Note to New Members ×

Does Skwaling make you a better snowboard carver ?

lowrider

2 hours ago, lowrider said:

I notice a definite refinement in my balance but i don't get to practice my heel side turns.

Do you carve only toe 360s on skwal? 

Every snow sliding device makes me a better on the other devices too. It also crosses to other board sports, as well as into non-related sports. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlueB said:

Every snow sliding device makes me a better on the other devices too. It also crosses to other board sports, as well as into non-related sports. 

Absolutely agree...  Switching boards/gear/sports all improves balance and timing and more.

"Do you carve only toe 360's on Skwal ? " I find it to be a much lighter heel input since the main input is tail loading  through weight transfer to the rear (since you are standing in a very forward posture). Peddling isn't  necessary or much of an option when riding a Skwal

3 hours ago, lowrider said:

I hope this doesn't translate into " And we never will "

No, just an observation. Although personally I have no interest. My home mountain doesn’t have much terrain that would be good for a skwall. Need a lot of fore/aft leverage here. 

• Like 1

I would say from a balance, and flexor development stand point it certainly does. It definitely makes one more comfortable with steeper binding angles.

IMG_20140215_125227_645.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot
To Jack's "terrain" comment, the Coda is perfect for mixed terrain and conditions!

3 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

No, just an observation. Although personally I have no interest. My home mountain doesn’t have much terrain that would be good for a skwall. Need a lot of fore/aft leverage here. 

How do you know the terrain isn't good for a skwal if you have never been on one?  Any terrain that is good for skis and boards is good for a skwal if you know what you are doing.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Algunderfoot said:

I would say from a balance, and flexor development stand point it certainly does. It definitely makes one more comfortable with steeper binding angles.

IMG_20140215_125227_645.jpg

Ha!  That is the best board pic ever  :-!?.   I could play that guitar.  Its the same binding angles as my slalom water ski.  Damn, that's cool.

I had a break thru day that day, was momentarily channeling Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick). In Summer I ride a Goode slalom ski with canted hardboots as well ?. If Alpine Snowboarding has a Surf inspiration, Skwalling definitely has a waterskiing connection! Just without the boat, gas, rope and friends, lol

6 hours ago, *Ace* said:

How do you know the terrain isn't good for a skwal if you have never been on one?  Any terrain that is good for skis and boards is good for a skwal if you know what you are doing.

How do you know what you’re talking about if you’re never been to Sugarloaf?

Is anybody racing World Cup on a skwall?

• Like 1

Seriously though, I was pretty surprised how similar the Skwal felt with some speed. The slow speed stuff still kills me, and I really struggle to side slip. I'd probably pick it up with more practice, but I'd rather ride an alpine board most of the time. 

The Skwal comes out when I'm bored at the local hill. It's different enough to keep things interesting. 

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

How do you know what you’re talking about if you’re never been to Sugarloaf?

Is anybody racing World Cup on a skwall?

Sugarloaf is another world? Seriously ,have you ever seen Ace or any other highly skilled skwaller ride? World Cup? Sure, you could lay down carves with a pure form, pop some stylish air between turns. Will you win the race? NO! I don’t generally wear a stopwatch while riding to see how fast I can get to the bottom and I don’t crash gates much either ( more power to those who do ). Really? Come on. By the way it’s spelled Skwal, with one L.

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

I personally don't think so, but someone in the past must have had a worry about some unfair advantage... 

I doubt that very much. If there was an advantage, you'd see racers using gear designed right up to the limit of allowed dimensions and stances.  i.e., the limit for waist width is 16cm; everyone would be racing on 16cm boards if they offered an advantage.  I suspect the rule was enacted because someone tried it, and the powers that be saw them and said no, that's not alpine snowboarding. Kind of like how speed suits are banned.  If they were actually worried about an unfair advantage, that worry was not well informed.

7 hours ago, digger jr said:

Sugarloaf is another world? Seriously ,have you ever seen Ace or any other highly skilled skwaller ride? World Cup? Sure, you could lay down carves with a pure form, pop some stylish air between turns. Will you win the race? NO! I don’t generally wear a stopwatch while riding to see how fast I can get to the bottom and I don’t crash gates much either ( more power to those who do ). Really? Come on. By the way it’s spelled Skwal, with one L.

I have personally seen Ace ride his skwal at the ECES, as well as a number of skwallers over the years.  If you can boil it all down to a single thing we need most when carving, I would say it's edge hold.  Without that there is nothing else.  I see skwallers getting less edge hold than alpine snowboarders, not more.  I also see skwallers having a harder time on steeps than alpine snowboarders.  Sugarloaf has a lot of steeps.

The point about racing is that racers use the best snowboard gear for carving most efficiently and effectively.  That's my goal.

You make my point for me though - it's as silly to say "if you've never ridden one you don't know" as it is to say "if you've never ridden here you don't know".  I don't need to try telemark or snowblades to know that I'm not interested in them either.  I can see for myself what they are capable of without trying them, and I want more.

Hey look it's all just glorified sledding, which is pretty absurd.  We're not curing cancer here.  If you want to try sledding down the hill in a different way, awesome.  Does Skwalling make you a better snowboard carver?  Possibly yes, possibly no.  Lots of things can be used as training drills, such as riding with your boots unbuckled, riding duck, riding backwards, skwalling, etc.

• LOL 1

8 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Is anybody racing World Cup on a Skwal?

Not WC, but did you get to watch any of the Sugarloaf Open back in '92?

There were, I think, two competitors on the Skwal. Looked well accomplished freeriding, but awkward and uncomfortable on the course itself.

Coming into the Headwall, the one guy looked like Hoffa signaling for a rescue chopper.  With similar results.

7 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Not WC, but did you get to watch any of the Sugarloaf Open back in '92?

There were, I think, two competitors on the Skwal. Looked well accomplished freeriding, but awkward and uncomfortable on the course itself.

Coming into the Headwall, the one guy looked like Hoffa signaling for a rescue chopper.  With similar results.

Yes, I had a similar impression.