Note to New Members ×

Plates in Olympics

daveo

So I saw Allflex plates and one other one. The mounts seemed a bit more pronounced but that's all I know. They seemed to be mounted to the F2 boards, it seemed. 2nd and 3rd in the women's race had this plate I think. Anyone know what it is? 

Edited by daveo

Look for photos of the 3 female medallists holding their boards. I think you'll conclude the plate you thought was different is an Allflex variant. 

Notable that of the 6 medallists, only the Korean was on Kessler. Two F2s, two Oxess, and an SG. But all looked like they were on Allflex plates.

Can you link me that photo? I can't seem to find it.

I believe the actual plate looked very similar or same as to allflex but the mounts were completely different. But if you have that link I can definitely confirm that... So I can then sleep at night :)

A lot of Oxess boards I noticed. I wonder if there is much between Kessler Oxess SG and F2 in terms of performance. As in.. To regular people. 

45 minutes ago, pokkis said:

Here screenshot from race

F2.jpg

See the things above the top mounts? I think those are what I'm referring to... What are those? 

Also that logo above the top binding I saw a few with that. Anyone identify that? 

Still not sure it is an allflex. 

On 2/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, daveo said:

Can you link me that photo? I can't seem to find it.

I believe the actual plate looked very similar or same as to allflex but the mounts were completely different. But if you have that link I can definitely confirm that... So I can then sleep at night ?

DWycj-rU0AA7IgH.jpg

Edited by SunSurfer
broken links

Daveo,
Allflex plate plus something extra from the largest image I can find. 
Spot the semi-circular notch on the inside edge of the front boxes. Suggests this is a mechanism for getting more board bend while using an Allflex, to accommodate the front hinge effectively sliding forwards. Makes me wonder if they have disconnected the arms that lie under the plate, and removed the constraint that Allflex normally produces.

Edited by SunSurfer

Quite right, he had this elitist Euro thing going on and interjected the strangest associations at times. But then again trolling is the de jure standard of society today, from media to politics with the troll king himself as POTUS. 

Also did some resaerch but found  othinh on “FES”. Must be some kind of conspiracy.

FES. That's the one. Time for some detective work...

Anyone speak German? So much mention of FES, so little understanding... 

http://www.dosb.de/fileadmin/fm-dosb/arbeitsfelder/leistungssport/Veranstaltungen/Bundestrainer-Seminare/2014/SCHAALE_FES_Forum_Material_BTK2014.pdf

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

Ah got it. 

The "Institut for Forschung und Entwicklung von Sportgeraeten" - the Institute for Research and Development of Sport Equipment

And apparently they have one simple goal: to ensure that no German Olympic athlete is ever beaten because of inferior equipment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/olympics-germany-equipment/feature-olympics-german-engineering-key-ingredient-for-games-success-idUSL5N0L23BI20140128

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

Snowmatic also exhibited "troll" behaviour. I put him on my ignore list.

I totally miss Snowmatic. I used to relish his posts. In my head, I'd read them with an exaggerated German accent, ending with a triumphant, "now is ze time on Sprockets ven ve dance!" He was a master...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corey said:

My guess: the FES block houses a hinge and some kind of plunger so the plate can slide fore-aft. Maybe with a spring or bumper. 

This would prevent the AllFlex from locking the board flex at a certain point. 

See my first post after the one with pictures above, great minds......

Edited by SunSurfer

6 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

On the other hand, those hollow extrusions could simply house the air of mystery. And a pivot.

From the look of the camber profile on her board, Ester might have a go at Kayak slalom in two years time.

I think you are too cynical Erik. :)

The housing certainly conceals the mechanism from prying eyes, like ours.

The women got the prototypes, the guys got the aerodynamic version. Now there's a surprise.

Allflex already has a pivot at the front end of their plate. 

No. FES have decided that the semi-rigid alloy plate with hinges at each end concept can be improved. And like the Canadians at Vancouver with the Apex plate, they're trying to keep their powder dry.