Note to New Members ×

Help identifying old boards

patmoore

A friend gave me a couple of old boards today.  I'm curious how old they are.

Burton Wire 162 with  a strange Marker binding on it and a Rossignol 149

413848124.jpg

413848125.jpg

413848126.jpg

413848127.jpg

413848128.jpg

413848129.jpg

The inscription on the Marker Binding says "Unlike alpine ski bindings, these snowboard bindings are not designed to release in the event of a fall or a collision"

Ironically, this is the second Rossi board I've acquired.  I gave my #3 Grandson this 120 cm  model.  

413848146.jpg

It won't be long before he's ready to try it.

413848162.jpg

Edited by patmoore

28 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yeah...I had a Rossi Race like that but a 170 ish I believe...it was a fun board... from late 90's before I got my Sims Descender or Sims Daytona which were both from 2000/01 

I should remember that.  I bought my first alpine board in 1997 - a 154 cm Hot Shine (and still have it).

I'm sure I've never seen bindings like that though.

41 minutes ago, patmoore said:

I'm sure I've never seen bindings like that though.

They are Marker's DNR bindings.  They gets used with DNR boots, side step-in, heavy as hardboots, stiff as hardboots, came with 2 interchangeable plastic tongues for flex.  I used them for 7-8 years for its convenience.  It released on me on big-air jump once and broke.  Marker replaced with new one.  But the second one was the binding-boot combo that broke my ankle when I had the nose-dive after a jump.  It didn't release but my front knee hit snow (+50' bindings angle) while the binding, boots, and board were still intact.  (pulled the inserts tho). I believe Marker made them for Santa Cruz too. 

1 hour ago, piusthedrcarve said:

They are Marker's DNR bindings.  They gets used with DNR boots, side step-in, heavy as hardboots, stiff as hardboots, came with 2 interchangeable plastic tongues for flex.  I used them for 7-8 years for its convenience.  It released on me on big-air jump once and broke.  Marker replaced with new one.  But the second one was the binding-boot combo that broke my ankle when I had the nose-dive after a jump.  It didn't release but my front knee hit snow (+50' bindings angle) while the binding, boots, and board were still intact.  (pulled the inserts tho). I believe Marker made them for Santa Cruz too. 

DNR - a  medical term for Do Not Resuscitate. Boy did we give the regional Marker Rep a ton of crap for that. Those bindings were doomed to the dustbin of history. Any boots that fit are so brittle by now they will break on the first run. Thanks for the memory jog!

Specs From some old catalogs

E975E883-2CB6-44BA-A4F9-E8B20C9380EE.thumb.jpeg.38318d9c750b00595283c0c0a55a70a5.jpeg9357C1C9-B213-478B-91D9-425B3E4FEAA4.thumb.jpeg.9451266b7a670781f1110b861b18a7f8.jpeg

I wonder if the dualtec throttle with your grandson is a 146?   I rode one of those for a while and it was really fun back when I was 165 pounds. I  also used to have a 167 of the vintage in your top photo. It was my favorite board until I acquired a quiver of Generics race boards.  Those Rossi’s had a foam core that  lost their life after a few years of riding. 

The wire might be a good all mountain board. I think @bumpyride likes those.  May be similar to a Coil. 

Edited by bigwavedave

I think the eDeck became Wire, thus a bit wider then Alp/Coil. Yeah, should be pretty good all-mountain. 

There is a difference between Throttle "arrow tail" and the "cloudy tail". The later is foam core and known for going dead, the former is still foam, but very fancy 2-layer 2-(hi)densities with longitudinal inserts of high tensile wires/rods encased in broad rubber strips. 

7 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Specs From some old catalogs

E975E883-2CB6-44BA-A4F9-E8B20C9380EE.thumb.jpeg.38318d9c750b00595283c0c0a55a70a5.jpeg9357C1C9-B213-478B-91D9-425B3E4FEAA4.thumb.jpeg.9451266b7a670781f1110b861b18a7f8.jpeg

I wonder if the dualtec throttle with your grandson is a 146?   I rode one of those for a while and it was really fun back when I was 165 pounds. I  also used to have a 167 of the vintage in your top photo. It was my favorite board until I acquired a quiver of Generics race boards.  Those Rossi’s had a foam core that  lost their life after a few years of riding. 

The wire might be a good all mountain board. I think @bumpyride likes those.  May be similar to a Coil. 

The wire was stiffer and less lively than the coil.  Had them both.  My son, however, liked the wire, but he had 40 lbs. on me.