Note to New Members ×

Kids on hardboots

jng

My 10 year old started snowboarding last year, and after years as a mediocre skier, was hitting legit double blacks by end of one season. Now he has decided independently to try hardbooting. I would love to hear some stories from other parents about the transition to hardbooting for their kids. How old? What have you done to promote their growth on hardboots?

FYI, up in the PNW, racing gates is just for skiers. If you had luck convincing ski race programs to take on a snowboarder, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Hi JNG,

I don't have any personal tales, but I do have a 10 year old who asked if he could give carving a go.  I saw at Camelback in PA that they have a serious racing program filled with little kids on carving boards.  Their coach might bed a good resource as I know that his son and two daughters race and ride on hard boots.

• Like 1

My kid started skiing (because she insisted) at about age 2 (like me 😁). At age 5 or so she added snowboarding in softboots. At 9 she tried hardboots and liked them better. No problems at all. Of course, she continued on the same board - a standard cambered freeride board for kids.  

• Like 1

There are vids around here whether in the Yo LCI thread or the video section of KarverKai (KK).

KK started riding on a Virus Rookie 99 around 8yrs old. He did this on softies due to being so small for his age. There is a vid of his first run on HBs here from maybe 2013 (10yrs old). He was riding Salomon ski boots which I modified to make softer.

I tried to make every day about FUN with some learning thrown in. One really big benefit I believe, that KK had that most other kids may not have, is to be surrounded by other carvers. KK was able to tap into the experiences of all the LCI members, especially when he got sick of hearing "dad" tell him how to ride better.

After he finally started growing, KK got a Virus 137 GS. He rode and progressed with that board till he got big enough to test an SG 157 SL from HillB. He loved that SG. He is currently riding my old Hot Blast 158 SL and slaying the hill on it. At this point he is not a fan of SBs but that may change in the future.

Keep it fun and hopefully have others around to be the "Village" to help with the HB growth.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ink

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, inkaholic said:

Keep it fun and hopefully have others around to be the "Village" to help with the HB growth

There have been seasons when I have seen no other hardbooters locally, so my son will effectively double the population of the village. I was a part-time instructor in the past so there's a temptation to go into training mode, but it's always good advice to focus on fun first.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, pmorita said:

Hi JNG,

I don't have any personal tales, but I do have a 10 year old who asked if he could give carving a go.  I saw at Camelback in PA that they have a serious racing program filled with little kids on carving boards.  Their coach might bed a good resource as I know that his son and two daughters race and ride on hard boots.

Marian Dziak is his name. 

• Like 1

My daughter was for some days on softboots but for some reasons I had in my house the boots of Roland Fischnaller and she asked me if she can try them, of course on the carpet, she was 9!
She said, it's easyer with this ones!
So I have found almost everything for her and now she is learning on hardboots.

If somebody could be interested I'm selling a SG 125

Took my son out for his first runs on hardboots yesterday. He struggled through a few runs before switching to softboots, then said, "Hardbooting makes me ride softboots better." I said something similar when I first started hardbooting. Creepy.

He's going to try again, so I'll call it a success!

• Like 1

My son has been riding hardboots since he was 7. Finding his fist boots and an alpine small enough was a challenge, but now, 5 years later he loves running the gates.

My biggest challenge now is getting him coaching from hardbooters as most coaches love the softies and getting him gate time for training 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, jng said:

FYI, up in the PNW, racing gates is just for skiers. If you had luck convincing ski race programs to take on a snowboarder, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

When I lived in the Seattle area I had a lot of fun racing (as a snowboarder) in the CityLeague Team program, however the minimum age is 16 - http://www.cityleague.com/ski/ihow.shtml

The USASA races in the Central Oregon Series (at Mt. Bachelor) seem to be the only ongoing/surviving snowboard SL and GS events in the PNW - https://www.centraloregonusasa.com

For snowboard race coaching in the PNW there's http://www.snowperformance.com and I coach at Mt. Bachelor.

Don Richter

@noschoolrider Thanks for the tips! I race CityLeague now. My son will join their Friday night kids program next year. They're the only ski program that will take kids. The other more traditional ski programs have said no. We are planning on hitting Bachelor for USASA in Dec. 

On 1/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Puhutes said:

Here are some of our family pics... All of them can ski! Ages 8, 6 and 3. 

Our oldest tried softboots a few years back and hardboots the first time last year. 

Luckily (because we didn't have extra skis) our daughter was totally excited to try the snowboard the first time last weekend 🤗

Where did you get bindings that small?  I'm looking for some for one of my grandsons.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:22 PM, jng said:

After assembling a setup from far and wide, here's my grom on day 5 on hardboots. Wish I started him on a board earlier. 

https://youtu.be/UI0nTrwLNlY

He's off to a great start! 

I'd like to transition my 7 year old grandson to hard boots.  Can you recommend a source for bindings that small?

12 hours ago, patmoore said:

He's off to a great start! 

I'd like to transition my 7 year old grandson to hard boots.  Can you recommend a source for bindings that small?

Hey, thanks for the question. Our kids use their skiboots still for hardboot setup. If the ski or snowboard hardboot are big enough... The F2 Carver RS 

https://www.f2.com/snow/bindings.php?L=&da=1928&dk=47&db=11&name=CARVE RS

Or, if you can find one... a Burton without a metal base (carrier See pic) 

Carrier.jpeg

Riding on this post, does mountain slope plan to made a kid's/small female 951 version in ~20-21cm? (probably with cheaper plastic?)

There are many Asian girls in 155 height/ 21-22 feet. There is no hardboots gonna fit them properly.

• 1 year later...

It's never too early or too late to start with snowboarding. That's why we offer snowboards for all ages. 🤙

For junior shredders we offer numerous options so you definitely won't have to do it yourself. 😉

VIRUS Rookie (from 99cm on) for first alpine snowboard experiencevirus-kid.jpg.4c5f19bf006f008f7b44596644e0d184.jpg

and for more ambitious kids  
VIRUS SL Race (sizes 101, 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 cm) 
VIRUS BX Junior(sizes 135, 145 cm)virus-race-kid.jpg.dfc1ff4ad0e2929c6d07fab3806c64ed.jpg

MOUNTAIN SLOPE Alpine Kids 102cm in combo with new F2 Carbon Race bindings 
mountain_slope_alpine_kid_102_small.jpg.084796bb200494d4f9e4aa0309f071f4.jpg

SG Full Speed (sizes 130, 140 cm) 

sg_fullspeed_2020_2021_small.jpg.b325c747d569518ec0e5225705c2f53e.jpg

F2 Speedster SL Equipe Junior (sizes 131, 139, 145 cm) 

f2_speedster_sl_small.jpg.9c15a06d1dec0804f5f803bdf536e244.jpg

OXESS RS (sizes 137, 145 cm) 
No photo

More info available at store@i-carve.com .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1