Note to New Members ×

Boot setup recommendations?

Dw3

On 2/26/2019 at 7:26 AM, ScottAndrews said:

Centred, symmetrical duck, 32cm x 168cm twin tip. Nobody, and I mean nobody can keep up with me in the powdery glades.

Yawn. Ever hear of Jeremy Jones, Terje Haakonsen, Xavier de le Rue? See the stances of top softboot riders and explain how duck is the best way for everyone.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/set-up-maintenance/pro-snowboarder-stances-binding-angles.html#RowwC8HckbJUjv8s.97

And that chart above? Yes those three top level riders ride double positive, however I noticed that virtually everyone else in that list, rides duck.

I personally find that I have better balance by riding, and carving, at least slightly duck, when in soft boots. I ride my hard boots on my alpine boards with a forward stance, and raced up to World Cup level.  Competing at SBX, I kept a little duck on my back foot for the sake of stability. If, without a board attached, you jump into the air and land, you generally land duck, not with both feet forward. 

Duck for freeriding helps me absorb unseen terrain abnormalities and undulations. Same with carving in softs, where the boots don’t absorb as much as hards. 

Different horses for different course... I use what works best, depending on the board, boots, snow conditions and my goals at the time. 

In the video? Front 21, rear -9...

Edited by Emdee406
Edit
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Emdee406 said:

If, without a board attached, you jump into the air and land, you generally land duck, not with both feet forward. 

I am pretty sure that when most of us are riding and jumping our boards that our shoulders and hips, at the very least, have a forward bias. Our knees probably too, and maybe even the ankles. I don't think they are all perfectly aligned and completely parallel with our board lengthwise, like when we jump around in our living room.

So having your upper body aligned with the lower as much as possible is what I think is best  to have  everything work together without pain, no matter your prefered angles. I have always ridden double positive on all my boards (24°/27°/30° on front and 3°/6°/9° on rear, depending on board) cause that is what feels good and painless to me, mainly because I like riding (and jumping up until a couple years ago Haa! Haa! Ha!) with a slightly open upper body.

If I jump around in my living room without a board, and with my front foot slightly in front of me and the rear one slightly behing me, that's the same stance I use and it isn't duck... 🙂

• Like 2

Martin, I appreciate your perspective. Specifically what I am looking at is the inward rotation of the rear leg on heel side turns. There's a photo of WinterGold in another duck stance thread looking very similar you in the video. You guys can do this, but I don't think many people would be comfortable in, or even able to get in that position. That's a lot of torque on the rear ankle. The AASI video shows the reduced heel side edge angle if the rear leg isn't rotated inward (along with the hips).

emdee.jpg

Edited by BobD

@BobD personally I don’t really feel torque in my ankle, in the screen grab above, there’s a lot of rotation in my hip, but I don’t see much in my ankle? 🤷🏾‍♂️

@WinterGold - what do you think about all this Gerald? 

@Mig I take your point, I hear what you say. I guess in my situation, as Bobd says, I’m thinking as an instructor, and therefore also thinking about my goofy students/trainees... I need, as a Full-Cert/Trainer/Examiner, to be able to do everything switch as well, so for me, duck stance for carving, HAS to work 🤣

I’ve always been double posi in hards, duck in softs (at least for the last 15yrs), but I am experimenting with my carving double posi on my new Coiler soft boot hammerhead...if it ever stops snowing here! I find though that I’m having to go at least 15 on the back, otherwise I boot out on layed out heelsides, so it’s all or nothing. Maybe when the snow gets firmer again, I can lessen that. 

20 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

Different horses for different course... I use what works best, depending on the board, boots, snow conditions and my goals at the time. 

I love that statement!

That is exactly what I am doing. As I am doing less jumping and slope tricks now, my angles also changed. There are advantages for all kinds of setups and it is difficult to give recommendations, because our anatomies are quite different.

But I adjust according to my goals. At the moment I am testing/co developing the new P-1 by Oxess. It is so much fun for carving, so I went double positive, because I want a relaxed forward oriented riding position. I used mostly 18/6 and 24/12 for testing.

What I don´t like is having to adjust my angles according to the board (being not wide enough) and not to my needs/preferences.

Going to a dedicated freestyle board I would still rock my 18/-6 stance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emdee406 said:

if it ever stops snowing here!

Wow... Just wow... :AR15firin:flamethro

Not that I'm angry about our poor season or anything... OR AM I?!?!??!!

25 minutes ago, WinterGold said:

At the moment I am testing/co developing the new P-1 by Oxess.

Sooo. I've been talking to Marcel about it for the past few months and I'm thinking of getting a 23.5cm wide version (for freeride hardboots) with Titanal/Ptex construction (I like damp...) in 170ish long. What do you think? Can it work?

On 3/8/2019 at 8:12 AM, jng said:

Yawn. Ever hear of Jeremy Jones, Terje Haakonsen, Xavier de le Rue? See the stances of top softboot riders and explain how duck is the best way for everyone.

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/set-up-maintenance/pro-snowboarder-stances-binding-angles.html#RowwC8HckbJUjv8s.97

Oh, did I say it was the best way for everyone, or are you just making assumptions?

Tell me, if today you decided to ride switch 90% of the time, no longer your current goofy/regular leading stance but the opposite, would you change your stance to compliment that? Of course you would.

Now for someone like me who learned goofy but taught himself to ride regular as well as he rides goofy, a symmetrical duck stances makes the most sense. It is a common ground between two interchangeable lead stances.

Don’t mistake my stoke on what works for me, as an insistence on what should work for you, or any one else.

And just because pros ride a certain way, does not make it ideal for everyone either, it makes it ideal for how they ride. If you go to pros in a park setting, you will find wide, duck footed stances on twin boards, with little nose and tail, because this aids stability, transitions and nimbleness, as well as the ability to ride equally in both directions. I choose to adopt this to the powdery glades where I spend my winter, and it serves the purpose I was looking for.

The way I see it, is comparable to why fighter jets are not fully designed to be aerodynamically stable, if you don’t know what I am talking about, look it up.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:39 AM, BobD said:

...The AASI video shows the reduced heel side edge angle if the rear leg isn't rotated inward (along with the hips)....

That AASI video just looks lame to me. Perhaps that's because it's an instructor demonstrator thing, but that's not something I could aspire to. It's not why it was posted, but I wonder if that doesn't explain why most softboot people don't carve - it looks really silly, if you're set up that way. Who would want to learn to ride like that?

I know Martin also teaches, but he has a much more fluid style there: it looks "right". I'm not sure about the arms, mind 😉

People who take a dogmatic position on stances are probably inexperienced and scared of what they don't know. Hard boot people should fight that, because mostly we are what they don't know.

I've ridden bottomless powder with several people on the above list and a few more famous snowboarders. Not one of them has ever mentioned my set up. For that kind of crazy, you need the internet.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1