Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

17 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Yes..  Carve specific bindings please!  better angles.. I too do the toilet seat turn initiation first move on heel side (its an angle thing)... But all is not lost as my new pick up in boots should make a huge difference..  I will know is two days what will be the next step..  at some point I don't want to go to far to lose the softie benefits...too far means..."WTF I might as well wear my hard boots now that Im on a 40/50 angles..and just ride the board with plates"...  I want to be able to just carve enough then go hit the soft snow and bumps...and not have to bring two sets of everything when I take a trip..  I think the opposite is possible too..  I have a more soft snow, powder specific hard boot coming in the mail today...  gee that will solve everything.. why am I doing this silly softboot carving again.....doh!!  Because it feels different..in a good way...

v0RL7_s-200x150.gif

Yup.  Carving specific bindings seems must if riders wants to keep the stance angles to be 'normal'.  As you mentioned, I also noticed heelside blowout (at end of the turn) when I rode with 27F/12R.  The board flex also played.  But if I have more support on heelside turns, I could press or stack more the edge.  Only way I can get those kind of support from highback is to sticking butt out with the binding angle. Maybe.... more forward stance angles (40/30) and watch for soft spots?  or Extending highbacks where I press on heelside turn, like wings.  (as a regular stance rider, I need left wing on both bindings)?    Dang..another thing or two to test...

Edited by piusthedrcarve

1 hour ago, piusthedrcarve said:

press on heelside turn, like wings. 

Yep ,,we been talking about this... stiff wing highbacks ...love to see that!  maybe we should use these wiz bang people on here with dem fancy shmancy 3D printers to make us some stiff highbacks with wings... some sort of retro fit replacement high back.. since pressure would need to be on the same side front and back,, goofy and regular wing highbacks would be needed....ugggg.. I wish I had a machine shop...and now I need a 3D printer too.... what next....

2 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

We had those....  Nordica SBH's..  hmmm   I just saw a pair on ebay....  

Wait,, what about these?  anyone Apex..?

I'm thinking you need to put a pair of Atomic Backlands in your hand.  So light... so light... Follow the pokkis... he knows the direction.

2 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Extending highbacks where I press on heelside turn, like wings.  (as a regular stance rider, I need left wing on both bindings)?    Dang..another thing or two to test...

I made a simple aluminum wing that I added to my front highback.  15 years ago?  Maybe 1/8" plate, bent it by hand on the corner of a bench, attached to the highbacks of whatever bindings I had with button-head screws.  Then I scrounged up some dense foam to make up the difference between the highback and the plate behind it.  

It worked!  Not a game changer, but I was also surprised that I didn't bend it.  

6 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Only way I can get those kind of support from highback is to sticking butt out with the binding angle. Maybe.... more forward stance angles (40/30) and watch for soft spots?  or Extending highbacks where I press on heelside turn, like wings.  (as a regular stance rider, I need left wing on both bindings)?    Dang..another thing or two to test...

I've been experimenting with different angles, my two setups: 45/42 is for those super aggressive angulations, extremely like hardboot technique. 36 27  I use for freeride, and  I've found my butt is naturally more outside the  board during heelsides, it has nothing to do  with highback support, the stance physically pushes your butt out. A lot of people say  when you start learning carving (softboot), you should try it out with setups like 27/9, but we've learned that going big is the best way  to really learn the intuition of the side to side transitions, I set up anyone starting out with ~40/30, and it works!

4 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

We had those....  Nordica SBH's..  hmmm   I just saw a pair on ebay....  

Wait,, what about these?  anyone Apex..?

2732.jpg

Apex boots are super gimicky, they also have that softboot in DIN ski boot, it sucks  really bad. After one season my  dad  ditched it and switched to a basic Salomon  90 flex. As state above, higher binding  setups are always  better at alpine techniques, but going over 45 would mean dramatic decrease in side to side support.

32 minutes ago, pauleleven said:

I've been experimenting with different angles, my two setups: 45/42 is for those super aggressive angulations, extremely like hardboot technique. 36 27  I use for freeride, and  I've found my butt is naturally more outside the  board during heelsides, it has nothing to do  with highback support, the stance physically pushes your butt out. A lot of people say  when you start learning carving (softboot), you should try it out with setups like 27/9, but we've learned that going big is the best way  to really learn the intuition of the side to side transitions, I set up anyone starting out with ~40/30, and it works!

I know it works with high stance angles. But I broke my front ankle and metatarsal (twice) when I nose-dived with higher angles. (Probably 45-ish). That’s why I started hard-booting initially. 

Looking for binding solution for low stance angles. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

I know it works with high stance angles. But I broke my front ankle and metatarsal (twice) when I nose-dived with higher angles. (Probably 45-ish). That’s why I started hard-booting initially. 

Looking for binding solution for low stance angles. 

Thought this interesting, using HB to avoid ankle injuries....just thinking of Annie and what her ankle looked like after a full load had no place else to go...JB had to stop SB because of his Ankle pains, he has been Smiling since I put a 3rd strap on for him over 20 years ago, of course Dave B destroyed his ankle using SB as well...wonder if it really matters which you use, sometimes the Torque just goes to the wrong place...

7 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Thought this interesting, using HB to avoid ankle injuries....just thinking of Annie and what her ankle looked like after a full load had no place else to go...JB had to stop SB because of his Ankle pains, he has been Smiling since I put a 3rd strap on for him over 20 years ago, of course Dave B destroyed his ankle using SB as well...wonder if it really matters which you use, sometimes the Torque just goes to the wrong place...

:)  hmm.. When I think back, it wasn't the reason but betterment of carving.  :)  But after those 2 accidents, I totally ditched the softboots. My boots were made by Marker, ... they were bullest and stiffest boots with plastic insert for its tongue and thick and bulky highbacks that were integrated with Marker's side step-in bindings.  I rode them on probably 40-50 degree angles to carve.   Riding style was old-fashioned way, for-after movement. I was at late 20s.  When it happened, my front knee hit the snow.  Boots were still locked into the bindings but the front binding pulled the heelside inserts out so were hanged loose.  Ouch.   I learned that No matter how stiff softboots setup is, first thing that fold would be the boots' ankle without any stopping.

Last few seasons, I started to ride softboots on BX or carving specific snowboards.  I had to suppress adrenaline to ride super aggressive and focus on my weight distribution more.  I rode hardboots at same condition with less attention, knowing that hardboots will have a hard stop point that eventually break the board or pull inserts out before my ankle gets fold beyond point that it shouldn't.  I will be much more happy standing with a broken $2k board than lying on the toboggan sled.  The 3rd strap idea would be perfect solution for high stance angles with surfing style carving (I know you already do).  But, softbooting needs ankle movements for various type of ridings with low stance angle and the 3rd straps idea is restricting the movement, I think.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piusthedrcarve said:

knowing that hardboots will have a hard stop point that eventually break the board or pull inserts out before my ankle gets fold beyond point that it shouldn't.  I will be much more happy standing with a broken $2k board than lying on the toboggan sled. 

This line concerns me and is not always the case. I used to race in Raichle Flexon Comps and tore the bottom 1/2" of my tibia off due to the small ligament not giving. Riding a "race prepped" course for the womens WC I didn't feed the board through a toeside turn. The back of the board snapped out violently breaking the bone inside the boot.

Ink

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

I had to suppress adrenaline to ride super aggressive and focus on my weight distribution more.  I rode hardboots at same condition with less attention, knowing that hardboots will have a hard stop point that eventually break the board or pull inserts out before my ankle gets fold beyond point that it shouldn't. 

Holy shit man, I have never paid attention to that, gotta be more careful next time I go for the aggressive turns then...

1 hour ago, pauleleven said:

Holy shit man, I have never paid attention to that, gotta be more careful next time I go for the aggressive turns then...

Sorry for scaring you. It did happened after landing from a jump that caused my upper body to go over board. The other happened when a soft spot held the board. while I was charging. 

2 hours ago, inkaholic said:

This line concerns me and is not always the case. I used to race in Raichle Flexon Comps and tore the bottom 1/2" of my tibia off due to the small ligament not giving. Riding a "race prepped" course for the womens WC I didn't feed the board through a toeside turn. The back of the board snapped out violently breaking the bone inside the boot.

Ink

Thanks for sharing...but Ouch. I will pay more attentions from now on. 

24 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Sorry for scaring you. It did happened after landing from a jump that caused my upper body to go over board. The other happened when a soft spot held the board. while I was charging. 

Holy shit that must suck so bad...

Could a side folding happen with softboot funcarving? ~45 front binding, higher speed (60-70km), super aggressive turn?

Ink is certainly not the exception...I have seen a number of Leg Breaks from Torque, having no where else to go...Bryan comes to mind right away as well..and of course Annies ankle Injury, where the local Orthopedic surgeon wanted to put a rod and 6 screws in her ankle... .When I have gone High side with my set up, the 168 soft stick, mixed with the SB set up I use, actually allows a get away, at least so far...that I would not get with a HB set up IMO :ph34r: 1st day Groom at high speed could certainly cause a side folding of a SB 45 45 stance to happen, that is why 1st day groom gets more respect from me, even 2nd day groom here can have soft pockets, that when riding you need to be prepared to hit...

• Like 1