is snow tonight...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: tue feb 25, 2020
howdy all

six inches overnight, but early and chair 2 was nice soft groomers and the off groom was pretty good

with yesterdays pow. the soft groom was a little tricky cause you would dig in kinda deep in spots. the

new snow was nice and soft and it was a good change from the groomers. still stayed on the groomers

and tried to do the soft carve then later played in the pow. the fog wasn't so bad and mostly on the summit.

almost bottomless and if you turn too hard or hit the old bumps you would hit the old ice underneath...

had some wine at home then went out last night for a few beers so today i wasn't in the best shape...

my foot hurts in the softboots, but not so bad in the hardboots... good groomers to come...

rode the 159sgs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed feb 26, 2020
howdy all

knew it was going to be good and it was. classic big mountain fog above chair 2 on up and high

overcast. lighting gets flat at times, but mostly good. snow was good and groomers was nice and

smooth and it was better early. wasn't busy and went up chair 1 just after 11am and it was foggy

from the bench on up and slowly creeps down during the day. did a ptarmigan bowl run when it

cleared of fog and one when the top was foggy. mostly running thru the fog till the bench then

carve the lower section like larch and corkscrew. it was getting fun so went for a lunch break and

after I got back on snow the fog got lower and just starts to spit a little snow and the groomers

got a little wet and stiff. today was really fun, but I wasn't feeling it early then got into it later...

it was dumping snow as I left the mountain and huge flakes when I got back home...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 3...

snowreport: thu feb 27, 2020
howdy all

again like yesterday, but the snow was much better and brought the right board. kinda wasn't feeling

it in the morning, but I knew it was going to be good and the good days are numbered as the spring

season is coming up. got used to the board after a couple hours then went up chair 1 and carved

the frontside up. not too crowded and made quick laps and fly thru the fog and carve the bottom

half. it was fun going thru larch and corkscrew and ripping the bottom near the lift. the snow was

nice and soft and smooth and got lightly skied off so stayed good all day. today was fun so had

lunch and stayed all day... one of the better days... forecast is a nice warm day near 50 degrees in

town then a front comes in Saturday with high winds and some rain/snow with slightly cooler temps...

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri feb 28, 2020
howdy all

a beautiful warm sunny morning with some thin clouds that soon burns off and then it was truly

a beautiful bluebird day. good groomers that quickly softens and gets wet and the new snow from

yesterday gets chopped up and chewed up and breaks off the top layer of snow and the ice layer

gets soft and carveable then it gets too chopped up. did a few runs with angry rick first thing and

his ranting gets old so I go to chair 3 without saying anything just to get away from him. did a couple

runs there then did a couple runs down the front on chair 1  then as I hot dog down the very bottom

near the first tower I clip a skier and tangle his skis and he flies forward and double ejects and I stayed

up right and waited near the gates and made sure he was alright and shook his hand and apologized.

I felt so bad I did not want to board anymore so went to the backside and did caribou to slow down

then did a few down chair 2 to kill time for the one o'clock snow bus. by noon the snow was so soft

and my last run of my day at 1pm it was wet and sticky slow. it will be messed up grooming and firm

ice in the morning if its gets cold enough... not the best day...

snowreport: sat feb 29, 2020
howdy all

happy leap day! after yesterdays meltdown this morning was frozen ice. looked like it might be a

sunny day as there was blue sky to the southwest and cloudy to the northeast, but the clouds slowly

builds and kept blocking the sun and kept the ice frozen all day. got ready in the village then went to

chair 3 first to avoid the morning crowds. the groom was very firm and barely made a mark on it.

on chair 2 it was the same, but it was better after it got skied off into powdered sugar. there was a cold

wind and that kept the snow dry and icy. just sliding around and making quick laps and picking rubbish

like a ski pole that was broken into four parts and just buried on the surface and other misc things.

looked like the sun was going to come out, but it stayed just behind the clouds and the snow never

got soft. went to the backside and the snow was better and everyone was there so back to the front

and toni matt was crazy frozen ice yet people were flying down and if they had to stop quickly I don't

think they could. I was taking my time down and the photo girl says this is really scary as people were

sliding fast past her. back on chair 2 just to kill time to wait for the one o'clock snowbus...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...