Note to New Members ×

A must have tool for carving travel

daveo

They're nice! Where you get that from? Little bit of an impale hazard perhaps 🤣

On the hill I carry this and a few other little things in a small lift pass pouch in my hydration pack. I like the little moment arm extender thing.

10801100001_1.png?impolicy=bglt&imwidth=

Edited by daveo

Ouch. That sucks. Actually, that's the worst. 

I just use a hydration pack with a little lift pass pouch inside with a small number of finger sized tools. Had a few bladders in the past burst but this brand Geigerrig (sp?) hasn't missed a beat yet. 

Oh except for when I tried an extreme carve, loaded up my tail and flew into the sky and landed on it on my back while spinning and ripped a strap, which I just knotted to reattach it. Bladder is fine though. Still using the same pack today. Recommend their products.

I hate getting dehy on the mountain. 

Edited by daveo

25 minutes ago, daveo said:

The only thing in my pockets is chocolate! 

You can probably trade chocolate for tools/assistance.    

I carry this tiny bike multi-tool.  Would suck to completely strip a TD3, but it would let me limp home if something went wrong. 

10 hours ago, Corey said:

You can probably trade chocolate for tools/assistance.    

I carry this tiny bike multi-tool.  Would suck to completely strip a TD3, but it would let me limp home if something went wrong. 

I had one like that, but didn't like that the heads can not be fixed in extended position, they move all the time... 

Burton's tool with the side arm is ok, but sometimes can not reach certain screws, as the head is to close to the body of the handle. 

I find this type of tool to be ideal: 

p_1000838390.jpg

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

I had one like that, but didn't like that the heads can not be fixed in extended position, they move all the time... 

Burton's tool with the side arm is ok, but sometimes can not reach certain screws, as the head is to close to the body of the handle. 

I find this type of tool to be ideal: 

p_1000838390.jpg

Yeah I can see the Burton tool getting in the way of some bolts. Seems okay with what I've got now, though.

I have one similar to your Husky, but could not apply enough torque to undo a binding bolt once. I did it up in the snow when adjusting a few things. I guess when it got back to normal temp it expanded or something. My mate's Burton handled it fine though, so I got my own. 

On 12/10/2018 at 4:20 PM, daveo said:

I like the look of this tool, also. But same issue as yours @Corey.

FIDGETTOOL-GREEN-610934187847_10001557_G

I've got that one and it rocks.  The hex is too small for anything, but the PZ2 bit grips really well.  Fits anywhere and you don't know it's there.  If you're the type that is constantly adjusting things after every run you might want something that is a bit more hand-friendly, but this is a really good tool to have for emergencies.

I have a tool similar to the one that BlueB showed, but the handle can also pivot into an "L" shape for more torque if needed to get something loose.  To avoid the risk of impaling myself on the tool in a fall. I keep it plus a couple of other ice scraping devices (for binding clogs when the temperature is near freezing) in a very small fanny pack that I attach to the front of my front boot.  The waist strap on the fanny pack is too long, so I just wrap it around the boot twice.  I also have a couple of paper clips handy to dig ice out of socket heads if needed.

Tool_Pouch.jpg.6c334a277f4c5e5e518e5c29f50b2123.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/13/2018 at 6:38 PM, daveo said:

The bits are removable and replaceable...

Afaict there is a version with fixed bits ("Fix It Sticks Originals - with permanently installed steel bits") and one with exchangeable bits ("Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition"). But the replaceable edition seems to be somehow the worst of two worlds, less compact than other tools but still with lots of pieces that are easy to lose.

I have Stix with replaceable, and magnets keep them nice in place, never lost any heads.

I say that only impovement could be that basic heads would be magnetic so they would keep them linked togethere when not in use.

Otherwise it is already best tool i have seen.

OK it is missing bottle opener, but having one extra pice of my favourite ones, Pozidrive 3, Hex 4, 13mm nut opener, is no issue 🙂

Edited by pokkis
  • Like 1