Note to New Members ×

new board help

1xsculler

All Coilers currently in my quiver built for my 150 #s:  163 SL built to be as close to a 163 Rev as Bruce could do, 172 NFCB, 180 EC, 176 AM VSR. My 163 and 172 are my current favorites but that seems to change frequently.  I like a waist of 20* to 22* and tightish SCR as 99% of my carving is done on slopes that are a little too steep and narrow for my current ability.

I'm considering Doneks:  171 FC or 168ish REV, or a SG FC or Race 168ish to 172 or whatever you might suggest, hardboots, regular, 55/60, 3* lift and 3* inward cant on heel, 6* and 3* outward cant on toe.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

What do you want that is different from the ones you have? You have most of your bases covered and you listed a few that are very similar to boards you already own. A race board might not be your best bet for slopes that are above your ability. Boards don't get any easier to ride than Coilers. Maybe get something with a single SCR. I think they are more fun than variable SCR boards. 

Side note: most of your posts seem to be about frustration with your progression. Constantly changing boards might not be the answer. Master them one at a time. 

Edited by Carvin' Marvin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I appreciate the comments.  As of a few days ago I am out of the early, frantic, frustration phase where I was disappointed in my progress and am into the longer term fight to get lower, bend the board more and turn sharper.  I am also over thinking that I will find some special board with magic sauce which will, all of a sudden, make me a ton better but I always take two boards and frequently switch 1/2 way through my day. That really helps me differentiate between boards of different specs whelps me sharpen my pencil on what I like about each board.  I think I am looking for something in between my 163 and my 172, both of which I love.  My 172 NFCB was my least favorite board last December but is my favorite at this time although I have a lot of fun on that little 163 too.

Lessons...undoubtedly a good idea but I doubt it will ever happen...for what I'm trying to do, i.e. Corey turns, I will continue to be a loner here at Crystal Mt. and I am becoming very comfortable with that and may even prefer it. It does no good to be working on going slower and trying to make tighter turns when your carving buddy is into bigger, longer and faster turns.

Edited by 1xsculler

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived and of grumpy. I'll try to be more helpful. I would have a single SCR board for sure. They are consistent and tons of fun. Maybe look at a wide proteus. It is very energetic though. Sean will make it in whatever SCR, width, and length you want. 

I really learned to get lower and ride smoother on my 12/14 SCR 175 Stubby (which I consider my loooooong board).  As Corey mentioned in another thread the longer SCR gives you more time to settle into the turn and figure out how the board reacts to input.  Keep pushing with more aggression each day and your turns will start to come around sharper and harder. Little turny boards are a blast but they don't give you much time to sort yourself out before it's time to turn again. That being said, I much prefer short turny boards. All about the turns per run baby. 

• Like 1

Something to consider about the SG FullCarve vs FullRace: I remember reading somewhere (but for the life of me can‘t find it again) that Sigi himself doesn’t freeride on the FullRace lineup, but only uses them for racing and training.

Purely anecdotal, can’t substantiate it. 

1X,  it takes some time for newer boards to get figured out.  I was trying real hard to bend my board in the nose, initiating the turn, then off the tail in the exit.  Was not liking my board.  Then you start reading some posts and messing around with stance, big mistake.  Take the board that is giving you some trouble and ride it.  Skid it, free ride it around do some carves too.  The board will let you know how it wants to be ridden.  I was giving my board too much input and all I really needed was to keep working on getting higher on edge.  After I figured that out, I could make tighter carves,  and keep speed in check while also working on getting lower.

• Like 1

@1xsculler... Beckmann has a point. I'm going to take it a step further. Go ride with other carvers. Drive/fly whatever, just go. Only take a couple of boards and a adjustable pair of bindings.  Don't worry about the size of their "home" hill. Fantastic insights can come from the smallest bumps.

Don't tell us the obstacles... Find a way around them.

If you do this you'll find our community more giving than you can imagine.  I know I have.

Thanks to all that have welcomed me and guided my path to becoming a better rider. Much appreciated! :biggthump

• Like 1

What Beckman said, or similar.  Take the coin you are ready to drop on a new ride, and instead invest it in a trip where there are lots of other riders, post up on the various ride boards and see if anyone bites.  Failing that, video and pics are a good way to see what you are doing right, and not so right in your turns, so cajole one of your skiing family members to spend some time shooting you

Mario

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Hire Corey for a few days.

If he's up for it, that would be more time/cost effective than lobbing darts in the dark.

I'm not a cheap date. LOL! Mr. Beckmann is closer and has about a million times more experience. 

I learned more in one trip to ride with others than I did in a few years by myself. Just don't be shy to ask questions and advice, but stop before you annoy your new friends. ;) 

4 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

All Coilers currently in my quiver built for my 150 #s:  163 SL built to be as close to a 163 Rev as Bruce could do, 172 NFCB, 180 EC, 176 AM VSR. My 163 and 172 are my current favorites but that seems to change frequently.  I like a waist of 20* to 22* and tightish SCR as 99% of my carving is done on slopes that are a little too steep and narrow for my current ability.

I'm considering Doneks:  171 FC or 168ish REV, or a SG FC or Race 168ish to 172 or whatever you might suggest, hardboots, regular, 55/60, 3* lift and 3* inward cant on heel, 6* and 3* outward cant on toe.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Donek on the menu? How about a shortish Nomad? You might start to like the pow again and it will stil carve great on groomers... 

Your quiver is loaded with carvers, but empty as far as the real am / freeride / pow boards go... 

Hey Bob

Next time we ride, I'll slow it down and tighten it up. Although I'm not a great hardbooter I can carve the crap out of softoots and I can certainly go a lot slower and tighter in hardboots than the other day. This week I'm buried at work but normally I can ride whenever. By the way, today was the best pow day of the year at Crystal. Everything was awesome. The earlier

suggestion of a Nomad might help to expand your horizons. Crystal is an awesome mountain for riding pow! Pow runs off Rex, 6 and Northway were tremendous today. With the forecasted temps the groomers will hold up well this week. Wish I could be there.

Warren

2 hours ago, Corey said:

I'm not a cheap date. LOL! Mr. Beckmann is closer and has about a million times more experience.

Right, but he wants to ride like you. Education takes time and/or money, and I don't think he's in a position to employ the Twelve Monkeys learning process. And that means spending money, like a sniper with a specific target.

Besides, I'm already overbooked with projects, nearly twice as distant, and wrapped in metaphoric concertina-wire.

Edited by Beckmann AG

@Eric Brammer aka PSR would be an excellent choice... Meet him at Okemo or for additional input find a way to convince him to go to Loon. There's some overqualified riders there... really nice fellows!

Other destinations:

-Loveland and A-Basin, fantastic crew and the Continental Divide

-Twin Cities, tons of excellent riders on small bumps

-Montucky, The "no tune just ride" crew is exceptional

-Quebec, plenty of talented riders in the area

-Detroit area has a couple of coaches with a good eye.

Hell just goto Milkland and bug that old dude about a third strap. He seems to paddle out everyday... Probably knows a thing or two.

Or just hang out locally and hope your ship comes in. 

PS- Buy a goPro, give it to the grandkids and post video. Keep ego in check and benefit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Omg...that’s him. big face palm

You lost me there. Aaron is Carvin' Marvin, not 1xsculler, correct?

17 minutes ago, slopestar said:

I could use a bigger radius board and to lose 30 lbs...

You could make better use of your rear foot on the heel side, but that's not much use to the OP unless he sees  himself in your riding.

On the other hand, if he took it upon himself to post footage, he'd probably get enough 'free' critique to keep him busy for awhile.

40 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

All else aside I'm always open for some critique.

Is there something in particular you'd like to change in your riding, or do you have goals you're not meeting?

40 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

No worries Lance

In the event I managed to offend in the previous posts, that wasn't my intent. If you can improve your ability to manage the bend in the board from tip to tail, you may find that a bigger sidecut isn't immediately necessary.

Edited by Beckmann AG