Note to New Members ×

BTS vs Stock Deelux

2012Alpine1

What's my advantage using BTS over stock Deelux ? I have a set that are fixed and they work well but are very uncomfortable after like 2 hrs . Are they a combination of the two? Not really having any problems with the stock ones,  but inquiring mind would like to know!! Thanks

BTS lets you tune the stiffness of the boot.  The stock adjusters just provide a fixed angle and then the  deformation of the plastic boot controls stiffness.  A side benefit for me is that I always got shin-bang, a painful bruise on the front of my shin, and that went away with BTS.  

I used to use Deeluxe's AF600 boot (my weight is about 150lbs). With the stock mechanism on 4 on the front on 3 on the rear. Had 2 problems with the boot. 1) too soft when it was very warm outside 2) when I would make my first runs on a mountain my foot would ache super bad as I found it was the lower shell stiffness was just too low and the boot would actually bend quite a bit in the binding (TD1,2,3).

Solution: T700 boot. MUCH stiffer boot. Never once have I had a problem with foot pain and it's been at least 5 years. But a new problem occurred immediately. My AF600 actually had a failure in March one year in Aspen so I drove over to Bomber in Silverthorne and bought the T700's. Fin didnt have the BTS's in stock. Took the boots back to Aspen and even though it was 60F at the base and 45F at the summit I basically could not bend the boot on toeside with the stock mechanism locked on 4/3 front/rear. Too stiff. When the BTS's came I put all blue's in the front boot and yellow (soft) in the rear boot toeside. Exact flex I want and the shell doesnt deform. Also, the failure of the first boot will not happen (the AF600 is so soft when it's warm out that the hinge pivot rivot joint deformed enough to fail the rivot). BTS also has a more even flex when in warm AND cold conditions as it doesnt rely on flexing the plastic so much...the spring does the work of the flex (mostly). Even with the stiffest springs (red) the boot will be softer than the stock mechanism.

I have alot of forward lean in the rear boot and it still works for split boarding too :). Made it to the top of A-basin in my AF700's with Fin in January with no issues with the boot.

10 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

I can't imagine riding in any Deeluxe boot without BTS.

I went to UPZ a number of years ago, but I agree with this statement. BTS made Deeluxe boots useable for me.

I don't know if the RAB spring system for Deeluxe boots can still be found, but a spring system is really important for most riders.

Maybe everyone will order the ACSS? I don't know much about it.

Wish these were still available...would like to try some different springs.  To echo what others have already said, I went from 324's to 700's.  I'm 225 lbs and I could not flex the damn things...but I ride lower angles than most, and their beauty is that they are stiff laterally...great for higher angles.  I went yellow top/bottom on both boots and it's night and day.  Only issue, and it's not really an issue, is that on hard heel or toe sides, my rear boot makes a popping noise, which is the spring I guess slipping in/out of its little housing.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:33 AM, Aracan said:

The stock RAB may make sense for stronger riders. For me, then at something like 145 lbs, it was like a blocked system, even with the softer spring.

We had the same issue with the too stiff soft springs. I just bought a collection of different softer springs for my wife's RAB system. It wasn't a RAB specific spring. You can get any flex you want.