Note to New Members ×

A must have tool for carving travel

daveo

Bumping this thread. 

I've had a tool similar to Dakine Torque driver but it failed.  

I like the Dakine Stance, but feel it will lack leverage when needed.  Esp as has bonus tape measure. 

Burton EST tool is on clearance locally but you're limited to two bits.  I'd like both Philips and allen key bits so bit storage would be good. 

Burton Bullet looks decent but perhaps as mentioned, limiting with lack of clearance.

Any other decent options? 

51E5IUP9xDL._AC_SL1311_.jpg

618cmc6aqZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

burton-est-tool-black-chrome-cc336b1b-db32-4ab4-bbc9-d44f25493e0b-jpgrendition.jpg

I have that green Dakine Stance and don’t love it. You have to screw the back cap off to get at the bits (which are easily lost) and the cap can twist off if you happen to be unscrewing a tight bolt (you can’t just press down on the end of the screwdriver or the cap will unscrew—you need to hold the sides). 

Multiple tool head standards on equipment can go die in a fire. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gawdzira said:

@slabber where are you ordering that screwdriver? Quick internet search comes up dry.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005204900147.html

Chinese characters were the hint for my search.

Alternative: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004860451573.html

Edited by nextcarve

33 minutes ago, nextcarve said:

Yup, Aliexpress.  Japanese katakana chars actually on this unit.

This is the vendor i ordered from:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005931993424.html?

The alternative comes with a bit selection that is not as useful in my mind.  

The one I ordered has M4, M5 and M6 hex bits which I prefer over the bits in the orange unit.  I thought the bit storage on the orange might be better but the hex bits sold me on the other. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Donnelly said:

On Aliexpress, need to be careful to ensure  you're looking at the price for the 'selected' model in case there are multiple variants. 

That vendor has the picture of the more expensive unit showing in the preview but it's more expensive than my seller when you have the right model selected.   Also some are 'free shipping' whereas others that appear cheaper initially have shipping extra. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Garmin watch. Tells me how many calories I burned and how high my HR spikes when I scream at someone on the slopes.

On that theme, there's one thing I always carry.... an old hotel door entry card, for scraping the ice off the bottom of my board. If you sit on a board at lunch time that warms the base, after which snow tends to stick to it. Guaranteed that card gets used every day to remove that stuck snow.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So this tool didn't pass the test for me.  It's actually pretty good overall but the bit holder was too 'fat' to allow the bit to reach the screw in my sidewinder toe block.

As seen in the photo, the opening narrows and the standard bit isn't long enough to reach the screw without the bit socket hitting the sides.  I need to use a standard T-handle for this specific setup.

PXL_20231209_032224527.jpg.eead18e34e16a46fae8e499eb878d114.jpg

Edited by slabber
typo
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, slabber said:

So this tool didn't pass the test for me.  It's actually pretty good overall but the bit holder was too 'fat' to allow the bit to reach the screw in my sidewinder toe block.

As seen in the photo, the opening narrows and the standard bit isn't long enough to reach the screw without the bit socket hitting the sides.  I need to use a standard T-handle for this specific setup.

PXL_20231209_032224527.jpg.eead18e34e16a46fae8e499eb878d114.jpg

Fixed with longer bit 😎

PXL_20231228_210537197_MP.jpg.1865995bfdaad84bf1e6238efaae187b.jpg

On 12/12/2023 at 8:35 AM, *Ace* said:

I have one of these collecting dust on the shelf. Look the upcoming thread in the classifieds or PM me. 

I’m curious why? Do you happen to have an extra one, or you don’t find the Wax Whizard / SkiMD Pro-Glide useful? 

I think this tool is a very quick and easy way to get wax on a board and is especially useful and convenient when traveling. 

Burton EST tool is my favorite for Phillips screws. It's a lump of metal in your pocket, but not a pointy one at least.

SG plate bindings use one size hex head and come with an L key which fits under the removable cover of the binding. I wrapped mine in some electrical tape to prevent it from rattling. Pretty awesome I think.

Still searching for a multi bit system I like for splitboarding. Cycling tools seem like the way to go.