Note to New Members ×

Burton Step On

Corran

9 minutes ago, BXFR70 said:

I am really curious on what comes out of this. 

One question, was your wife able to step in, and then "lean" back and watch the toe cleats move upward a centimeter or 2 in the slots before contacting the top of the binding?  That is what I experienced. 

The placement of the toe cleat on the boots in above picture is very different from the location of the toe cleats on the boots I had.  This is why I am very curious. To be perfect, the toe cleat location on each boot needs to be the same relative to binding (seems simple, but doesn't seem to be working that way), or there needs to be way more binding sizes.

Not as much as 2cm - more like 7-8mm. But a smaller boot and binding probably has less potential for movement. 2mm is too much... never mind 8mm.

Essentially larger boots will have the toe wedge further back from the toe in order to fit into the same U reciever on the base plate. The closer to the toe, the less movement up and down the boot will have. So bigger feet = more movement.

5 hours ago, Mig said:

Tell them:

- There is a market for a Driver X Step-On

its coming

5 hours ago, Mig said:

- That the release system should be at the top of the hiback like you and others did.

yup

5 hours ago, Mig said:

-That the heelcup and mech should be higher for better carving clearance.

lower-  on the base plate, but out of the way

5 hours ago, Mig said:

- To add hiback rotation in the upper part (where forward lean adjusters are) or a wing option to compensate.

yeah

- Make disks that go a bit higher in angle choice.

no shit. 30 deg...? really?

5 hours ago, Mig said:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Corran said:

Not as much as 2cm - more like 7-8mm. But a smaller boot and binding probably has less potential for movement. 2mm is too much... never mind 8mm.

Essentially larger boots will have the toe wedge further back from the toe in order to fit into the same U reciever on the base plate. The closer to the toe, the less movement up and down the boot will have. So bigger feet = more movement.

To clarify a little bit I did not take as much notice on the distance from the end of the boot but the cleats were located much higher on the boots I had. Where the cleats on the boot in the picture are almost into the side of the sole, mine were located more towards the top of the boot.

I'm glad you got much more response then I did from Burton

54 minutes ago, Corran said:

yup

lower-  on the base plate, but out of the way

no shit. 30 deg...? really?

I know there's a Ion coming for 2019. I guess the Driver X will come for 2020 or later.

Did they confirm to you the option of a top of hiback release system, and the moving of the mech lower and out of the way on the baseplate? Or are these your own wishes/solutions?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop with your discusions with Burton on this.

Edited by Mig

38 minutes ago, Mig said:

I know there's a Ion coming for 2019. I guess the Driver X will come for 2020 or later.

Did they confirm to you the option of a top of hiback release system, and the moving of the mech lower and out of the way on the baseplate? Or are these your own wishes/solutions?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop with your discusions with Burton on this.

Sorry I meant Ion which is actually really As stiff in my opinion 

I've got some driver x. Bought some ions yesterday. They were much stiffer too stiff. I took them back (my race boots are the stiffer you'l eeen ffnd bbt iI want more flex for riding a surf shape) 

So I suppose it depends on the boot year. 

In my experience the Ions are mid flex and the Driver X's are stiff. Over time both kinda went softer.

I'm bummed that the ones they chose to do next are the Ions. Great boots but waaaaay overpriced. I mean it makes sense for them but definitely won't make me buy into the system.

3 hours ago, west carven said:

burton step on... did it stink... 

My 2 cents...............No, didn't stink..... I could ride it,  but not Drive It like my hardboot setups.......and I was using Power Plates with it!   It's a step up in performance from soft boots...but a step down, or two!  from hardboots.   I just could not see going backwards performance wise....(but it was nice to drive in soft boots, walk to the lift in softboots).....so I sent them back!

I would try it again in a year or two after they get it more refined..............and I would try it with Geckos instead of Power Plates.

Obviously if you're preferring hard boots then the whole step on is moot. For 25 years every year I'd jump on a soft boot system, hate it and be back on my race board. It didn't matter how stiff the soft boots were, they were not stiff enough. If I wanted (or needed) something "easier" than my race board I just skied.  Only when the surfing boards arrived did my interest peak up, and then I've found I actually don't want super stiff boards - I want to push the board around under me like I'm standing barefoot on a surfboard and have gravitated towards softer soft boots. You definitely give up carving and edge hold - no doubt, but what i gain in being able to "surf" through bump runs, across mixed crud, do slashing lip turns on the slope edges and basically... well, surf down the mountain... was worth the sacrifice in pure carve. If I want to carve, I'll take my race board.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Corran said:

Obviously if you're preferring hard boots then the whole step on is moo

Well, in my situation the Step On experiment was driven solely by convenience, not performance... as I work on the Mtn. most every day...in hardboots...and as I mentioned  it was So nice to drive to the Mtn. in soft boots, walk through the village in softboots,  walk to the lift in softboots, etc.   But the Step On's aren't there yet performance wise for me to make  the convenience pay off.........

46 minutes ago, Corran said:

You definitely give up carving and edge hold - no doubt, but what i gain in being able to "surf" through bump runs, across mixed crud, do slashing lip turns on the slope edges and basically... well, surf down the mountain

With my pow/surf setup - Moss PQ60 and TD3 SW SI's and Deluxe super soft 325's hardboots I don't give up any carving or edge hold and I can still surf and pump surf through waist deep pow or slash lip turns and then jump back out on the groom and lay down a wicked tight carve......all on the same run!!                    I love it!!    

2 hours ago, Corran said:

Obviously if you're preferring hard boots then the whole step on is moot. For 25 years every year I'd jump on a soft boot system, hate it and be back on my race board. It didn't matter how stiff the soft boots were, they were not stiff enough. If I wanted (or needed) something "easier" than my race board I just skied.  Only when the surfing boards arrived did my interest peak up, and then I've found I actually don't want super stiff boards - I want to push the board around under me like I'm standing barefoot on a surfboard and have gravitated towards softer soft boots. You definitely give up carving and edge hold - no doubt, but what i gain in being able to "surf" through bump runs, across mixed crud, do slashing lip turns on the slope edges and basically... well, surf down the mountain... was worth the sacrifice in pure carve. If I want to carve, I'll take my race board.

Well said.  If you want hard boot performance for carving - well, use hardboots.  

I did all of the above for the first 20 years of snowboarding, so you and I are coming at this from opposite sides.  :)  It's all better than bowling/ice fishing/knitting/whatever.  

I had a very constructive conversation with Burton and they are certainly working on some ideas to solve the various issues that many people have brought up. I'm sending them some test ideas that they'll look at along with others they were already working on.

Corran

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...